Overflow Box

blackpuma

• SRC Member

My DIY'ed overflow box. Leak testing now, the cup is to collect the water dripping from the bulkhead. I did not glue the durso assembly yet , that is why it is leaking.

The box is tested leak free.

Also neet help to remove some spots on the acrylic caused by accendental spillage of acrylic glue. So far tried brasso but the results are no very good. ;)

post-9-1105833022.jpg

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Blackpuma,

Good looking overflow box. May I know how are you going to fit this to your tank? Inside or outside?

Looking to build sowerhing like this too, but smaller. Maybe you can share the construction process as well as where to get the parts?

Thanks. :thanks:

• SRC Member

Tested the box today, so far so good.

Here are some points in constructing the inner and outer box.

1. Inside box teeth is cut with a Dremel tool. I do not have a router to cut the teeth but paln to buy one when I save enough.

2. All joints are capilarry cemented. Since it's my first time working with acrylic, I started with the inside box first. The inside box do not have to be water tight. With experience gained from making the inside box, I progressed to make the outside box which was reletively water tight.

3 Drain bulkhead is 1" and 3/4" for the siphon tubes. Do not use 1" siphon tubes. I found out the hard way, it is not possible to expel air from a 1" siphon pipe. I ended using two 3/4" siphon pipe for increased flow.

4. All acrylic 5 mm thick from Dama.

Hope this helps for those attemting a similar project. ;)

post-9-1106372994.jpg

3 Drain bulkhead is 1" and 3/4" for the siphon tubes. Do not use 1" siphon tubes. I found out the hard way, it is not possible to expel air from a 1" siphon pipe. I ended using two 3/4" siphon pipe for increased flow.

I hv been using 2 x 1.25" siphon tubes aka U-tubes. no such problem as impossible to expel air from within the tubes.

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png

• SRC Member

I hv been using 2 x 1.25" siphon tubes aka U-tubes. no such problem as impossible to expel air from within the tubes.

Maybe you can share with me how you expel the air from your 1.25" U tube. Do you use a lenght of tubing to suck the air out and start the siphon ? I have tried using 1" pipe but the siphon just won't start.

Maybe you can share with me how you expel the air from your 1.25" U tube. Do you use a lenght of tubing to suck the air out and start the siphon ? I have tried using 1" pipe but the siphon just won't start.

yes. i did juz that. maybe ur internal overflow box juz aint big enuff to prime the 1" pipes that u hv or ur Siphon tubes juz aint long enuff.

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png

• SRC Member

1" durso. you have to cut the 90 deg elbow to squeze the durso assembly inside the limited space.

this is the only process which i always dun like to do when helping reefer to make the overflow box :rolleyes:

hate to cut pvc piping especially the elbo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...