MacroAlgae to use?

RAV-65

Hi all,

intending to try using macroalgae to reduce the phosphate level in my tank, can someone advise which type would be most effective, where to get it and how it looks like? Would greatly appreciate if you could post a pic.

Btw, another stupid question but I've never kept macroalgae before... do I need to use sand to plant them in? or juz throw into the sump with lights on??

Thanxs!

Vincent Ho :thanks:

People do not plan to fail; Often they just fail to plan...

Wat I do to prevent myself from tearing my hair out... My stress remedy...

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• SRC Member

throw in ref and turn lights on. why not u try a variety of macroalgae as different species take in different propertions of pollutants. some may take more of a certain kind of pollutant. so maybe keeping a variety is the best, different kinds of pollutants can be absorbed efficiently. Just my opinion.

Live and Let Live

no lah. they will grow and reach sexual maturity.

they will then release the gametes which pollutes your tank and crashes your tank.

they can also release caulerpa toxins if not pruned properly. but the dosage they release is little to do significant damage...or so I learnt from a reefer. (=

• SRC Member
caluerpa racemosa.

got a small bundle from a reefer here no larger than three fistfuls, and within a month, they overgrown my whole sump. very good. must prune like siao also. :P

How does this caluerpa racemosa looks like??? :huh:

• SRC Member
sea grapes.

OORRR...those green grapes right... :lol: ok...I have it but it doesnt seem to be growing in my sump.....it used to grow damp fast in my previous 2 footer under a 150MH!

Does it required very stronge lights? :huh:

no lah. they will grow and reach sexual maturity.

they will then release the gametes which pollutes your tank and crashes your tank.

they can also release caulerpa toxins if not pruned properly. but the dosage they release is little to do significant damage...or so I learnt from a reefer. (=

haha..thats right :P

• SRC Member

As far as I am concerned I find that growing macroaglae to get rid of PO4 is quite tough becasue of all the work required to maintain the algae. The growth can be super fast and sometimes you still have alot of PO4 in the water. And not to mention, the chores of prunning this macroaglae is really a pain. You will never know when they go sexual - they will happy happy die on you when you touch them or shift them.

And unless you have a very big refugium - otherwise it is difficult to obtain the equilibrium state whereby your PO4 reach 0.01. I have tear down my macroalgae culture and start using Rowa where I could achieve below zero reading.

If you are still keen on macroaglae, avoid caulerpa racemosa - use sea lettuce instead.

• SRC Member

one rock of culerpa racemosa almost turned sexual yesterday. it had britles growing out of it and was discoloured.. hinting that it was going to go sexual. immediately threw that bunch away.

Live and Let Live

• SRC Member
people normally grow macroalgae to get rid of NO3....

as for caulerpa racemosa, its rated as one of the best NO3 removers in existence.

But if you have too high a level of nitrate - some macro will not take it well - they will also turn sexual. As for PO4, usu a certain small amount of PO4 is used by the macroalgae but not sufficient to use it solely for PO4 removal. On the other hand if PO4 reached zero - the macro aglae will turn sexual- not sure how true this is as I have get rid of the culture. Maybe somebody like to share their experiences.

I believe there are other better alternative to Caulerpa racemosa like Chaetomorpha and Gracilaria. A few reefers are using Chaetomorpha - they are generally safer as they do not turn sexual so easily.

• SRC Member

sorry newbies, what ur guys mean "sexual".

I have few sea grape in sump ( with 24w on 24x7 ), in 2 days time change color to yellow.

Does it mean gone sexual ?

Am I supposed to throw away also ?

Life is like a peice of Uncured Live Rock [ from LFS ], you never know what you gonna get.........

Ocean Gump

• SRC Member
read the earlier post in this thread. (=

Read lar, not much understand, so ask question ;)

Life is like a peice of Uncured Live Rock [ from LFS ], you never know what you gonna get.........

Ocean Gump

As far as I am concerned I find that growing macroaglae to get rid of PO4 is quite tough becasue of all the work required to maintain the algae. The growth can be super fast and sometimes you still have alot of PO4 in the water. And not to mention, the chores of prunning this macroaglae is really a pain. You will never know when they go sexual - they will happy happy die on you when you touch them or shift them.

And unless you have a very big refugium - otherwise it is difficult to obtain the equilibrium state whereby your PO4 reach 0.01. I have tear down my macroalgae culture and start using Rowa where I could achieve below zero reading.

If you are still keen on macroaglae, avoid caulerpa racemosa - use sea lettuce instead.

Wah.... throw me off balance again.... so izit better with a refugium or not?! seems that the macroalgae is like a time bomb?

Vincent Ho

People do not plan to fail; Often they just fail to plan...

Wat I do to prevent myself from tearing my hair out... My stress remedy...

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• SRC Member

like i say i got a marcoalgae plant from sentosa beach ,found at sallows water and wow my nitrate dipped to 0 , i got a whole plant now half the leave botak coz the naso tang keep on eating the plant i brought in :D