Conditions For Hard Corals

veliferium

first of all, i wld advise u to get ur lights changed to one of higher intensity be it T5s or MH. as FLs can barely sustain the good being LPS. since u r not running a chiller, u might wanna consider T5s with the addition of some cooling fans to aid in lowering the heat load. take a step at a time, maybe u wld like to provide us wif more info on ur tank parameters, equipment, etc....... as lights and temp r not the only impt parameters to note for a successful reef.

LFS info can be found here. no use recommending LFS, as stock for corals varies btw LFS all the time. u will hv to take ur chance to go take a look physically. ;)

happy reefing. ;)

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png

• SRC Member

Recommended is T5s, some sort of cooling (Fans does the job well but take not of the high evaporation rate) and a sump or DSB.

According to some people i know, they said a skimmer is not needed if yur juz keeping LPS. (Anyone has anything to say?) :erm:

But juz get one to ensure water quality la. ;)

My Tank

Save A Horse, Ride A Cowboy

is Dymax T5 ok. Trying very hard to save for a 3 feet one.BTW, i now using overhead filtration with 3 layers.

Dymax T5s r not HO T5s. u can try asking one of the DIYers here to teach u how to make a HO T5 set or buy a set off them. but i dunno how much it is gonna cost. try browsing thru the DIY forum for more info.

Overhead filtration........ :erm: i wun suggest that. best if u hv a sump, else a cannister will do, but some work needed to maintain it.

more specs and details pls. :peace:

Austin's Birthday

.png

KH 6.

How to increase.

NO2 0.2mg/l

Maybe because of high stocking.

NO3 50mg/l

Can keep elegance?

kH too low, add buffer to increase. 8 to 12 dkH is the general guideline.

NO2 should be zero.

NO3 is on the moderate high side. do a partial water change and see how things go.

read abt elegance coral here.

u can use the dymax T5s to DIY, but u will need to change the light tubes and ballasts.

Austin's Birthday

.png

is it cheaper to DIY a t5 set for LPS or rather buy a set of T5 for LPS.

dun realli get u but partially.....If you buy a new T5 set.,Make sure it is something that is H-O like ATI ,DEltec etc....But if you compare between the Prices, er, i dun think both will be much difference but mostly a DIY T5 will come in more expensive by a hip. *But of cous, u can choose wad u wan to use in your T5* :peace:

• SRC Member

I suggest u try looking ard to see the price available on the market. ;) Recce the price first then decide. But it will be money well spent.

And why not go str8 for a 4 ft tank in the future? My intention as well... Or else later 3ft... then 4ft... waste money la. :P

Elegance is a good choice i believe. Have one in my tank, doing very well with weekly feeding.

Moderate lighting and water movement also means that it is among some of the most accomodating species of LPS along with hammers and octos. :lol:

Juz remember that they are more happy on the sandbed. ;)

My Tank

Save A Horse, Ride A Cowboy

• SRC Member
Dear fellow reefers, what are the conditions necessary for keeping hard corals, namely LPS, and are there any good recommendations and LFS.I am currently running a 2.5 feet tank with FLs and no chiller. :thanks:

Sorry to sound offensive but please stop asking the same thing. You can't have LPS with just normal FL and no matter how many times you ask, the answer is the same. This is the thread u started not long ago..... http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?...0&hl=veliferium

The answers are there already....

• SRC Member

for T5 DIY, since you have a 2.5' tank but there is no 2.5' T5, so maybe you can use 2' tube for 4xT5. Parts estimated market prices: T5 ard $20, eballast ard $40-50 each. No. of eballest needed depends on the on/off combination you want. T5 spider reflector ard $15 (per tube). If you use acrylic to construct a simple hood ard $20.

to save cost further you can use the Elbiru eballast (no pre-heat) at half the price.

pls do the maths B)

have fun

• SRC Member
Sorry,bro Ekia, i jus trying to fing out whether can or not, cause LPS damn expensive.Trying to save a lot. one piece above $10. BTW, wat are the more hardy type of Lps and the cheapest.

veli,

you really should just pop down to a LFS when there is less crowd and talk to the owner. no point trying to learn all the types of LPS from the internet, there are too many varieties and the price is different at different shops, especially depending on the size and colour of the piece. even if you set your heart on getting a particular one doesn't mean you can find it at the first LFS you go to, or get it at the price you are prepared to pay.

so best is, go to LFS, talk to owner, point point point at the corals and ASK. ask how much and which is hardier etc. they will be more than willing to advise you provided you don't go when there are a lot of other customers around. places like aquamarin, bioOcean, e-aquarist, jireh etc all full of helpful shop owners.

Be teachable always, nobody has a monopoly on wisdom. But learn to distinguish "fact" from "opinion".

• SRC Member

if u think spending above $10 for corals is expensive...i suppose its wiser to keep fishes only..

and maybe some soft corals like zoos and the normal mushrooms..

in this case..u dun need T5 Ho...FL will do....