seamonkee

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• SRC Member

Agree with Riot. No need for Zeovit in this case since he is not into SPS. Go with a Shallow Sand bed instead of DSB, there has been a lot of ppl pulling out their DSB lately. Use a powerful skimmer to get rid of the DOCs before it breaks down into nitrates. Lots of flow to keep the detritus suspended. :)

• SRC Member
Go starboard bare bottom..... ;)

Will be very interested to see progress......so far had been enjoying this thread....keep the updates coming...... :lol:

I never like barebottom... though I know it is a trend that many are taking in America... The tank looks "incomplete" somehow without some substrate on the bottom...

Will 4" reckon as DSB? Somehow I still prefer 5"

I like DSB because it works for me... in my previous tank.... my nitrate level never shoot over 5ppm...

• SRC Member

Okie... this is what I decided... I will go for a 4" sand bed in the main tank.... technically, I heard that is a minimal for DSB to be effective....

So exposing 2 inch is still not so bad...

Probably five inch at the back sloping back...

Because the way the carpentry work is done... very hard to change the skirting...

• SRC Member

2 inch its not bad actually. so dun worry much bro.

very marvelous combination of ur tank, cabinet and surrounding.

I'm very impressed.

Have fun setting up it with lifes seamonkee. and keep us posted man. We are watching. LOL

=)

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

Genesis 1:20

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||

PROBLEM!!!! Ask for 3" bottom skirting and the carpenter only make a 2" bottom skirting...

How?!?!? I was planning a DSB of 5"??!?! It will look "weird" with 3" of sand sticking out?!?!?!

What do u guys recommend? :(:(:(

HELP! HELP! HELP!

My sump compartment for refugium is only 1' x 1.5'... so it is does not fully support the main tank even with a DSB...

Sloping of the sand I heard is useless cause it will be levelled out by the current anyway...

Bro, use the oyama paper and stick another 2 inch from the bottom of the tank to the place u wanna hide the sandbed... It'll probably be about another 2-3 inch from the skirting... Dat's how my tank is and after awhile, u dun even notice it... :P

People do not plan to fail; Often they just fail to plan...

Wat I do to prevent myself from tearing my hair out... My stress remedy...

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• SRC Member
PROBLEM!!!! Ask for 3" bottom skirting and the carpenter only make a 2" bottom skirting...

How?!?!? I was planning a DSB of 5"??!?! It will look "weird" with 3" of sand sticking out?!?!?!

What do u guys recommend? :(:(:(

HELP! HELP! HELP!

My sump compartment for refugium is only 1' x 1.5'... so it is does not fully support the main tank even with a DSB...

Sloping of the sand I heard is useless cause it will be levelled out by the current anyway...

try see if you can slope your sandbed lor....place peices of rocks as buffer to prevent too much sand from the back to slide to the front.....

• SRC Member

Here's an update... Mr Lim came and did the pipe connection.... His package include helping link up all the equipment I have... Of course, he is more than glad to do so provided u keep him informed ahead what equipment u have, already bought it and have it there ready....

Nice chap... His workmanship is truly professional....

Anyway, here's an overview of the sump... looks messy but it isn't really... He will be back tomorrow to help connect the lights (which is part of my package agreement with him - full package w full works)... He will also cable-tie all the connections for me tomorrow (cause he is out of cable ties)....

'O' rings are definitely out for me cause with salt water, they rust over time and I will have a challenge taking them out later if I want to change equipment....

Return pump is on the left (directly up to tank) while I have two inlet pipes linked from the left overflow over to the right....

post-34-1107445444.jpg

• SRC Member

Initially wanted the skimmer to be placed outside the sump... then realised we have to raise it way high above water level for it to work... decided to put it in sump instead... because I have a height constraint to put it too high...

I really thank God for how fitting the items went inside the sump area.... even Mr Lim is surprised!!! We go by "guesstimation" and were shock at how things just fit exactly....

The styrofoam to support the skimmer higher was actually from my MAK4 package box... :lol::D:lol:

post-34-1107445637.jpg

• SRC Member

After putting the styrofoam to raise the skimmer, the outlet was exactly above water level in the sump!!! Thank God!!!!

On top of this... The area above for me to remove the overflow cup is exactly 1cm which is the exact height left for me to take out the overflow cup.... Yeah!!!!

post-34-1107445817.jpg

• SRC Member

Double inlet pipe... Really good thing to have... U never know when a "doofus" snail might crawl into ur overflow compartment and "choke" ur inlet pipes... so better to have two... kiasu lah.... :lol::D:lol:

I heard some people even have 3!!!

post-34-1107445995.jpg

• SRC Member

Here's the Oceanfree9000 pump I am using to run the Skimmer...

I heard it is the same as SEN900 (which is the recommended pump for EV240)...

In any case, I am running all external pumps because I am not using a chiller...

post-34-1107446094.jpg

• SRC Member

Right side of sump... Gosh... after all these equipments... I cannot add anymore liao... but okie lah... as long as I dun go LPS, SPS... and maintain at softies... I think this should be okie...

Right side a bit messy but not really lah...

Turbotwister UVlight 6x behind.....

FR with BAC compartment on the right behind)

Tubby with pail in the front...

Return pump is Tee-off to run FR and UV Light....

That's all for now...

Going to do some sand washing... :erm:

post-34-1107446254.jpg

• SRC Member

BIG QUESTION....

I always wonder if this affects the effectiveness of the DSB...

If I put water first, then the prewahsed sand, stir and stir and let it settle down by next day... Then I add salt... technically speaking, does it mean that the bottom of the DSB is in effect not saltwater? Then would it affect the anaerobic bacteria...

What should I do first?

A) Add salt and water.... half full... then add prewashed sand and then top with water and more salt.... and let the system run...

Next day take out some salt water and then add liverocks... which is which first?

Thanks....

• SRC Member

As per hamannbmw's advice.... Change the styrofoam to eggcrate... ;)

Yet to fill the sump area with sand.... There will not be a DSB in the sump (partly due to the skimmer.... but put some sand for denitrifying bacteria to grow and also for growth of pods and stuff.... :)

post-34-1107502793.jpg