This is SO SICK!!!

Achilles Tang

Recognized this farm everytime you go to Pasir Ris fish farms?

h10b.jpg

:angry:

Dec 17, 2004

Horrific find in dog farm in Pasir Ris

3 maggot-infested Shih Tzus feed on carcass of canine

By Tanya Fong

h10a.jpg

EIGHTY per cent of their fur gone, their skin and private parts crawling with maggots, they whimpered and scavenged on the carcass of their companion.

This was the horrific condition in which three Shih Tzus were found, barely alive, at a canine breeder's farm in Pasir Ris Farmway 2. The Agri-Food and Veterinary Authority (AVA) is investigating.

The breeder, however, said the four dogs, already in bad shape, had been found in a drain by a customer, who had given them to him to be looked after.

The dogs were discovered by volunteers for Metta Cats, a non-profit group that helps to house and feed abandoned cats. Its cattery is next to the breeder's farm.

Said one of the volunteers, a student, who asked not to be named: 'We were there on Dec 5. We heard the dogs whimpering, and saw them scavenging on the dead dog.'

PHOTO -- LAU FOOK KONG

The story is described on Metta Cats' website: 'The place was filled with faeces and urine... there was only one pathetic bowl of greenish water, covered with algae.'

The dog breeder, Mr Desmond Ee, 26, who runs a pet shop in Upper Bukit Timah Road, told The Straits Times in Mandarin: 'A customer found the four dogs abandoned in a drain. They were inside a cage, and were already wet and had very little hair. The customer told me to look after them for him... I didn't abuse them.'

Mr Ee added that he had entrusted the care of the dogs to a foreign worker as he was too busy.

Mr Bobby Tan Kok Peng, 25, a chef, said he found the dogs in a drain at Lorong Halus. 'I asked Desmond to take care of them for me... because I live in a Housing Board flat and have no space.'

Volunteers contacted Mr Ee and rescued the dogs on Dec 5. They took the dogs to veterinarian Frederic Chua, who reported the matter to the AVA.

One of the dogs died after three days despite attempts to save it. The surviving two are recovering at the Metta Cats' cattery.

Mr K. Madhavan, head of AVA's Centre for Animal Welfare and Control, said: 'We will not hesitate to take action against the owner... if there was an act of cruelty.'

• SRC Member

wah piang even if the story is really true, ie someone passed the already sick dogs to the farm to take care, the responsibility is with the farm liao. if cannot give proper care, dun accept or put it down. hope the farm owner gets the max penalty! to make matters worst, blame the workers! i say lousy boss!!!

• SRC Member

pardon my lousy eng, i dun get it... the volunteers found the dogs, then pass them to this desmond then how they ended in the pasir ris farm?

or the sequence is the volunteers found the dogs at that farm then entrust desmond to look after them who passed them to his foreign worker?

dog = pair ris farm -> volunteer at cattery -> bukit timah pet shop -> AVA?

• SRC Member

i think he has got an alibi....someone who said he found the dogs by the lonkang and pass it to him to look after....

anyway...its sad that the dogs ended up this way....but i seriously doubt that anyone will abandon 3 puppy shitzus instead of selling them....suspicious rite?

AT : u bringing ur AHT to the asia pet show at suntec?

:lol:

• SRC Member

think the blame shouldnt be focused on the farm owner. The MAIN CULPRIT is still the IRRESPONSIBLE PET OWNER WHO DISCARDED THE DOGS.

And sadly, forsaken/ill treated pets are nothing new, and may be on the rise as well. And with pets, i do mean fishes as well...

So before we point fingers, let's all do some soul searching and try our best to prevent ourselves or people we know to repeat the same mistakes IRREGARDLESS of the EXTENT of the cruelty involved...

• SRC Member

This is very sad. :cry: Seeing a life being treated like this. People have to understand pets are commitment for life and is more than just a christmas gift for the kids. There is always more to the cute face at the dog shop. Sigh. Very sad and disturbing but I do not see an end to this. Hopefully we can help by educating our family and friends and hope they pass it on.

Life is a Cruel Teacher. It punishes you first and then gives you the lesson

• SRC Member
think the blame shouldnt be focused on the farm owner. The MAIN CULPRIT is still the IRRESPONSIBLE PET OWNER WHO DISCARDED THE DOGS.

And sadly, forsaken/ill treated pets are nothing new, and may be on the rise as well. And with pets, i do mean fishes as well...

So before we point fingers, let's all do some soul searching and try our best to prevent ourselves or people we know to repeat the same mistakes IRREGARDLESS of the EXTENT of the cruelty involved...

sorry but i disagree.

1) who knows if the "customer" is telling the truth or is a friend who is lying to cover for the dog farm owner.

2) so what if they were really found in the drain and someone else is responsible for abandoning the dogs? the condition that the volunteers found them in the farm, and the desperation of the dogs there proves that the farm owner is at least equally, if not more, responsible for the cruelty.

they should arrest him and question him + his "customer" and expose the bullsh*t :angry:

Be teachable always, nobody has a monopoly on wisdom. But learn to distinguish "fact" from "opinion".

• SRC Member

Hi All !

I find it all very strange ...even though if its true someone found the abandon dog and passed over to the farm owner ,

1. How come its in the drain after the farm owner take over ?

2. Why blame the farm worker when his job is supposed to look after animals ?

If the above story is true then there're only 2 possibilities .....

either 1 or 2 is at fault !

But i find point 2 abit ridiculous...found dog in a cage yet in drain...!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#$*@ BOYCOTT !!!!!!!!!!!! :evil::evil::evil:

I think I have to clarify somethings:

- Firstly, the FARM OWNER is not Desmond. Desmond is someone who is renting a place from that farm.

- Secondly, there are, if I am not wrong, two different groups selling puppies wihtin the same compound and none of them are Desmond.

- Desmond's shop is in Bukit Timah and he is renting a place to breed his dogs and there are a couple of different kennels breedgin dogs in that same farm but are not related.

I just thought it would be good to clarify things when I see that it is being misrepresented.....it is just as wrong as saying that reefworld is Iwarna.

Just sharing!

The reason to so many dogs/cats abandoned is because people simply do not have enough choices here for less maintenance pets (there are many alternatives but many of these are not viewed as acceptable yet). As a result they end up buying something which does not fit their lifestyle. That's the problem here. Sometimes consumers just lack the choice which they should be entitled to. They end up buying something as a substitute which does'nt really suit their lifestyle in the end. Dogs, cats, rabbits, etc take up alot of time and many people find they can't commit in the long run..which by then is already too late. Not to mention the financial upkeep which most people tend to overlook when choosing a pet. Always think twice about keeping something warm blooded. They need to be cared for daily and they need genuine daily interaction for emotional well-being.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/