Activated Carbon

iewnehz

I do not think that carbon release phosphate

Might wanna check on that

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

From what i hv read, more than half of the GAC for aquarium use in the market either contain phospate or will leech phosphate. That's why it is always recommended to rinse the GAC in freshwater or RO/DI water b4 use. ;)

webbies to stake my claim.

An Overview of Activated Carbon in the Marine Tank By James R. Layton

unedited article in Aquarium USA 1994

Abstract from Seachem MatrixCarbon:

A truly unique activated carbon, bead shaped for optimal hydrodynamics. This provides maximum water flow and contact with a high density of adsorptive sites without the compacting common to granular activated carbon. MatrixCarbon has a very low ash content as indicated by its minimal impact on pH. Even when added to distilled water, it does not raise pH above 7.0. While all carbons contain phosphate, regardless of false claims to the contrary, MatrixCarbon has the lowest leachable phosphate content of all major carbon brands tested. It out-performs other best grade carbons by at least two-fold when compared for total capacity to remove aquarium organic matter, rate of adsorbtion, and duration of use. 250 mL will easily treat 100 gallons for several months. It is very clean and nearly dust free. The 100 mL bag size will fit any filter on the market and treats over 40 gallons. Marine or freshwater use.

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png

• SRC Member

hi Ekia..

how's aquaz doing in your tank?

from what i know, aquaz is not air tight sealed..which means the carbon is already started to remove the toxic in the air?

that means it will start to leech in a earlier time?

am i right?

have been using for 3 months.. tank doing well... using 24/7 with no problems...

• SRC Member
from what i know, aquaz is not air tight sealed..which means the carbon is already started to remove the toxic in the air?

that means it will start to leech in a earlier time?

There is activated carbon for air molecules & there is activated carbon for water molecules.

They have different pore sizes. Also the inner rubber seal cap in the aquaz tub is more or less airtight,Means it has 2 barriers.

Carbon's lifespan in general should be used for 7-10 days. after that all carbon will start to leech back and turn into bio-media for bacteria.

Use it to polish the water(removing the yellowish tint in water), to remove medication and organics.

The leechable phosphate should be printed on the better brands of carbon. If it isn't...or just says low, then you will be in for a shock.

using 1gram per gallon of water is good enough.

• SRC Member

dude, i go by impurities & price, not brand. Same as additives.

very few are willing to provide u with the information as they use lower grade materials.

So i stick with those who do reveal ingredients.

i keep 4ltrs of carbon by aquaz on standby. u never know when u need it.

Learnt it when they fumigated my area while i was culturing peppermint shrimps. :pinch: Went thru almost 3 ltrs of carbon. (changing carbon every 48hrs on every tank, including reef)

• 2 weeks later...
There also lab grade GAC avail. Cheaper. I dun think its worse than those commercial kind.

Seachem Matrix suppose to be better among the commercial brands

any concrete proof to back this claim?

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png

• SRC Member

Oh.. no concrete proof now. But i think i read it here sometime before. A lot of reefers uses Seachem Matrix. NOT SO SURE but i think AT uses them before.

Will do a search and hopefully come back with the link!