Dealing With Aiptasia

If you have aiptasia anemones in your tank, there are several ways to deal with them.

Under water

1. Administer kalk paste via a syringe straight into their mouths. Within a minute they are shrunken and dead. Use a syringe to suck out the kalk paste/aiptasia remains. (my fav method)

Note: switch off all water circulation. Practice depressing the syringe... you only want to deposit a tiny blob, not the entire content. And you want to push kalk paste straight into the aiptasia's mouth... not air bubbles!!! If they close up, putting kalk over their body won't be as effective as the aiptasia ingesting kalk as it retracts into the rock.

2. Use a syringe with needle, jab their bodies and inject boiling water (not practical).

3. Use epoxy to trap them inside their nooks and crannies in the LR.

Above water

1. Take out the rock if possible and dry them in the sun. (Morgan's fav method)

2. Take the rock out and use a mini blow torch to burn them. (my alternative method).

kalk paste is just some kalkwasser powder and a bit of water, enough to form a thick paste.

Warning: harmful caustic properties so avoid skin contact.

• SRC Member

Yummm.... :P

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

Yes! Kill them all!

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

my god.. why wasnt i informed of this extremely fun method of removing mushrooms!! i have had to use my fingernails to dig them off the rock and leave half the mushroom on the rock which will stink water majorly in the next 2 hours. now i just live with the damn mushrooms

• SRC Member

the power of my mind is only unleashed under intense intoxication. It is a built in safety measure when the unholy one created me . to prevent the power of my mind from wreaking havoc on this virgin earth.. that has not known the likes of me.

• SRC Member
Believe me, I have seen your dark powers unleashed that night, and it wasn't a pretty sight! :P

it wasnt?? awww... the waitress did look like sammi cheng !! . i need to go back there and stay sober this time. i totally cant remember a thing

• SRC Member

Hi,

I think I saw an aiptasia clingling to the wall of my tank about 5mm big. It look like a starfish and move pretty fast and within half an hour, it crawl into on of the LR. After reading this thread, I think I ID it wrong.

How do we spot aiptasia again and lure them out ?

• SRC Member
Hi,

I think I saw an aiptasia clingling to the wall of my tank about 5mm big. It look like a starfish and move pretty fast and within half an hour, it crawl into on of the LR. After reading this thread, I think I ID it wrong.

How do we spot aiptasia again and lure them out ?

That should be a britttle star that you are talking about... aiptasia doesnt move~! Brittle stars are actually good for your tank. :D

got picture of aiptasia? hm.... ah...hm.... wats the kalk u r talking about?

Eh go to t9* or re** wor** or any farms which uses plastic tub to place their coral for sale...... And look at the very top corner or each tub near the surface or the water and you will find jelly like thingy which is transparent and has long tentacle and that is aiptasia