Additives

• SRC Member

hey hi guys, i'm very curious to know what additive do you add to your tank? and how often?

i have been reading about additive to tanks and there are so many types, calcium, magnesium, iodide, buffer, etc.

should we add all or which are the ones we must add?

what brand do you use?

we got reef tank, fish tank, shrimps tank, can tell us what kind of tank you have and what you add?

right now i only add calcium to my tank although i have a fish and shrimps only tank. it's more for my shrimps and crabs.

right now i'm thinking of adding marine buffer.

• SRC Member

Only add what you can test!

I use Kalkwasser, Reef buffer and Reef builder.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

Hi all,

I'm using products from WH. I'm adding (weekly or fortnightly) for Bio, Strontium, Mira (trace element) and Iodine. Dont know if these really enhances the aquarium but anyway my livestocks look happy.

Got a little doubt over my tank's calcium level. Every test I made showed the optimum level of about 450ppm. So, I've yet to add Calcium supplement.

Limpc.

Seems like the dosing of additives is something that's under a lot of research right now as the cause of toxic heavy metal buildup in reef tanks.

Liverocks and sandbeds are 'sponges' that absorb these to high levels... and even Ron Shimek, the DSB 'expert' has suggested changing out your LR and DSB every 7 years... but again... its based on the evidence of his own tank crashing.... not generally.

Don't need to panic... its just hearsay. Not scientifically proven beyond a doubt.

• SRC Member

Tanzy, question for you. By adding Kalkwasser, I thought it will increase the alkalinity, so is there a need to add Reef builder which does the same thing? Correct me if I am wrong

Reef buffer - maintain the PH at 8.3

Reef builder - increase the alkalinity at the same time buffer the PH

Kalkwasser - Increase Calcium and increase alkalinity

are the above true?

• SRC Member

would like to know too tanzy,

a little weary that kwalk would lower PH.

i got half a tub of Kalkwasser still yet to use cause finishing my liquid calcium first- phew..still got a bottle to go.

i dun really touch buffer cause its constantly stable(maybe due to regular water changes)

i also dose- strontium,trace element,iodine(just a touch of them)cause i can't watch these levels.

yet to use magnesium (also half a bottle in storage).

i also read the same as AT of the build up of metals & mine reaching almost 6yrs- jeez the crap that must be in there!.already starting to experience troubles with water.

i also read that some additives that is in seawater are not really needed & are toxic to the animals in high quantities. still being studied though.

not to mention the liquid supplements i use(ana food,invertebrate gourmet,invertebrate calcium)soo many bottles i also lost track.

Bawater...

Kalkwasser doesn't reduce PH... it increases it!!!!!

A newly mixed slurry of Kalkwasser has a PH of around 12 to 13!!!!!!!

That is why it is recommended to dose kalk at night when the PH naturally drops!

• SRC Member
Tanzy, question for you. By adding Kalkwasser, I thought it will increase the alkalinity, so is there a need to add Reef builder which does the same thing? Correct me if I am wrong

are the above true?

Can anyone please explain the above mentioned???

I'm using reef builder and Kent Calcium....

Do I still require the Kalkwasser????

• SRC Member

are the above true?

Yes, if Kalkwasser is used correctly, the hydroxy group will react with carbion dioxide to give you carbonates and bicarbonates, thereby increasing the alkalinity. All the rest of the assertions you made are also true.

I use Reef Buffer once a month to maintain my borate concentration in the tank and to give it a stable pH. Carbonates is depleted by corals, especially during the day. Carbon dioxide is produced by all living organisms, especially more at night. If your pH is dependant totally on your carbonate concentration or carbonate alkalinity, your pH in the tank may vary according the amount of carbonates and bicarbonates you have in the water. Borate is different. It is not depleted by any organism to a large extent and it is a good buffer at pH 8.3, so if the borate concentration is good, the tank pH will be less likely to swing. I test both for total alkalinity and borate alkalinity.

Why reef builder? I don't use it a lot. It's mainly bicarbonates of sodium, potassium and magnesium. I use it when I test that alk is low.

Kalkwasser is used regularly for both calcium and alkalinity as top up water. I also run a calcium reactor to maintain their levels because I don't have enough evaporation.

Bawater,

Kalkwasser can reduce pH if used inappropriately. If kalkwasser was dumped into the tank, the high pH will cause calcium carbonate to precipitate out of the water, hence removing carbonate from the water. The pH is dependant on the buffering capacity of the water; the buffering capacity of the water is dependant on carbonate concentration; so when it falls, pH will fluctuate.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member
wah it's getting confusing.

a lot of mention of Kalkwasser, what brand is it? JBL?

so one question, if there is only one thing you will add to the tank to buffer and stable the water, what will it be?

Nearly missed your post. If you were to start your own thread next time, I'm sure you will get a lot more replies.

Kalkwasser is a German word for chalk-water. Chalk as you know from primary and secondary school days is calcium carbonate, but Kalkwasser used in marine aquariums is actually calcium hydroxide. Powdered calcium hydroxide is sold by many manufacturers as Kalkwasser. When the calcium hydroxide is dissolved in water, you get a calcium hydroxide solution that you can add to the tank. Kalkwasser when used properly, will increase calcium and alkalinity in the ratio nof 1:1. So, if the carbonate level is high, pH will also be well buffered.

To buffer the water, Reef Buffer is easier to use and larger amounts can be added. Kalkwasser is more of a maintenance thing to replenish what the calcifying corals have used up.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• SRC Member

Sounds like good flow, if you intend to do the pour in method then make sure you start with a small amount first. Always test the water to see if the pH is fluctuating. The hydroxide ion need to react with carbon dioxide in the water to form carbonates or bicarbonates that remain in solution.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• SRC Member

Talk about OVERKILL!

:lol:

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• SRC Member

Sure it's good. More the merrier!

I'm absolutely sure the drop of kalk will be lost in the multitude of eddies and turbulence.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• SRC Member

Can anyone please explain the above mentioned???

I'm using reef builder and Kent Calcium....

Do I still require the Kalkwasser????

Hi, Now for some attention.... er hm.......

If Kalkwasser is too increase both alkalinity and Calcium in a 1:1 ratio...

and reef builder to increase Alkalinity, would it mean that I can opt out the usage of Kalk since I'm using Reef Builder to maintain my alkalinity and a calcium additive????

Currently putting in Reef Builder followed By Calcium Additive.....

• SRC Member

Nearly missed your post. If you were to start your own thread next time, I'm sure you will get a lot more replies.

Kalkwasser is a German word for chalk-water. Chalk as you know from primary and secondary school days is calcium carbonate, but Kalkwasser used in marine aquariums is actually calcium hydroxide. Powdered calcium hydroxide is sold by many manufacturers as Kalkwasser. When the calcium hydroxide is dissolved in water, you get a calcium hydroxide solution that you can add to the tank. Kalkwasser when used properly, will increase calcium and alkalinity in the ratio nof 1:1. So, if the carbonate level is high, pH will also be well buffered.

To buffer the water, Reef Buffer is easier to use and larger amounts can be added. Kalkwasser is more of a maintenance thing to replenish what the calcifying corals have used up.

hey thanks thanks for the reply! hehehe..

i notice there are powder form and liquid form for those buffers. i don't really know about the prices, can i assume liquid form is more expensive and easier to use? but is it more effective?

you guys usually use powder form right?

• SRC Member

Reef Buffer is a powder. I believe dry buffers are cheaper cause you don't pay for the transportation of water that only serves to dilute your product. I've never use liquid buffers and the only liquid buffer I've seen are phosphate buffers for freshwater tanks.

Kalk is not compulsory! There are more than one way to add alk and calcium. 2 part solutions are good too! Calcium additives are mostly calcium chloride and Reef builder is mostly sodium and potassium bicarbonate, use on the long run, they might cause ionic imbalance in a system by increasing the sodium,potassium and chloride level. Kalk does not affect the ionic imbalance because all you add, is what you need.

post-36-1093875548.jpg