When is it suitable for Anemonies??

dtaytc

• SRC Member

Hi, recently I have finished my cycling process... So now would like to stock-up some fishes and anemonies... Can u guys tell me when would it be suitable for me to buy those now??

Btw, is it recommended to change 20%~50% of the cycled water??

I know i should stock up real slow and steady... and can I have 1 anemonies and 2 fishes now?? pls advise... :thanks:

• SRC Member

Thanks bro Klim... I will like to buy 1 anemonies today for my clown fishes which I intend to buy too..... any of u guys selling anemonies??? Nice one ofcoz... just like the orange color one.... wow... nice... but will it be dangerous??

• SRC Member

guys,

i'd suggest you read up more abt the anemones before buying them.

yeah sure they look nice, but its not just about the water condition, a good lighting is essential as they are photosynthetic.

low light = no strength = dieing = getting suck into powerhead = tank crash

its funny but its true.

;)

ps : its better to do a 50% water change after your cycling process is over before adding any live stock.

• SRC Member

Klim....how long have you been keeping anemones ?????

dtaytc, i think the general concenus by reefers are they are not easy to keep.....they require clean water and brightlights and when stress, dies and possibly nuke the tank....therefore not really advisable for new tank setup....you need experience in keeping this kind of wonderful creatures....

for you information, clown fish does not really need anemones....when there is none they tend to host in other corals.....

• SRC Member

Hi bro tineng, I have kept my Anemone for more than 1 month....although it had been stress for a couple of time, it still grow well.

My water NO3 is 50ppm...light on for 2-3hr per day.

The Anemone always open and clown fish love it very much.

Hi bro veliferium, everything in the world is not easy, but that doesn't mean we cannot try.

Hi bro dtaytc, what you need to be careful is that if you see the base is rotten or there is white things coming out from the center(mouth), you need to take it out of your tank. If you want one, you can get a good one from Supreme Aquarium T-95, Seletar West Farmway 1 64823083.

After all, breeding everything take risk and care. Good Luck.

• SRC Member

Thanks Bro Klim once again... I think this guy know quite alot... actually I dun know where is the place u mentioned... fish farm at pasir ris?? or the seletar Aquarium shop near to the Loti paste? But would like be very expensive as well?? some one suggested that I should try my luck in the anemonies in fish :P farm...

• SRC Member
Hi bro tineng, I have kept my Anemone for more than 1 month....although it had been stress for a couple of time, it still grow well.

The Anemone always open and clown fish love it very much.

50ppm nitrate is consider very high liaoz.

only 2 to 3 hours lights for your anemone?

careful that it might just "kong kar kiao"

• SRC Member

hehehhe...when i first started also manage to keep for about 2 months....but then 1 fine day it started to swivel up and then it was gone....:(....

now with SPS the risk is too high for me to try something like that again.....any good luck and be careful

• SRC Member

50ppm nitrate is consider very high liaoz.

only 2 to 3 hours lights for your anemone?

careful that it might just "kong kar kiao"

I agreed with diabolus....

50ppm is too high not juz for ur anemone but for ur fishes as well???

2 hours of light is definitely not sufficient as well...

Pls consider carefully before getting an anemone...

• SRC Member

Hi Bro dtaytc, T95 is way before the prata shop, it is the road going from the place where they sell plant outside the road. The LFS is good and cheap for corals and Anemone, compare to other LFS.

But since so many brothers out there have sent cautious sign, I think you better think twice. After all, my Anemone is 1+ month old. Hope it will not "up the lorry".

Beside, my NO3 has go down to 25ppm...."heng ah" but still need to work on to reduce it.

• SRC Member

if your tank water quality, flow is not up to par they will start to run everywhere. As for lighting, they do need that but it doesn't mean you throw them straight below the MH, still got to let them acclimatize abit, unless the LFS which you got it from started them on MH.

Placement is also crucial. they like to stick to a rock but certain species require deep holes and crevice for the comfort level.

• SRC Member

Haha.... thanks bro. i will but currently very busy with my work leh.... seldom have time for research le.... that's y need u guys here for real help.... Thanks for so many advises.... i will control my nitrate level 1st b4 I input any anemonies....

anemones are regarded diff invertebrates and they are not necessary for captive clown fish. In the wild the need each other to suvive.

The care of anemones are similar to SPS. which authers recommend good water circulation and bright lightings. Kwowledge and research goes a long way to maintaining these yet to be better understood by humans. visit.reefcentral.com or wetwebmedia.com for detail research.

cheers mate

I would still want to emphasize the fact that 50ppm of nitrates is very high, almost to toxic levels. Even if it has gone down to 25ppm, it is still too much. Reefers usually keep their nitrates at undetectable levels or at most 5ppm. Are you taking any measures to reduce your nitrates?

And your lighting, 2-3 hrs is too short a time to keep your lights on. Its just doesn't make any sense as you don't see the sun for only 2-3 hrs do you? For fluorescent tubes, its recommended to be turned on for about 12hrs and or MH its about 8hrs.

I seriously hope you do more research into this hobby first before attempting any difficult LS and much less offer advice to other reefers. Just want you to know that I am not out to flame you but pls do your part to reduce the number of dieoffs :lol:

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif