HELP: Brain melting away

dandelion76

• SRC Member

Sorry moderator, I am not sure if this is the right forum to post but it seems to be more active than the "Disease treatment/parasite control"

Help needed...

One of my brain is melting away after I got back from work today. Moved it last night during rescaping, touched some of it's flesh (did I injured it?). Also it's placed about 14" below my 150W MH (it used to be in a more shaded area).

Now there seems to be some slime covering its lower right rim. Can already see the skeleton. Some of its tantacles looks transparent ... :cry:

I had "brown jelly" infection on one of my hammer (dipped in FW yesterday, not sure if it can pull it through, put in the refugium already). Did I injured the brain when touching it last night and the bacteria had found its way into the brain?

What should I do? Can fresh water dip kill the protozoa (did I spell it correctly?)? I have no lugos... only have Kent Marine Iodine, would this perform similar function as Lugos? If so is Lugos dip better than Fresh Water dip? What is the iodine concentratoin should i go about it?

Attached image here... Now thinking of FW dip for 1 min then put it into fug. with moderate flow... pleasssss help..... :cry:

p/s: the other brain is doing fine.

post-7-1098713330.jpg

• SRC Member

Another picture. Will stand by here to seek advise before I do anything silly.. newbie who is almost losing his very first hammer, now brain :cry:

All other invert (branching hammer, bubble, large brain, zoo, yuma) and fishes are fine... so ammonia spike should not be the culprit...

post-7-1098713572.jpg

You mean you have an ammonia spike?

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

• SRC Member

probably not.. as all other LS are doing fine...

More info.. the tank has been set up for 2 months plus.. 100 litres with sump. Gone through proper cycling... never have any ammonia problem ever since I started stocking up the LS... only had problem few days back when the hammer was infected with brown jelly...

• SRC Member

Do you have Kent Marine Tech-D Bacterial Dip or similar?

I encountered this problem once and if it's really bacterial or protozoan infection, this really helped then.

Do you have any tank inhabitants that are 'harrassing' it? If yes, then move it away from them. maybe 'cage' it within the tank itself.

Is it too near to certain corals that may be attacking it while you are not aware? I was recently surprised to see my red lobo attacking my green lobo when they have been alright even though placed together for quite some time... :(

It caused some melting and bleaching in the green lobo but recovered quite steadily. Thank God. :angel:

• SRC Member

thanks sis.. unfortunately i don't have any coral medication with me.. so what's the best possible solution for me now?

I have 4 ###### shrimps, 1 firegoby, 1 scooter blenny..

Oops.. wait..... looks like the orange yuma (located on its lower right) is the probable culprit... i think it can reach it when fully expanded :cry:

How should i help this poor fellow who is badly stunk by the yuma...?

• SRC Member

yup...think the yuma is the culprit. <_<

can be helped if there's no medications at the moment but it would be good to separate it from the yuma. Put it in a low flow and moderate to slightly strong light area and feed it. Take some time to recover. And the damage doesn't look that bad. :)

All the best... :)

• SRC Member

the damage doesn't look that bad for the time being... :)

Unless it deteriorate then you should dip it... B)

That conditioner doesn't come in cheap though... :(

Just make sure your refugium has sifficient lights for it.and algae doesn't 'terrorise' it. :)

• SRC Member

Thanks sis flubberina. Will monitor the situation and take neccessary action. Thank god that there's just a little macro algae in my fug at moment (still new). So should be okay. Will turn on the FL 24 hours a day, think the light is sufficient if kept like that.

• SRC Member

I have also witnessed my yuma stinging the brain, you will be surprised to see the extra long tentacles of the yuma, it is very toxic as far as the brain released the whitish substance and is damaged badly in a very short time. In my case I immediately removed the brain and place it elsewhere and it recovered. I was lucky as I happened to witness the yuma stinging process, all happens in a few minutes.

• SRC Member
I have also witnessed my yuma stinging the brain, you will be surprised to see the extra long tentacles of the yuma, it is very toxic as far as the brain released the whitish substance and is damaged badly in a very short time. In my case I immediately removed the brain and place it elsewhere and it recovered. I was lucky as I happened to witness the yuma stinging process, all happens in a few minutes.

Yes I agree with u. Look at the way the wound left on the brain it's 99% sure that the yuma at the lower right corner did it... I am not as lucky as you coz I was at work when the whole incident took place.. guess the yuma stung it for hours :(

Now the brain is left in the fug with moderate flow over it. This morning before going out for work I observed the brain and it's not recovering yet.. still got some white slime covering its wound and the skeleton is now visible... well at least it looks better than yesterday.

Just hope that it will recover :angel: and else I will have my 2nd casualties (just lost my hammer yesterday, the FW dip can't save it from the brown jelly infection :cry2:, should have frag the infected part before the FW dip)

• SRC Member

Some update on the injured brain. No more slime on its wound already. I think it's getting better today, at least much better than the day earlier.

Fed it with mysis shrimp yesterday. About 4-5 shirmps.. this guy really has big stomach (and big mouth) !! Some feeding photos..

post-7-1098841213.jpg

• SRC Member

i dunno if its something wrong with your brain or just that its got a big mouth... :lol:

my brains dun do that even when i feed them...usually they will close up and swallow the food discreetly...

any experts can verify this??

it look like your brain is still stressed up...

the pic quite gross.. :sick:

PS:your camera very good leh..nice macro shot!!

• SRC Member

yes it looks still quite stressed... but better than the day before when it was still in the main tank. This fellow probably have a big mouth IMO, coz when i brought it home last week, its mouth also open big big till i thought there's something wrong with it.. just hope it's normal

:off: I am using Canon G3, but frankly it's not the camera but the one behind it that matter.... else those pro are jobless liao lor... LOL

The 2nd picture is not a macro shot though... just crop it from the first one.. anyway ichy hand now, gonna try out my macro lense someday...

:off: U r bro-in-law of reeflobang huh? I know him... he gave me many advises when I first started.. :)

i also have a brain same as yours but mine in yellow and green colour. i put it at the top of the tank ..overnite it drop down to the sand almost 2 ft ..

later it change to the pic that u know above and it actually died after that. i ask the store fellar he said it dead couse by shock .. may be u can take out and smell on it.. i have tried mine, it really bad.

good luck to u. :bow:

• SRC Member
yes it looks still quite stressed... but better than the day before when it was still in the main tank. This fellow probably have a big mouth IMO, coz when i brought it home last week, its mouth also open big big till i thought there's something wrong with it.. just hope it's normal

:off: I am using Canon G3, but frankly it's not the camera but the one behind it that matter.... else those pro are jobless liao lor... LOL

The 2nd picture is not a macro shot though... just crop it from the first one.. anyway ichy hand now, gonna try out my macro lense someday...

:off: U r bro-in-law of reeflobang huh? I know him... he gave me many advises when I first started.. :)

yah loh...reeflobang is the one who brought me into this MISERY!!!