Critters For Dsb

• SRC Member

Hi, read in a mag where this guy was advocating full crew for DSB, with bristleworms, pods, etc etc (can't rem the rest) to burrow in the DSB and improve water circulation. He says he buys starter kits several times a year to maintain a high level of critters. I"m thinking these kits might be great for refugiums? And I bought some LR from SL for the first time, and the aunty said all their LR are "cleaned and brushed, algae removed, etc" by them hence the higher price ($10), but then I bring home and look at my rocks and wonder if they should be so clean? I don't see no worm nor star nor anything much, other than one tiny sponge. So my question is: should the LR be cleaned or as "dirty" as possible. and good idea to get the "starter" kits? If so where to get?

• SRC Member

as far as i know,

SL snips off the algae, sponges.

by scraping off the unwanted algae and sponges,

you can prevent die-offs in your tank.

removal of sponges is good as they also

use up the nutrients that your nice corals need and use like

calcium, strontium and other trace elements...

also since LR is sold by weight, its cheaper?

personally, i prefer mine that way :)

LR at CF cost a lot more,

but are cured, and of a better grade,

you get what you pay for.

the good stuff like pods, brittlestars and worms are still in there.

and over time, they will 'fertilize' your DSB.

if you want to seed it faster, you can ask around for

reefers with mature tank who can spare you a handful of their sand.

or if you are on good terms with some LFS, you can ask the owners too.

I saw someone getting some Henry of ML.

if you have a refugium, just buy some caulerpa and place there,

the pods will thrive.

• SRC Member
????? SL sell LR????, IMO i don't think they are. I have bought some from them and they are now my base rock. :D

Go R**f W**** and CF, take a look and you will know what is really LR. :evil:

i got half my LR from SL... not that bad la.. morever most of the LR i got from there have bits of mushrooms in it :)

• SRC Member

Well I think its nice they snip off the algae from LR, (tho still got bits left here and there, so still need to DIY), but was hoping more sponges and more worms and the like were left, hmmm wonder what they do with all the live stuff in the rock when they clean it? but thanx for all your replies, will go check out CF!

• SRC Member
SL LR not live 1.....

dun buy from there in the future...

last time bought 4kg now still looks as gd as dead...

how long did u put em in ur tanks???

creatures normally come out at night...

sometimes they cme out only if ur water conditions are good... and the environment looks safe to me.

i had LRs from SL too...

My sand now have lots of funny creatures around...

:erm:

• SRC Member

wad u mean by farnie creatures??

i bought sum LRs today frm Para### R33F... fiji ones... 16 a kilo.... abit $$ ahz??

so anyway,... wad kinda creatures or thing can i expect??? besides fiji critters... duh....

wad kinda critters??? :eyebrow::eyebrow::eyebrow:

*translated from Hokkien*

"If say no bang wall, this idiot will never ripen" - Mr Quah Siew Kow.

• SRC Member

how long did u put em in ur tanks???

creatures normally come out at night...

sometimes they cme out only if ur water conditions are good... and the environment looks safe to me.

i had LRs from SL too...

My sand now have lots of funny creatures around...

:erm:

ya... during my cycling period..i used to watch all the critters crawling around...removed about 5 crabs from it so far.... so who wants the crab?? hehheh i just caught 1 more..will throw away tomorrow..

• 5 weeks later...
Hi, read in a mag where this guy was advocating full crew for DSB, with bristleworms, pods, etc etc (can't rem the rest) to burrow in the DSB and improve water circulation. He says he buys starter kits several times a year to maintain a high level of critters. I"m thinking these kits might be great for refugiums? And I bought some LR from SL for the first time, and the aunty said all their LR are "cleaned and brushed, algae removed, etc" by them hence the higher price ($10), but then I bring home and look at my rocks and wonder if they should be so clean? I don't see no worm nor star nor anything much, other than one tiny sponge. So my question is: should the LR be cleaned or as "dirty" as possible. and good idea to get the "starter" kits? If so where to get?

water circulation for DSB?? i tot thats wat ppl do not 1?

believe less then 50% of wat ppl tell u n bring it up tp 99% by confirming it urself