Increasing Depth Of Existing Sandbed

My mainly-softies nanoreef has been established for close to 2 years now. Currently the sand bed consists of #1 with depth around 1.5inch. NO3 is a constant problem, so I thought I'll go DSB to try to reduce this problem. My questions:

1) Since #0 is now available, should I 'top-up' with #0? Or should I stick to #1?

2) How do I 'top-up'? Simply lay additional sand onto existing sandbed? I do have patches of dino on the existing sand bed.

Thanks

FF

• SRC Member

Diatom, not dionflagellate.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

Dinoflagellates possess a unique nuclear structure at some stage of their life cycle - a dinokaryotic nucleus (as opposed to eukaryotic or prokaryotic), in which the chromosomes are perminently condensed. The cell wall of many dinoflagellates is divided into plates of cellulose ("armor") within amphiesmal vesicles, known as a theca. These plates form a distinctive geometry/topology known as tabulation, which is the main means for classification.

Diatoms are unicellular algae generally placed in the family Bacillariophyceae. The cell walls of these organisms are made of silica, and the varied shapes and beautiful ornamentation of these walls made the study of the diatoms and related siliceous organisms a favored pursuit of the microscopical pioneers

hope that answers ur question :P :P :P:upsidedown:

as far as i am concerned both are essentially the same. both unicellular algae. how different can they be

• SRC Member
Dinoflagellates possess a unique nuclear structure at some stage of their life cycle - a dinokaryotic nucleus (as opposed to eukaryotic or prokaryotic), in which the chromosomes are perminently condensed. The cell wall of many dinoflagellates is divided into plates of cellulose ("armor") within amphiesmal vesicles, known as a theca. These plates form a distinctive geometry/topology known as tabulation, which is the main means for classification.

Diatoms are unicellular algae generally placed in the family Bacillariophyceae. The cell walls of these organisms are made of silica, and the varied shapes and beautiful ornamentation of these walls made the study of the diatoms and related siliceous organisms a favored pursuit of the microscopical pioneers

hope that answers ur question :P :P :P:upsidedown:

as far as i am concerned both are essentially the same. both unicellular algae. how different can they be

dats pretty cool...

where did u cut and paste from?

:lol:

• SRC Member

RoachUno,

Do you even understand half of what it says?

Bringing your assumptions to the end, you and a turkey are both multicellular and have a vertebrae, therefore, no difference.

Diatoms will utilise the silicates in the water to grow. It's usually blooms when a tank is first set up because it grows fast and the silicate level of the water may be high due to new sand.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

why turkey... why not.. turtle.

Bleh. I read your post as Dino.not diatoms. and was wondering how come dino growing on his sandbed.i thought u joking around so i joined in the fun :P . diatoms are the brown algae growing on your sandbed.