Newbie Setting Up His First Time Sw Tank

• SRC Member

LCK really a good place to go???? it seem like the corals sum cheap and sum exp.. but i like the elephant ear.. $35... still got sum clams but never check the price... as for the fishes... not much variety there lei........... btw their LR are exp..... cheapest $12/kg rite???? i tot those places should sell at least $8/kg seem it is sort of like a farm?

Coral farm also selling $8/kg which is haven discount yet.. after discount willl be cheaper.... i think coral farm currently see the cheapest thing in sg...

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Berrykin,

Maybe you can believe what they teach and then you can report back on your long term success of your reef tank after 6 months? ;)

Maybe you can show us a thing or two... ;)

• SRC Member

Hey could i know wat is the best lighting to put.. example 1 antinic and 1 white.. but i dont know the naems... maybe coral life.. but not good only produce 20 kw..

Best Regards,

giritharan

I like the bkt timah one, ask the uncle about wei**o skimmer, he say never heard of, no need, try to fob some other one to me, then checked out their stuff, then..... GASP.... saw a lobster with NO body only head, still alive and kicking in the tank, its really gruesome, imagine plucking off the head, can see the part where the body used to join it too, and the whole head still got legs and moving around!

the lobster is not chopped off or anything. its body is eaten by a snapper. of course if it didnt die u will leave it there n let it live rite? gruesome? wat u gonna do? throw away the other half which is still kicking? :shock:

believe less then 50% of wat ppl tell u n bring it up tp 99% by confirming it urself

S@@@liF# also cheat newbies one... go to one of my earlier post to see wad i mean.... hong leong one... er... they say equipment is ex... dats all i noe....

i personally find hong leong 1 the most technical place i had been to. henry is the onli guy that bombarbed me with all the technical terms when i just started, which i got to understand after some read up. i find him one of the guys with technical knowledge n pratical exp. maybe u wld like to 'pay' some fee at his shop n try to clear all ur doubts knowing they r true.

believe less then 50% of wat ppl tell u n bring it up tp 99% by confirming it urself

No lei.. from wat i know their fish are quite cheap or same as market price....... U can look at their personal tank.. they dun use MH... but normal actinic lights..... u can see more other LFS uses MH for their tank...... They really teaches u rear in a budget and successful way

What do they keep under actnic light, coral??? mm wait tilla few more months and you go take a look

truely speaking, i started my tank with timah. i personally read up on these things myself n find that timah had done wrong in certain areas.( onli tru wat the book had told me) N of course i had nv done all those thing by trial n error. Even they r wrong in certain things n maybe a lack of technical knowledge, but we shd all give them a little credit for being in the business for 20 years. surely 20 years of trial n error will teach u something?( which differ from books? unless u r telling me u had been doing R&D for a longer period of time)

20 years of trial and error will result in a 20 year trail of errors. :D

Stagnation while the world whizzes by in leaps and bounds.... if technology and research has improved so much in the past 3 years, how much more 10 years ago or for that matter.. 20 years ago? ;)

Why do you think there is such a far gap between the fish shop and hobbyists in terms of the latest reefkeeping knowledge? They have failed to utilize the tools of today's world to learn and improve. And you know how the older generation is, you can't teach them a thing because limpeh was packing saltwater fish when you still drinking milk! :D

• SRC Member

i started my reefing with the bukit timah shop too...

their methods are kind of back dated and they still advocate undergravel...

best is to still do the necessary research, the internet provides a lot of information,

up to date reading material is also neceassary.

trail and error will only cost more money and loss of LS in the long run.

times change, methods improve.

the results speak for themselves.

personally, i i were a newbie, i'd go to ML at Hong Leong.

Henry might charge more but he is HONEST and he gives good advice.

if you know what to look for, go to the farms like CF and LCK or L. Halus,

you might get a good bargain..

personally, i find stuff at OP reasonably priced and Thomas is a stand up guy.

spidey, have to disagree with you here.

but as for ROYGBIV :fear:

• SRC Member

It is true that the LFS at B**** T**** is using only FL and not MH or even PL for their. But that tank does not have any piece of coral that survives longer than a month in it. ie, they keep changing their lifestock when the one in the 'display tank' dies.

In my opinion they are not out there to sell Marine Critters for the love of it. They are simply business oriented and would go to the extent of selling lifestock on the day they sell the tank and salt to the customer.

They even have dyed anemones on sale there.

It may be true that they have Many years of experience, but whether they want to be honest and share that experience is a different matter altogether.

Hope this offends no one, but i dont want anyone reading this thread to think that it is a credible LFS. At least not in my opinion.

ermmm....i tot R&D sometimes means T & E........n 20 years of T & E i dont believe that 1 cant learn a thing. ways to rear fish 20 years ago wont be feasible now?hai....anyway, each have our stand n no point debating ... wont 1 to heat up our no.1 here.

( i am not saying they r rite but they must have their + point. 1 must be a morong not to learn from 20 years)

Actually from my own personal experience, Thomas of OP has always been rather fair-priced, friendly, sincere and a nice dude.

Don't know why you felt so strongly about his SPS pricing to you... but end of the day, you bought it right? ;) You shouldn't grumble now.

You wanna retract your statement or stand by it? ;)

I agreed with AT. Most of the OP pricing, whether if it's life stock or dry stock, are below market price after discount. OP is the only LFS operates on one man show and thus able to keep pricing competitive. The owner was so nice that he even at one time made a delivery to my house at 10pm (provided you stay in Jurong) and he even refused my extra $5 for his petrol fee. :peace:

• SRC Member

First, I think we are off topic. Second, before I started Marine, when I was in the stage of looking around LFS, I stumbled a shop in Jurong West Entertainment Center. The Ah Pek told me that he used to sell marine and run courses on Marine and guess what, he told me the shop that BT is his disciple. He said all those people are ungrateful, learn from him already and then setup shop to compete with him. I am not sure how true is this but this is what he told me.

Again, we are :off:

Thanks

• SRC Member

Dear all,

I am staying in Tampines and I usually cycle to the farm in Pasir Ris.

I think T**y Aquarium is quite good. They have about 8 - 10 big blue container (those very big one for keeping koi) of corals.

Price are reasonable too. $6-8 for small corals. $8-10 for big corals. For example, buttons, Califlower, Turtle Glass, Sea Fan, etc...etc.

The uncle is honest too. I wanted to buy a lobster and he advise me against it. I have been to some shop and the owner will tell you that everything is ok. I had a very bad experience recently when I bought a "DOCILE" grouper which ate my fire shrimp and tried to bite my angelfish.

Anyway, I got con by Rain*** too. I bought a Sun Coral for $18, I could have gotten the same piece for $10.

• SRC Member

Wow..thats quite an unfair flaming spidy. IMO he has been very transparent and reasonable in his pricing. There may be reasons why he has to sell certain items. more expensively. A lot of times ,as i mentioned before, the pricing is influenced by the source. The sps you got was expensive largely because he got it from PR. As in all business, middle man gets a cut and the end user pays for it. I would suggest that you buy direct from PR in future and boycott his shop completely if you have such strong feelings about the incident. :blink:

Anyway, there is a chinese saying that goes ' ni qing wo yuan'. Nobody forced you at knife point to make the purchase i hope. :sick:

As for his 'actor friends'. They must be novice since you can see through their trick so easily. (*calling out*) hey those that were involved, please brush up on your individual acting skills ok? I could have done a better job.. i guess. Maybe can get you to buy a prizm skimmer which you obviously don't need. :)

Please don't take this post to offence. It is just my inner voice shouting out.