Chiller Problem

• SRC Member

Hi bros.. I have an issue with my Resun CL650 chiller.

Seems that it cuts in too often. Sometimes about every 10 mins and runs for 5 mins.

Details on the configuration:

1. Pump used is Atman 104, 2000L/H (recommended is btw 900L/h to 2400 L/H)

2. Temperature set at 27-29. Chiller will cut in when temp is 29.

Attached is the pics of the connection to my chiller. Basically it input from and output to my sump, just different compartment. Any advise ??

post-6-1093169599.jpg

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• SRC Member
Hi bros.. I have an issue with my Resun CL650 chiller.

Seems that it cuts in too often. Sometimes about every 10 mins and runs for 5 mins.

Details on the configuration:

1. Pump used is Atman 104, 2000L/H (recommended is btw 900L/h to 2400 L/H)

2. Temperature set at 27-29. Chiller will cut in when temp is 29.

Attached is the pics of the connection to my chiller. Basically it input from and output to my sump, just different compartment. Any advise ??

Whats your tank size? Lights?

I'm currently using CL650 as well for my 4x2x2... set up my chiller in the same configuration.. my chiller dun cut in very often.. even when lights are on... furthermore I set my chiller at 26...

It will be better if the output from chiller goes straight into the tank but I find it quite unsightly.. thats why set up the same configuration as yours.. no problem at all.. I'm using Sicce Extrema for the chiller pump..

• SRC Member

Whats your tank size? Lights?

I'm currently using CL650 as well for my 4x2x2... set up my chiller in the same configuration.. my chiller dun cut in very often.. even when lights are on... furthermore I set my chiller at 26...

It will be better if the output from chiller goes straight into the tank but I find it quite unsightly.. thats why set up the same configuration as yours.. no problem at all.. I'm using Sicce Extrema for the chiller pump..

hummm...what your lighting conf???? i'm thinking of getting the CL650 to save some $$$$, but worried that it can take about 1000w of lights...

wat is ur return p/p flow rate??

BTW, last time i had the same problem wif u. water fr sump 2 chiller n fr chiller back 3 sump, 2 diff comp. cut in n out very often.

try reduce the flow into ur chiller by using the valve tat comes wif the atman p/p. it worked 4 me. play ard n reduce the flowrate.

hope tat helps.

• SRC Member

I think Cedric was saying that I have a hose grip in the water. The stuff will rust if I don't take it out...

Tineng : The best thing is that I haven't even on my lights yet.. I'm still cycling. Of course I don't need to run the chiller now. But I wanted to test all my equipment prior to adding any LS. So the chiller cuts in often even w/o my MH lights on. But it goes off very quickly too. I'm going to have 2x250W MH, with fan to act as additional cooler.

Nemofish : I'm using a Ehiem 1262 as my return pump. I placed the return hose from the chiller just next to the pump so that the chilled water will be immediately fed back to the main tank I'll try reducing the flow rate. Maybe that will help. Thanks.

• SRC Member

I reckon it has to do with your atman pump used to cool the chiller.

I have the same problem like u when i used a cheapo china made pump rated 1400L/H. Inactual fact it may be giving less than 1000L/H. However, I changed the pump to Extrema and it works fine after that.

• SRC Member

hummm...what your lighting conf???? i'm thinking of getting the CL650 to save some $$$$, but worried that it can take about 1000w of lights...

I'm currently using combinations of 30W FL and 220W PL.... 1000W might be a bit stressful on the chiller.... yr tank size? 4x2x2?

• SRC Member
I reckon it has to do with your atman pump used to cool the chiller.

I have the same problem like u when i used a cheapo china made pump rated 1400L/H. Inactual fact it may be giving less than 1000L/H. However, I changed the pump to Extrema and it works fine after that.

I'm using extrema for my return too... what setting do u use for the pump? Full flowrate?

• SRC Member

I'm currently using combinations of 30W FL and 220W PL.... 1000W might be a bit stressful on the chiller.... yr tank size? 4x2x2?

my tank size is about the same as yours....4.5x2x1.5....guess i have consider to get the more higher end chiller.... :P

• SRC Member

hey

my cl650 also has the same problem

ons and cuts very frequently

but i reckon its my flow rate that is the problem because the instructions says best to use a flowrate of 900-2400L/hr.

i pump the water using my eheim canister filter rated at 950L/hour but with algal growth in the tubes and substrate in the filter...i think the flowrate is real low and i think that's y the chiller acts that way.

• SRC Member

Dunno leh...but it think i'll play around with the flow rate first.

Maybe try around 1500-1800L/H (based on Nemofish advise).

Will let you guys know how it goes...

Any other advice? Extrema quite expensive so currently still dun want to consider changing the pump.

Dunno leh...but it think i'll play around with the flow rate first.

Maybe try around 1500-1800L/H (based on Nemofish advise).

Will let you guys know how it goes...

Any other advice? Extrema quite expensive so currently still dun want to consider changing the pump.

hi, i too used a 2000l/h pump initially n faced the same problem like wat u described. i made use of the atman kits(valve) 2 reduce the flowrate by at least half.

IMO, no harm trying as there is no cost involved. moreover it oni takes abt 30 mins 2 tell if it works.

anyway, i hav already sold my 650 n replace wif PC. the 650 was making me worried everyday. eversince i damn it aside n switch 2 PC, i hav 1 trouble freed. :D

• SRC Member

The reading on my Fox Temperature Controller is 26.9 degrees (probe in main tank). The chiller is set to chill to 27 degree, but usually shows 28 on the display.

I guess the difference may be due to the equipment in the sump.

I've reduce the flow rate. Seems better. Will carry on to monitor.

No cost involve so no harm trying :D . Hope to switch to a better chiller in the future but budget constraint plus 'CEO' approval not easy to get nowadays... :lol: