Filter Necessary???

• SRC Member

A skimmer is a necessity.

A mechanical filter is not necessary.

You just need plenty of live rock or about 4 inches of fine-grade sand on the bottom of your tank for biological filtration.

You also need to provide good water circulation around your tank.

• SRC Member

for a 2 feet tank, how expensive can a air driven skimmer and a hang on filter be? i think if you have decided on starting this hobby, you should have set aside some money for the setting up and the equipment. but other wise, popseh's right.

• SRC Member
for a 2 feet tank, how expensive can a air driven skimmer and a hang on filter be? i think if you have decided on starting this hobby, you should have set aside some money for the setting up and the equipment. but other wise, popseh's right.

im not hiaming the expense.... jus frustrated at so many different kind of advice i get... i also not sure use which one....

*translated from Hokkien*

"If say no bang wall, this idiot will never ripen" - Mr Quah Siew Kow.

• SRC Member

ya.. i got both my liberty 200 + maxi 200 for $50plus (2nd hand)

• SRC Member
A skimmer is a necessity.

A mechanical filter is not necessary.

You just need plenty of live rock or about 4 inches of fine-grade sand on the bottom of your tank for biological filtration.

You also need to provide good water circulation around your tank.

Hi,

Can I check how much is plenty of LRs for a 2 feet tank?

Rgds

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I don't think there's a "correct" amt of LR to put in.

U can just buy the LRs sufficent to aquascape ur 2ft tank( maybe to cover the back of ur tank!) .

I think that shd be enough to manage ur tank's load. Also a 2ft tank can't really house many fishes.

As for the filter, i would think it's a necessity. It just makes u feel safe?? :D

A hang-on or internal one is alrite...

Just my little contributions :D

Regards

Benson

• SRC Member

IMO, do a DSB...

then LR place the amt u like n need to landscape ur tank....

as for mechanical filter, go for those hang-on type... more budget.... liberty 200 / any other brand... buy 1 that supports 200 gal/hr or more then fine tune the power....

it can siphon large pieces of 'dirt' ( put filter wool inside ) n remove minimal amt of toxic ( the layer of carbon which replacement shldnt cost much as well ) n also create current in water.... ;)

hmm how about canister filters like the Eheim types? are they effective or something? I bought one just today with the intention of using it for my freshwater fish *hahaha. pampering them* but come to think of it, I may just want to use it for my new marine setup....

so is it feasible or something? no harm done to the tank with canister filter right? or die die must get overhead stuff? hmm. help please. thanks (=

yah. for freshwater. hahaha. even this friend of mine claims that if I got a girlfriend, she'll probably be dead jealous over the way I pamper my fishes.

hmm but overhead filters do create a bit of water turbulence, and from what I read, that is supposedly good for marine whereas freshwater is preferable to have a more still body of water.

hmm. any advice? don't want to spend a bomb on getting wave makers and all.

• SRC Member

You can use powerheads to circulate water in marine tanks.

From feedback i read in forums, overhead filters don't seem to be recommended at all for marine tanks. Personally, i've not used overhead filters before so i won't comment on them.

Canister filters can be used in marine setups. However, you need to maintain it regularly(Like once every 2weeks or something like that) otherwise it could end up as a

nitrate factory which won't be good for marine setups.

• SRC Member

I using a canister, but din touch it for around 2 mths. Is that alright? What I put inside is just bio rings. What should I do to maintain it?

I do not have a DSB...as for the live rocks, I believe it should be enough. Is the biological filteration enough for my 2.5ft tank? What else should I do? Thot of putting carbon, phows and poly filter inside. Would that helps?

hmm but why is there a need to urh...maintain the canister filter so regularly? I thought filters were designed with ease of maintenance and all....and besides, I thought canister was made for "once in a two month maintenance." hmm. :P

I may however, buy another type of canister filter for marine. a wet/dry type for aeration, but I heard that isn't totally necessary as you can adjust the water blast bar or something. is that true?

lastly. filters with inbuilt temperature adjusters. good buy, or avoid like the plague? thanks! (=