Max tempreture sps can take??

Went out the whole day....reached home and found my Pac. Cool chiller alarm went off...........found the pump connected to my chiller was off as I was messing ard with the sockets earlier today............the temp shown on the LCD went up to 33 degrees(in the chiller), tank temp went up to 31degrees due to the continuous cooking from the 2x 250MH..............

Though polyps are still extending and corals are expanding well......I think I will only know the outcome much later.......

Anyone else had this exp??

wonder how many casualties I get from this episode....hmmm................

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wah liew bro, murphy after looking for me and AT, go find u liaoz!!! :( ur incident is somewhat similar to mine. it depends on how long ur sps were exposed to the 32 degrees centigrade water.

DB, any visible signs of slimming now?

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png

not yet ..... polyps extending well....I switched off the lights...will wait until it comes down to 26 degrees before I do anything. My fishes wont like the drastic temp change....hope ich doesnt breakout .... <_<

wow...moron_clown wasn't as lucky like you

I know...so were DA and LigthningStrike.....so I am hoping the damage wont be so bad...keeping fingers crossed. :pinch:

slowly bring down the temp....... watch out for stress signs from sps. think ur sps not exposed to the high temp for 2 long........ hope everything will be okie for u. ;)

:off: huh??? Murphy oso go find moron_clown new 4ft tank setup??? :(

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png

You may have some bleaching from the more sensitive corals.... but if the temperature spike wasn't too long, they will recover. Good luck to you.... seems quite a few of us have been visited by Mr Murphy. :(

I think one of the blessings I have maybe the increased water flow in my tank...added two more Sieo Pumps this morning and they are right on top....the increase water movt should have helped slowed down the rise in temp....

Just checked..no slime from any acros or coral bleaching......think it shouldnt be too bad..will probably know by tomorrow

• SRC Member

Probably your temperature spike was not too long so your corals were not exposed to prolong high temperature.

Wah lau lately got too many people with chiller malfunction, think must install safeguard to kill the lights if temperature reaches a certain value. Think AT has this set up in his tank right?

• SRC Member

my atman chiller was down for around two days temp also gone up

to 31 or so~~ so what i did was to switch off those pumps in the sump

except for the return pump and i use two box fan to blow over it

thank God nothing happen

• SRC Member

Dont worry, if u had saved it on time, should be OK, even the corals will look weird or colour changed.

Last 2 weeks ago I had this experience. My chiller didnt start and temperature went up to 31.5 C. Then I quickly switch on the chiller and brought it down to 29C. Meanwhile I maintained that temperature for 3 hrs. Then reduce the temp again to 27C and maintained there for another 3 hrs. Finally, I have set back to my required temperature. Seems all OK.

• SRC Member

hmm with so many incidents of water heating up due to power lost or chiller spoilt, maybe time we consider getting a cheap resun as backup chiller? i thot of this sometime back when my teco went down but no space to put the 2nd unit. hopefully, there will be some cheap and smaller footprint chillers around for sale soon.

my problem is becos daytime temp without mh can hit 29-30 cos it is at balcony where the sun cooks the space the entire afternoon so a mh cut off is no good at all for my purpose.

From what I have read in the forum so far...not many had chiller breakdown problem...its my fault for forgetting to check the socket after meddling with it. ;)

Just to clarify...the chiller is working fine and doing a great job for my tank :lol:

If only I know how to set a second chiller...and put a probe so when the temp rises too high (beyond the settings of the main chiller) the back up will kick in :P

Ah....already spending too much for this hobby liaoz...dun want to go so far :lol::lol:

• SRC Member

hello..casualty report,30% sps rtn-ed.had to frag off alot of pieces.green monti dead,orange monti cap barely made it......to think one of the bigger colonies starting to turn pinkish......

happened like this,forgotten to set timer after i reset it,my 500watts boiled the water,a piece of filter sponge got stuck in the inlet of the chiller(exactly the same chiller as bro deepblue)and yea,temperature went up to 33 degrees....water felt warm....some fishes were gasping and i can see tissues flying out of my sps....certainly not a wonderful sight..... :blink:

• SRC Member
From what I have read in the forum so far...not many had chiller breakdown problem...its my fault for forgetting to check the socket after meddling with it. ;)

Just to clarify...the chiller is working fine and doing a great job for my tank :lol:

If only I know how to set a second chiller...and put a probe so when the temp rises too high (beyond the settings of the main chiller) the back up will kick in :P

Ah....already spending too much for this hobby liaoz...dun want to go so far :lol::lol:

i'm already planning that...i'm planning to get a 1.5hp for my backup...temperature set at 29....

• SRC Member

that can be considered breakdown liao...

i intented to put one pri and one backup with settings of 26 and 28 respectively. so the backup will not kick in unless the pri fails and water reaches 28. once a month, swop the setting to give the backup a run. too bad no space for 2nd chiller, otherwise i will seriously consider it, esp now when my ric floridas are doing well and sps seems to thrive. cannot afford to lose them all now! too ex to restock!!!

• SRC Member
I think one of the blessings I have maybe the increased water flow in my tank...added two more Sieo Pumps this morning and they are right on top....the increase water movt should have helped slowed down the rise in temp....

Just checked..no slime from any acros or coral bleaching......think it shouldnt be too bad..will probably know by tomorrow

bro scarab suggestion is good, & Bro Barracuda can help U on it.

mydog.gif

update: nothing lost......wphew! :whistle

My blue tenius was the only one that looked stressed....but everything seems fine. NOw I got to pester Bara about the setup...the lights off trigger is very important when temp reaches a certain level :lol:

• SRC Member

Yes! Unfortunately we are at the mercy of our equipment to protect the numerous lives in our care. But as with all mechanical components, they can and will fail one day when we are least prepared for it.

So what we can do is to prepare for such failures with backup systems or contingencies.

In my case, I installed a temperature controller (see pic) that will shut down my MH (the biggest heat source in my tank) in the event my tank's cooling system fails. Things that can fail includes: Chiller, Chiller pump, return pump, etc. I have also installed a 3inch DC fan that runs 24/7 to help chill the water although it is totally unnecessary. The additional side effects are higher evaporation but hey, I get to dose more kalk through my kalk reactor.

My backups has saved my tank three times already. Twice due to my chiller pump freezing up with calcium deposits and once because I forgot to on my chiller after maintenance. My tank's temp climbed to 28 degrees but no higher, thanks to the fan and the MH being off.

Hence the best thing to do is be prepared!

post-22-1092105393.jpg

Comments are welcome!

• SRC Member
In my case, I installed a temperature controller

My backups has saved my tank three times already.

Hence the best thing to do is be prepared!

how to install this "safeguard"..

can someone teach a newbie here....

due to the nature of my job, i can be away for more than 15hrs...so i think its essential to install a safeguard

I am just an average FR (fish reefing) writer. If you like my FRs, please upz my points.