Is Staghorn Liverock Good?

• SRC Member

Hey...a farm told me that the current rage is on staghorn liverock which are rather lightweight. I wonder if it is as good as the liverock that are usually used in marine tanks. Contemplating swopping to them...Advice?

Thanks... :bow:

Rage? Liverock should bought in a variety of form, size and density.

It's silly to have everything in just one form.

IMO, for those who rely on LR for filtration purposes are better off with big and dense ones. Flat and long ones for coral placements and 'tonga branch' ones for some interesting shapes that give height while allowing max water flow thru.

Rockscaping is an art and skill.... and can't really be taught... it's to your own liking and experience to see how your own reef should form.

I guess diving helps or a cheaper way is to look at diving magazines and looking at natural reefscapes to get inspiration!

• SRC Member

Tonga branches are definitely not light weight. They are great for support but lousy to place corals on.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

Have always been using the common ones and thought this will enhance water quality and a way out of the weight issue...Seems got to do further studies on it...More opinions?

Moreover, it's more ex than the ones quoted in this thread...

Thanks...Nearly kanna conned... :P

• SRC Member
IMO fiji live rocks are better... tonga live rocks seem very sophisticated to me.

So while Fiji rocks drink kopi, Tonga rocks drink latte. :lol:

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member
i find fiji very coy. Tonga is wilder , more daring and open. like an ah lian on K

Frogive me... Dun understand what you meant by the last phrase...Muar suaku...Needs elaboration... :P

Hi,

Can anyone tell me where can I buy Fuji or Tonga or Florida liverock or livesand in Singapore? I found them very nice and colourful.

Please advice.

Thanx.

shld be able to get from Sup**** Aquarium

"shld" because can't tell the diff bet them but if according to spidy, tonga is the branch type and from here derive fuji is the stone type :P

10 for stone type and 15 for the branch

another place after talu (always mix up farmway 1 and 2, not the 1 with camp)

selling aus import at 18

hope it help

• SRC Member

Fiji LR comes from the island of Fiji and the other Polynesian islands. It is usually not of the branching type but that doesn't mean that all non-branching rock is from Fiji. Fiji rock is very porous and light. The coralline coverage is high and you will often find SPS on it. Definitely cost >>$10/kg. Tonga branch rocks are also from the Polynesian islands in the South Pacific.

The normal LR we get is from Indonesia. The quality is usually quite poor. The rock is dense and lumpy. Should cost about $10/kg.

I don't think there are aquacultured Florida rocks for sale locally.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

go old changi hospital at night.If u lucky u get to see some ah lians extending

chey: tonga look more like tree branches than rocks

Eh? Did'nt know hospital also can... Next time you go bring digi cam la

Then can show us wad you mean.. :rolleyes:

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

can someone post some pics of their nice fiji rocks? i hardly see those around the LFS

Rain*** used to bring in nice fiji live rocks at $25 per kg and i got from them for my unlce tank but they charge me only $12 per kg cos i know the unlce :eyebrow::eyebrow::eyebrow::eyebrow: BTW i also got 7kg for my tank

• SRC Member

Rain*** used to bring in nice fiji live rocks at $25 per kg and i got from them for my unlce tank but they charge me only $12 per kg cos i know the unlce :eyebrow::eyebrow::eyebrow::eyebrow: BTW i also got 7kg for my tank

post a pic leh.. wanna see how fiji LR looks like