What to put in sump?

Hi, I was wondering, other then putting my Fuge , skimmer and return pump, what more should i put in my 2ft sump? Read from some thread that it's not advisable to put sponge or bio balls as unwanted bacteria might be traped in there. So what should i put? Pls advice. Thanks

• SRC Member

if u have space, a refugium would be good..

if u got the cash, cal reactor...

The world is such a wicked place,war btween the human race. People work to earn their bread,while across the sea they're counting dead

:) my sump ...my fuge ....i use coral chip .... which i think account for my high nitrate level

post-6-1089159501.jpg

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

does coral chip really account for the high nitrate level in tank ? why ? if you don't mind i ask

LiveRock :)

Simply because it will also trap all the dirts and food. ;)

• SRC Member

Simply because it will also trap all the dirts and food. ;)

i see .. then what usually reefer use in their sump? other than chemical filters (carbon, phos removal, filter wools, dsb) ?

cos' i have the same problem with nitrate also, other than return pumps and the skimmer, my sump has

(1) coral chips

(2) carbon (cheap no brand type)

(3) rowaphos

(4) de*nitrate (seachem)

all properties seems alright except for calcium and nitrate both on the high side...

(just started 2 months ago... not much fish and coral yet)..

any advise ?

i see .. then what usually reefer use in their sump? other than chemical filters (carbon, phos removal, filter wools, dsb) ?

cos' i have the same problem with nitrate also, other than return pumps and the skimmer, my sump has

(1) coral chips

(2) carbon (cheap no brand type)

(3) rowaphos

(4) de*nitrate (seachem)

all properties seems alright except for calcium and nitrate both on the high side...

(just started 2 months ago... not much fish and coral yet)..

any advise ?

thought calcium on the high end is good news?? or u are worrying tht your corallina algae in not using up the CA

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

• SRC Member
thought calcium on the high end is good news?? or u are worrying tht your corallina algae in not using up the CA

High calcium is good news when its between 400 - 450 ppm ... mine is at 500 ppm. anyway, calcium is my least concern, it is the nitrate that worrys me.

how to bring it down ? remove the coral chips ?

CHEERS !

If all means of mechanical filtration will trap the food and dirt , is it advisable not to put any sponge or coral chips in my sump? On the other hand, if there's no mechanical filtration, then what's gonna trap all the dirt? The tank will be dirty~ Any advice?

By feeding less will bring down the nitrate level, my 2 cents worth.

• SRC Member

afew mths back... i was asking the same question.

Tanzy advice me to put only DSB in the sump which i did,

no sponge no wool.. leftover food and dirt goes straight into the sand bed, food for good bacteria. maturing the DSB fast,

so far, my water condition is consider the best comparing with other filter medium i used..

• SRC Member
afew mths back... i was asking the same question.

Tanzy advice me to put only DSB in the sump which i did,

no sponge no wool.. leftover food and dirt goes straight into the sand bed, food for good bacteria. maturing the DSB fast,

so far, my water condition is consider the best comparing with other filter medium i used..

OK .. worth a try for me ...

so more or less the coral chips has to go ? ...

CHEERS !

Been to some LFS and saw their sump. Some of them actually place LRs in their sump. Will it work better den coral chips?

Rockfish, so your whole sump just consist of DSB, skimmer, and return pump? nothing else?

• SRC Member
how to bring it down ? remove the coral chips ?

CHEERS !

Yup Rockfish, remove all those coral chips, they are just nitrate factory. they simply trap dirt and sh*t and ends up rotting in there. Same for putting those sponge.

nitrate really really on the high side? maybe u can use AZNO3 to bring down the nitrate then try to maintain from there..

juz my $0.02

• SRC Member

Another way of doing it is to have loads of LR in the sump w/o lighting and make do without the DSB. filtration from the LR instead...

Actually i am thinking of removing my DSB in the sump and replacing it with lots of LR... no need to light up the refugre and thus lower elec bills and less heat gained by the water... leadin to lower runtimes for the chiller too :)

Another way of doing it is to have loads of LR in the sump w/o lighting and make do without the DSB. filtration from the LR instead...

Actually i am thinking of removing my DSB in the sump and replacing it with lots of LR... no need to light up the refugre and thus lower elec bills and less heat gained by the water... leadin to lower runtimes for the chiller too :)

i agree with u alfa, IMHO, i think loading with LRs in sump, somehow or rather it's safer.

juz me 2 cents. ;)

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png

• SRC Member

Adding LR in sump without lighting... what is the objective/purpose for it to be there?...

me too, saw some LFS having liverock in their sump and sprinkle with their tank water on the LR in the sump ... but what is the effect / benefit will that be?..

anyone ?

CHEERS!

LiveRock

• SRC Member

I think the spinkling gives the same effect as trickle filtration. It really helps oxgenate the water. Bacteria have no problem growing on damp LR. Just as long as it does dry up. Cheers! :D