How to fix Rics to LR ?

pisces

bro...needle will rust by then and infect the rics :erm:

cut a small pvc pipe (1 to 2 inches) or plastic cup with holes..place rocks in the cup and let the ric attach to the rock naturally.

Some people use nettings....not sure the success rate though

LS..maybe I dislike injuring the ric further thought they are extremely hardy.

If you have to pierce the fellow...think add a little lugols will help in the speedy recovery <_<

LS..maybe I dislike injuring the ric further thought they are extremely hardy.

If you have to pierce the fellow...think add a little lugols will help in the speedy recovery <_<

Hi DB, no worries at all. the method i hv mentioned, is improvised and copied over from what i hv read in CORALS Magazine, Vol. 2. no problem wif rusting if the material used to pin the frags down r high grade stainless steel. :)

pinning a frag down with a needle, thus piercing a small hole is negligible when u consider fragging methods for rics into the equation. i wld say fragging causes even greater injury and stress if not done correctly. ;)

isolating the ric and letting it attach to a small pc of LR is th best way, but juz that it takes a longer time.

:peace: juz me 2 cents.

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png

yup...I was just concern the suggestion of needles and not specifically stainless steel needles could led to diastrous results if no further research on it is done ;)

hmmm...how about toothpick on epoxy on LR... :blink: or toothpick and super glue gel-ed to the rock :lol:

yup...I was just concern the suggestion of needles and not specifically stainless steel needles could led to diastrous results if no further research on it is done ;)

hmmm...how about toothpick on epoxy on LR... :blink: or toothpick and super glue gel-ed to the rock :lol:

:wacko: faint :P

Austin's Birthday

.png

i was thinking of superglue the ric. But not sure if it will work.

1.First slice out the ric from the rock.

2. Let it heal for a day or two.

3. Take it and glue it to a piece of rock.

Any advise?

this is what i used to do. if the ric is oredi attached to a small pc of LR/coral chip, then proceed to use superglue to attach to the place u want. but if not, i wld not dare to try, coz of the toxicity (if any) the superglue will hv on the ric. :)

Austin's Birthday

.png

I will only ever glue a ric when its already attached to a rock chip....otherwise...too much for my weak heart to see a ric melt away because of sensitivity to the chemical reaction :upsidedown:

• SRC Member

Humm.. the only disadvantage of letting it attaching itself naturally is that it is a time consuming process. Haiz.. look like the old method is still the best.

Normally i put some LR chips on a container cap. Then i place the ric in. But the ric will always move. Maybe due to the fishes swimming by or current in tank.(i put in low current area already).

The rics always take at least a week or two before its attach to the chips.

How long your ric take to stick onto chips?

• SRC Member
Humm.. the only disadvantage of letting it attaching itself naturally is that it is a time consuming process. Haiz.. look like the old method is still the best.

Normally i put some LR chips on a container cap. Then i place the ric in. But the ric will always move. Maybe due to the fishes swimming by or current in tank.(i put in low current area already).

The rics always take at least a week or two before its attach to the chips.

How long your ric take to stick onto chips?

mine took ard 2 weeks if i can rem well.... :P

thot that it was the safest way of doing it....

• SRC Member

Try putting the ric into your sump tank where it is unlikely to be disturb by high current rate, fishes etc.. usually it works for me when i place the rics onto flat piece of rock and put into sump.

For those who have no sump and have to place in main tank, I ever read up on reefcentral that they use sharp pointed toothpick (but thinner version) and poke the ric and onto the rock.. This way, at least the toothpick wouldn't rust compare to needle.