Jewels

Matt06

If you are requesting advice on how to keep corals successfully and wish to have us help you troubleshoot... you have to first give us some background information on your tank setup, parameters etc.

I have a jewel for more than 8 months, it survive happily in my uncle's 150gallon reef............. Read from some where jewel are very delicate coral that do not survive for more than 6 months in a reefer's tank thsu not suitable for a newbie.............. Anyway also read up that jewel do well in under skim tank thus explain why they do not survive very well in advanced reefer's tank which have powerful skimmer............ Anyway in my uncle's tank, i keep the jewel iunder 2X150watt of MH and notice that jewel open very well under slight current

water parameter in my uncle tank is

ammonia-0

nitrite-0

nitrate-15

calcium-400mg/l

ph-8.4

Seachem calcium buffer and reef builder is added 2 twice a week...........

Feed his coral with kent phytoplex and now changing to DT live plankton

• SRC Member

With those kind of parameter, no wonder all your little "jewels" die in no time.

Yer suppose to keep 'em at around 34C, humidity of 80%+, and Ph of 7.6. Don't think NO3 matters that much.

If all else fails, try some Vi*gr* medication. :evil::evil:

With those kind of parameter, no wonder all your little "jewels" die in no time.

Yer suppose to keep 'em at around 34C, humidity of 80%+, and Ph of 7.6. Don't think NO3 matters that much.

huh what talking you

• SRC Member

Yer suppose to keep 'em at around 34C, humidity of 80%+, and Ph of 7.6.  Don't think NO3 matters that much.

If all else fails, try some Vi*gr* medication. :evil:  :evil:

Don't think this is funny

• SRC Member
pospeh Posted on Aug 29 2003, 07:47 PM

If all else fails, try some Vi*gr* medication.   

i don't get it...

is it a joke?

what new forum?

anyway,

Goniopora sp. aka jewel corals are very difficlut to maintain for long.

• SRC Member

aiyoo.. ppl need help n ask question u like this... :evil:

• SRC Member

Gonios are notorious for being hard to keep alive for more than a couple of months.

It has been theorized that since they come from turbid, high nutrient content waters, they need to have plenty of nutrients in the water column in order to survice.

But it is really touch and go.

I used to keep one goniopora in one of my first 2 feet tanks with only a canister filter. There was no protein skimming at all. I performed weekly 40% water changes. And the nitrates still remained sky high >50ppm. And I only had an 11w pl tube over it then...

And somehow it bloomed until it almost took up half of the tank volume. :blink::D:angel:

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

same here...i changed to sump and refugium....getting smaller and smaller

Maybe overskimming is detrimental to the health of goniopora? They might require more nutrients in the water as compared to other corals? :angel:

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/