Roidan's Quattro Skimmer

roidan

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

after the main skimmer is done,

will be embarking on mini-projects on this skimmer's maintenance as to maintain a tall skimmer is no joke....

a skimmer's efficiency will decrease when the foam chamber or inner neck of the collection cup is covered with dirt and scum.

The objective is to prevent the build-up of these dirt and scum and thus delaying the need for frequent removal and cleaning of the skimmer collection cup.

examples of commercially available units are like the Deltec Self-cleaning head for their large multi-needlewheel skimmers :)

With the collection cup your size i think 3 months clean one time also not a problem

there is a drain as with all skimmer cups nowadays...so accumulation of the skimmate into the cup is usually not the problem nowadays...can just put the end of the drain hose into the biggest toyogo tub if go for holiday...hehe

next time do a new tank, really have to see the *fengshui* before deciding where to locate the tank....a backroom to hide all the equipment like AT does, also possibly near the toilet so that can drill a hole for the skimmate to dump straight to the toilet, somewhere so that i can plumb the cooling loop while keeping the chiller compressor out of the house using those commercial artica-type of compressors....

the *fengshui* of reefing :lol:

Yup i agree with you that having a fish room conceal behind the tank is wonderful. Saw many of the huge tank from R.C doing that, Sump & Refugium water volume are often larger than the main display due to the huge amount of space available. Unfortunately even with the $$$ most of us singaporeans do not have the luxury of having those kind of setup unless staying at landed property.

haha...yeah lor...

that's why now i slow down alot on feeding...

the fishes keep growing but the tank never grow :lol:

must sign them up for marie france bodyline...maybe myself too <_<:lol:

with autocleaning devices that work from within the skimmer chamber itself....can say goodbye to cleaning skimmers from the inside liao :)

• SRC Member
haha...yeah lor...

that's why now i slow down alot on feeding...

the fishes keep growing but the tank never grow  :lol: 

must sign them up for marie france bodyline...maybe myself too  <_<  :lol:

with autocleaning devices that work from within the skimmer chamber itself....can say goodbye to cleaning skimmers from the inside liao  :)

marine france latteral line u mean??

• SRC Member
i just heard someone building a

3m by 1.4m by 0.6m tank with 50mm thick acrylic.....

full aquamedic setup....

agar $40K....

these are the real dragons and tigers. Most of us here are

small timers, small small timers :lol:

fwah...$40k??

but 50mm acrylic is super thick, hope he dun see stars after viewing his tank...i hate to go underwater world, the thick glass makes me wanna puke...

3m?? that's very very BIG!!! :ooh: bet it must be landed property...might as well build a swimming pool...

it is to partition between the swimming pool and the billiard room.... :lol:

so the tank is in a way, below ground level, more or less like a basement tank between the basement billiard room and the swimming pool....

play billiard/pool, can see tank and swimming pool beyond it.....

swim swim, can see tank and billiard room behind it :lol:

really enjoy life sia :bow:

• SRC Member
it is to partition between the swimming pool and the billiard room.... :lol:

so the tank is in a way, below ground level, more or less like a basement tank between the basement billiard room and the swimming pool....

play pool, can see tank and swimming pool beyond it.....

swim swim, can see tank and billiard room behind it  :lol:

really enjoy life sia  :bow:

OH MY GOD....

if its me, i will certainly have a pool side party every week...can play pocket-billard in pool room...HAHAHHAHA!!!!

getting off topic again.. :off:

waiting eagerly for sunday's 2nd take-off...

Bro, have read about skimmate on the riser of the colection cup affecting the performance of the skimmer.... Any actual reliable study on this? I cant understand how it would affect the performance... care to enlighten??

Vincent Ho :thanks:

People do not plan to fail; Often they just fail to plan...

Wat I do to prevent myself from tearing my hair out... My stress remedy...

post-34-1105890976.jpg

actually why you want to keep the inner walls clean is because you want the nutrient laden bubbles/foam to bring organics up and pour over into the collection cup..

if the inner walls start to accumulate dirt and scum, it acts as a physical barrier for the smooth migration of the nutrient laden bubbles/foam upwards to be collected...

the bubbles will burst prematurely upon hitting the dirt and scum inside the chamber instead of rising all the way to the top to be spilling over into the collection cup.

This in itself is a form of bottleneck effect also :)

actually why you want to keep the inner walls clean is because you want the nutrient laden bubbles/foam to bring organics up and pour over into the collection cup..

if the inner walls start to accumulate dirt and scum, it acts as a physical barrier for the smooth migration of the nutrient laden bubbles/foam upwards to be collected...

the bubbles will burst prematurely upon hitting the dirt and scum inside the chamber instead of rising all the way to the top to be spilling over into the collection cup.

This in itself is a form of bottleneck effect also :)

okie... make sense... seems like I gotta clean it more often... :(

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• SRC Member

I believe the norm for cleaning a beckett colection cup is about once a week or once every 2 weeks? :) At least, dats what i do...

IF we lined the neck with teflon or sumthing like teflon which is super slippery, do you think the scum will still stick the the walls? Just curious.....

I believe the norm for cleaning a beckett colection cup is about once a week or once every 2 weeks? :) At least, dats what i do...

IF we lined the neck with teflon or sumthing like teflon which is super slippery, do you think the scum will still stick the the walls? Just curious.....

Too slippery, wait it doesn't foam!?! :ph34r:

BTW, is this :off:

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• SRC Member

skim too fast that the DOC vapourised !

My Beautiful ANGEL - Matsushima Nanako

Equipment List for 4x2x2 Tank & 3x1.5x1.5 Sump

Hagen 802 x 2, Tunze 6060, Arcadia T5 (54W x 8), Eheim 1260 (return) Eheim 1250 (Chiller), Aquabee 300 x 2 (Feed)

H&S 150-F2001 (850l Skimmer), H&S A110-F2000 (400l Skimmer), H&S 110-F1000 (1000l Sulphur/Nitrate Filter), H&S 150-F2000IA (800l Calcium Reactor)

Coralife 3X (UV Steriliser), I-Aquatic IF 312 (Fluidised Reactor), Kent Kalk Delivery, Resun CL650, Pinpoint ORP & PH Meters & Wireless Thermometer

4x2x2 Tank Thread