going abroad for holidae

shoelevy

• SRC Member

hi guys

i'm going abroad for christmas holidae and my trip will last bout 8daes and no one will be home

considering the fact that i haf 2 tangs, 3 fire gobys and 5 dispars and corals

1)can i employ an auto feeder, fill it with pellets and dried cyclopeeze to feed my fishes?

2)ani other things i should take note of before leaving?

You should also have a reservoir ready to cope with the evaporation

Since you have anthias, its hard to slow down the auto feeder as you do not want food pouring into your tank when no one's eating

And depending on the type of skimmer you are using, you might want to find ways to prevent skimmate from overflowing from the collection too.

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

• SRC Member
You should also have a reservoir ready to cope with the evaporation

Since you have anthias, its hard to slow down the auto feeder as you do not want food pouring into your tank when no one's eating

And depending on the type of skimmer you are using, you might want to find ways to prevent skimmate from overflowing from the collection too.

i do not undersatnd the part about the anthias in relation to the auto feeder being fast

pls elaborate

if i haf a reservoir...doesn't that mean i need a tubby?

• SRC Member
cos he selling..once he's gone, it might be difficult to get 1 unit.

btw, think u had better chance if u can get nanny or entrust someone else to take care of your livestocks.

anything that can happen will happen while u're away. - murphy's law. :P

wa lau...u tink i don't want meh?

the trouble is marine tank so complicated...everything must be so precise...later my cousins "aiya....alittle more nvm"....or "alittle less nvm" den anihow add things or anihow forget to feed den that's it......

• SRC Member

corals (unless sun coral) need to feed at least once every few days, so they shld not be an issue.

Your fishes are more of an issue here. A auto-feeder would be a good choice. But does your anthias feed easily?

Then your lighting? using timer?

then tubby is indispensible for long period of absence.

Prepare a big pail of distilled water for the tubby & top up purposes.

Day b4 going off, do a visual check on all equipments make sure they are running well with no indication(s) of failing soon.

all these with no gurarantee sth else will comes up.

the best if u could get someone to pop in once a while to see everything working as intended. :)

• SRC Member
corals (unless sun coral) need to feed at least once every few days, so they shld not be an issue.

Your fishes are more of an issue here. A auto-feeder would be a good choice. But does your anthias feed easily?

Then your lighting? using timer?

then tubby is indispensible for long period of absence.

Prepare a big pail of distilled water for the tubby & top up purposes.

Day b4 going off, do a visual check on all equipments make sure they are running well with no indication(s) of failing soon.

all these with no gurarantee sth else will comes up.

the best if u could get someone to pop in once a while to see everything working as intended. :)

i'm using timer for lighting so no worries

my anthias feed on dried cyclopeeze readily that's y i wanna noe if an auto feeder is suitable not jus for pellets but for cyclopeeze as well

will take note of the remaining advices pegasus!

:thanks:

animore to add anione?

• SRC Member

8 days is pretty long.... My reservoir can only last my tank for about 5 days max before it needs to be refilled.

As for autofeeders I don't trust them, my brothers tank (non-marine) got bombed by food from the autofeeder.. messy..

What I did last time was to get my gf to drop by the house once in 2 days to feed the fishes... they (not sure abt anthias) usually will be able to survive with alternate day feedings... maybe even less

IMO, the topping up of water is the most crucial, if water levels dip too low your return pump will be pumping air... might catch fire and all that... dangerous

• SRC Member

Hi, just got back from a long holiday(16 days in fact). made some money at blackjack table=free stay vegas :whistle .

mine mainly FOWLER though. much simpler.

i got a tubby (cookiemunster) and a good auto feeder for life support.

ran a 16 day unassisted test run before departure to observe effects, reliability and measure required supply.

good luck & happy holiday.

tubby works like a charm. my compliments to cookiemunster.

Cheers.

manta

well for normal health fish can go without feeding for 14 days... so 8 days iis nothing.. also take this time a break to let your water get clearer and reduce n03 and p04...

Just saw out for top-up water will do...

hehe maybe not the anthias cannot go without food for such a long time... In the wild anthias feed almost all the time and in captivity anthias has to be fed a few times a day... Without food for 8days most probably your anthias will be very thin and den start missing one by one..... Dun think auto feeder can put dried cyclopeeze lah... Best find one nanny... Ask ard in this forum :lol::D:o

• SRC Member

most corals and fish can last 8 days with no feeding except some hungry ghost type like anthias, etc.

concern is evaporation, which reefers have pointed out that you need tubby.

but one important thing... power trips! once trip and you dun have anyone checking on a daily basis, you can kiss your stuffs goodbye. speaking from experience. dun underestimate mr murphy.