help on my hammer coral

cannondale

• SRC Member

Hammer are not hard at all. Calcium about 350 to 400 ppm will do. Nitrate try to keep it down like 10ppm ... if it is high .. no matter what you keep it is not going to be successful.

Mime melted till left 5 strands ...on a branch becasue I didn't know how during that time ... but now ... it have 4 - 5 branches ... I didnt even feed it.. as long as there is nutrient in the water - it should do well. In fact if the nutrient is low .. the color of the green tips might turn stronger ....provided with sufficient lighting. i was using 20K 150MH during that time. I am still keeping Frogspawn species (similar family to hammer) even though I have sps in my tank - they are beautiful.

Is that yours ? - the color is very nice :eyebrow:

• SRC Member

May be its other water parameters such as salinity temp, too much light. try to list em parameters.

An Extract one of what bro "Neokn" here posted on my Hammer coral query.

"Medium lighting and weaker current are appreciated by Euphyllids. Many are collected in shallow, turbid waters in the cover of mud/silt and seagrasses. Excessive water movement can be a cause of sweeper tentacle extension and subsequent stinging of tankmates. Likewise, the family is quite susceptible to photo-shock. New specimens should never be exposed to powerful lighting. Instead, place them in deeper, indirectly illuminated areas initially. "

You may wanna read up the entire article here.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/caryophyllids.htm

• SRC Member

Yup I broke off one dead head from a pair... that was almost 2 years ago, now the remaining head has already split into two again...

I broke it off with my bare hands actually, won't advise this because you might accidentally break off the healthy portion...

My clown also likes to host in the hammer but then the hammer doesn't seem to even notice...

• SRC Member

cannondale,

Use a thin blade saw to saw off the dead portion - it will recover in due time. But be careful not to saw the tissue maybe give it a few mm for allowance. I think if you experiencing a melt down - it is usu due to strong lighting. One of my pieces experience a melt down in 48 hours' time.

Also try to hide it partially.

Hope it helps.

cannondale,

Use a thin blade saw to saw off the dead portion - it will recover in due time. But be careful not to saw the tissue maybe give it a  few mm for allowance.  I think if you experiencing a melt down - it is usu due to strong lighting.  One of my pieces experience a melt down in 48 hours' time.

Also try to hide it partially.

Hope it helps.

dont really know where to hide. coz the 2 MH at the top.. everywhere also bright. <_<

somemore the hammer too large, no place for it to shift

• SRC Member
QUOTE (kareen @ Dec 13 2004, 06:28 AM)

hi bro! just wana know how much u pay for the two hammer shown......and where u get it from. 

got it from KL

huh? u got it in malaysia? Or some local fish shop, KL? Where and how much? Interested to get good ones.....

:) Greeting :)

Tank: 4' by 2' by 2' (CR antique)

Sump: 3' include 1' refuigm

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

So far I had 4 hammer & none survive in my tank!!!! Its very strange

my torch, frogspawn are doing very well. One of the reefer in the forum came

to my house & he also found it very strange as my hammer cannot survive &

my torch & frogspawn is doing so well. I'm using PL lighting.

Could bro here advise?

hi bro,

not sure if lighting is the caused. To the contrary, I think they love the lights [2x150w MH].

I placed mine near the top and on the side of the aquarium facing the window. It is doing very well. It started with 5 head and is currently 14+4 [died] heads.

I think the flow rate cannot be too strong and most importantly, they are very sensitive and susceptible to injury, especially if your hands touch the head [i killed 4 when I move them to allow for more even growth].

And it was one of the many corals that survived a period of NO3- at 100ppm. It was not too happy then but luckily, it did survive the ordeal.