Any tips to collect Acropora from the wild ?

• SRC Member
I want to collect acropora my self from the wild. Any tips for me ?

from the cutting,packing in the plastic bag and transporting ?

Chefri, I don't think you'll get any support from reefers here at SRC (or anywhere in the world for that matter) for your proposed actions.

Even the corals that are shipped here with CITIES permits, increasingly we're seeing more aquacultured ones.

• SRC Member
danano Posted on Sep 14 2004, 10:06 AM

QUOTE (Chefri @ Sep 14 2004, 09:20 AM)

I want to collect acropora my self from the wild. Any tips for me ?

from the cutting,packing in the plastic bag and transporting ?

Chefri, I don't think you'll get any support from reefers here at SRC (or anywhere in the world for that matter) for your proposed actions.

Even the corals that are shipped here with CITIES permits, increasingly we're seeing more aquacultured ones. 

ditto,

my tip is 'Please Don't"

• SRC Member

technically, its illegal for anyone without a collectors permit/license

to 'harvest' any type of coral from the sea,

which includes rocks and sand.

i know a lot of people do it, especially in the Southern waters. <_<

but it's easy to take, and it's difficult to replace.

why not just ask for frags?

also, the aquacultured ones on sale these days are

MUCH MUCH nicer., and ptices are reasonable

compared to a few years back ;)

i guess it jus boils down to you to do the right thing

• SRC Member
I don't ship it.

That is besides the point. It all boils down to conservation.

Anyway, suggest you don't do it as you could be slap with a really heavy fine and/or go to jail.

Not worth it. Think abt what the other reefers have suggested. They all sound good.

• SRC Member

Haha.. those coral seller' who take coral from the sea and sell it. Also will do damage to the reef system. If you all really support natural reef system, then should not keep this hobby. without reefer support>> less people will remove animals from the sea. . . haha. :huh:

In my own opinion>> even those licenced seller >> will still do damage by removing the animals from the reef system and sell it. So all reefer will bear such sin.... <_<

Yeah... thats true... in order to satisfy the demands of exporters like the USA, legal or illegal harvesters from indon go out to the sea daily to remove corals from the indo pacific waters. whether we like it or not, we are part of this anyway, and i don't believe there is alot of aquacultured stuffs right, indonesia simply does'nt have the capacity to do it large scale, perhaps small scale.

"Less technology, more biology" --- John Tullock

Indonesia is the world's largest coral exporters.

But it's all done legally (or should) , with a Cites permits.

All the exporters there have a quota , which is going down every year.

On the other hand there are also exporters that are smuggling stuff out without Cites, so the corals and qtty is not recorded anywhere.

There is alot of Aquacultured stuff coming from Bali and from Fiji as well as Marshall islands and other places, but the market is growing faster and the demand is bigger than what the aquaculture industry is even close to produce.

As you said we are part of it and we can help.

We should get good equipment, good tank, good knowledge,like this we will kill less corals.

We should also should exchange frags, if your tank is good a frag will grow to a colony, in many of the SPS species, in one year.

• SRC Member

Legally you shouldn't do it but on the other hand the reef is dying whether you do it or not.

95% of the coral in the Great Barrier Reef is disappearing by 2050 and that is very near - many will live to see that day. <_<

Global warming will contribute one degree + to the water every century. Not to mention the water temp around Singappore - it will be worse.

http://eces.org/articles/000788.php

If 50% is dying before transporting to exporters they are careless unproffessional divers/collectors and should go and look for another job or just sit at home and watch the news.

---------------

Edited by DeepBlue

Stairway to Heaven

The thread title is about tips to collect Acropora from the wild... ...

which most reefers here do not encourage it anyway...

kindly refrain from trying to provoke other reefers with your remarks... keep to the thread topic...no need to get personal.