Sump Filtration

veliferium

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

• SRC Member

Yeah, agree with Reefbum...I tried to save money and brought a tank without a predrilled hole for sump and used cannister for filtration.

Now got to DIY siphone pipe in order to add a sump...not to mention very very troublesome <_< .

Also a sump make changing water very convienent :P .

• SRC Member

get a sump. definitely. even if its just a small one. don't be like me as well, get a tank without an outlet hole. that means that all the equipment you want must hang in the tank, not only ugly but also means what you can do is limited.

a sump allows you to put all your equipment in, out of sight, and makes maintenance easier. it increases your water volume so that parameters are more stable, and can be where you do nutrient export or keep things that cannot go into your main tank (e.g. non-reef safe things).

plus, you don't have to commit to a big sump at the beginning. even a small one will do. the point is, as long as water runs out of your tank into the sump, you can change the size of your sump in future and add more equipment without having to reset your entire tank.

Be teachable always, nobody has a monopoly on wisdom. But learn to distinguish "fact" from "opinion".