dismounting off bike while refueling

aStRoBo|

• SRC Member

as we all noe, from TNP, sh3ll make it compulsory for all riders to dismount from their bike when refueling. Wad's ur view. as a biker, i find it's pure crap. <_< why dun they tilt the car at an angle and ask them to refuel see how.

Everything's sold. Back in 2yrs time.

ga051025.gif

If it's a WRX, it gotta be STI.

av-24.gif

• SRC Member

actually its a precaution....

do you know the number of motorist (cars and bikes) that managed to top up petrol and just run away?

when i used to do patrol... every 2 days... sure got petrol attendent come to police station or stop police car to report such cases....

its also quite hard to trace back the person thru footage of CCTV and all the trouble....

*translated from Hokkien*

"If say no bang wall, this idiot will never ripen" - Mr Quah Siew Kow.

• SRC Member

ok, let's be fair in this case. If sh3ll wan us bikers(im a biker) to get off the bike while refueling as a fear we might caught fire while on our bike, does it means that driver whom remain in the car will be able to ran away much faster than a biker? Drivers alot, i see, who doesnt off their engine, or stay in their car while refueling. Where's the fairness here? For bike, if we did not place our bike straight up, and refuel it using our side stand, we cant fully fill the tank. Thus, some might say top part of the petrol tank will get rust. and there's even a petition going online. And have u ppl ever seen a pump attendent attend to a rider? all are busy attending, wiping those cars, and dun give us a damn. What i do now if i ever go sh3ll, will ask the pump attendent come over, hold my bike up straight, while i refuel, dismounted from my bike. <_<

here is the petition: http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?shellsg&1

boss, mods, if not appropriate, pls delete the website.

ga051025.gif

av-24.gif

• SRC Member
Good One.

Sometimes, these people do not think far or the rationale behind it. Anyway, the rider has to dismount to go and pay. Why not earlier b4 pumping the fuel. There must be a reason.

well, we noe we must go and pay, but now we're talking abt while refueling. :peace:

ga051025.gif

av-24.gif

• SRC Member

The petrol company's main concern for this policy is not meant for the bikers to make a fast getaway if the bike catches fire.

Wat their concern is that with the biker sitting on top of their bike, and also their slippery floors, there is a possibility that the biker might slip and fall,thus spilling the petrol, which might be a fire hazard then.

If you see some short bikers whose both feets cannot touch the ground at the same time, you'll probably get wat i mean.

:lol:

The petrol company's main concern for this policy is not meant for the bikers to make a fast getaway if the bike catches fire.

erhem :lol:

Said Ms Foo Hsu-Yi, manager, Media & Communications Shell Eastern Petroleum: 'Sometimes, motorcyclists do not understand that it's those vital few seconds that would save them when a mishap, like a fire, occurs at the pumps.

'It's possible that a fire could break out when fuel is spilt onto the hot exhaust of a motorcycle.

'If a motorcyclist is sitting on his bike, he may not be able to escape in time as compared to a rider who refuels while standing by the side of his motorcycle.'

http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/printfriendly...9,86415,00.html

• SRC Member

hahha...

if the bike catches fire....it'll most probably explode liaoz.

sit on top or stand beside it also too late liaoz.

but that was wat i overheard the pump attendant telling a biker who refuse to dismount from his bike.

haha..anyway, whether it works or not....the company's rationale is explained by their spokeswoman...

no need for us to second-guess their rationale or reason behind it anymore :D in fact if one listens to people like taxi drivers or ahpeks sitting around in kopitiams for eg, one will be able to hear many hilarious versions of the rationale behind this policy or that policy esp govt policies.... :lol:

anyway, here's another part of the article for the benefit of other motorists as well:

Around 41 per cent of the incidents involved the five most commonly flouted safety rules.

They are:

Leaving the engine on during refuelling.

Smoking within the premises of a petrol station.

Using handphones on the forecourt of a station.

Remaining straddled on the motorbike while refuelling

Buying petrol using unapproved containers.

Breaking the first two rules listed above are also against the law, said Ms Foo.

A person can be prosecuted for smoking or leaving his vehicle engine on at the petrol stations.

The penalty is a fine of up to $10,000 or a jail term not exceeding six months or both.

• SRC Member

Hi.

Used to be a biker as well. Suppose it's for safety reasons. Happened to see this before with my own 2 eyes! Biker refueled while still straddling bike...overfilled coz he must have pressed too hard on the pump and fuel gushed out of his fuel tank all over his groin and down his legs. :blink::o Must've burnt his privates man! Can imagine his discomfort and pain! :pinch:

Anyway, used to get off bike to refuel. Just tilted the bike upright and tahan with seat leaning on hip and one hand on handlebar. Bloody heavy coz bike over 1000cc but it got the job done. Bike never tilted over.

Can feel your frustration over the attendants not coming over to serve bikers but what to do?

Just my 2 cents.

Ride free! :peace:

48x30x27' Tank. Beckett Skimmer. Deltec PF600s. RM FR Pro. DE 250Wx2. DE T5 39Wx4. Tunze 7095+6000x2. Sequence DART pumps x2 (1 return+1chiller)

• SRC Member

:lol: ok at 1st when they came up with that rule, i was pissed too as it was rather hard to pump petrol standing at the side of the bike... if u were to try to hold a pump nozzle at an akward angle with your elbows bend and back tilt foward like a hunchback would not be very comfortable :erm: and the stupid nozzle seems to be pulling away from you! :eyeblur:

but then i realised that after much PRACTICE of filling up like that, it's not that hard lor.. astroboi, what bike are u riding? if it's a 2B chopper, then u might have a problem getting it more than 3/4 full but any racing bike or scrambler or road/###### bike would not be affected mah... choppers are the ones with a dreadfully low side stand and when u put the bike on the side stand, it's REALLY tilted...

bigger choppers/cruisers have the nozzle for the fuel tank at the top right hand corner of the tank... (see yamaha dragstar, most Harley models, if im not wrong the 2005 suzuki intruder as well) this way, die die the bike muz be at the side stand because if u straddle the bike, u can't top up full :P

the part abt the top of the fuel tank being rusty is not true though... as long as u top up slightly over 3/4, when u travel the petrol would be splasing everywhere so it's ok.. abt saving money.. well as least the mobil/ shell/petronas/clatex in JB don't require riders to dismount... :yeah::yeah::peace:

we are in singapore, pieces of meat to the government... no choice just have to follow la bro.. :rolleyes:

seriously, the most i've spent at a singapore petrol kiosk is $4... the least i've spent in JB is RM16 which is a full tank :lol::lol:

The world is such a wicked place,war btween the human race. People work to earn their bread,while across the sea they're counting dead

• SRC Member

Chances of fuel landing on exhaust pipe is very low. I tried throwing a litted cigarette into petrol but it does not burn. So they say hot exhaust pipe can cause fire? Which movie they watch? If you point out that biker may slip while refueling I can except but other wise don't B***S****!!!

• SRC Member

shiraz, riding a NSR SP. no lor, while refueling at a tilted angle, i cant pump full tank one, as in overshot the fuel meter. have to shake abit for the petrol to cover the whole tank. tat's wad i do in JB. JB fuel is cheap. lol. well, have to visit our neighbour more often then. The chance of bike catching fire in decades recorded, is 0.1%. i mean while refueling.

ga051025.gif

av-24.gif

• SRC Member
shiraz, riding a NSR SP. no lor, while refueling at a tilted angle, i cant pump full tank one, as in overshot the fuel meter. have to shake abit for the petrol to cover the whole tank. tat's wad i do in JB. JB fuel is cheap. lol. well, have to visit our neighbour more often then. The chance of bike catching fire in decades recorded, is 0.1%. i mean while refueling.

yap .. i totaly agree.. when the bike is tilted.. it can't be fully pump... :erm:

I used to work in petrol station so I know how dangerous it is.

Not only the hot exhaust , any split on the hot engine will cause fire also. There's once where the petrol split on the engine bay, and when the motorist trying to start the engine, the whole motor burn ...

We always believe that the petrol station will explore once it cause fire because we all watch hollywood too much. In fact, all the storage tank is store underground so no way it will burn just because the surface caught fire. The petrol is suck from the underground tank thru a pump so unless you are pumping petrol and caught fire else no way it will explore. Even so, because of lack of oxygen in the underground tank it won't burn ....

Did you see the emergency "stop" button ? This is used to cut the power supply to the pump so that the connection between the underground tank is cut.

why do a petition when this few second can save your life ?

why such a big "hu ha" for a little small thing.

• SRC Member
I used to work in petrol station so I know how dangerous it is.

Not only the hot exhaust , any split on the hot engine will cause fire also. There's once where the petrol split on the engine bay, and when the motorist trying to start the engine, the whole motor burn ...

We always believe that the petrol station will explore once it cause fire because we all watch hollywood too much. In fact, all the storage tank is store underground so no way it will burn just because the surface caught fire. The petrol is suck from the underground tank thru a pump so unless you are pumping petrol and caught fire else no way it will explore. Even so, because of lack of oxygen in the underground tank it won't burn ....

Did you see the emergency "stop" button ? This is used to cut the power supply to the pump so that the connection between the underground tank is cut.

why do a petition when this few second can save your life ?

why such a big "hu ha" for a little small thing.

not i do one la, bikers do one. come on man, we dun see bikes caught fire while refueling. somemore engine off.

ga051025.gif

av-24.gif

• SRC Member

hmmm actually petrol is rather flammable.. when it touches something hot, there is a tendency that it would catch fire... like for example, if your books are burning on your table, the heat might cause your curtains to burn as well and that heat would cause your bed to burn.. :fear::pirate:

same as this, the hot parts of your bike would ignite the pertol BUT it's impossible that the petrol touches the EXHAUST PIPE of the bike lor because the pipe is at the back of the bike and the fuel tank is in front.. even if it were to spill, your engine block, engine, carb would be hot enough to ignite the petrol.

firestream, the petition was started by one of the mods in singaporebikes.com... not astroboi.. ;)

there's a LOOOOOONG thread there abt this issue lor.. i stopped reading it until the guy said Shell actually replied to him negatively so i know bikers would never be given the benefit of the doubt to straddle and refill so what to do? live with it and continue riding!!! i mean.. reefing.. :angel:

The world is such a wicked place,war btween the human race. People work to earn their bread,while across the sea they're counting dead