Free Stuff For Young Reefer?..

jem

• SRC Member

hi there..is there anyone out there who has free equipments,tanks,test kits,sand,lights to give away?..

i just set up my 2 feet tank a week ago...now its doing beutifully..added a few common clowns to kick start the cycle when i know im suppose to use prawn or something..haha..but tempted to buy ar..so cute..now they are doin so well...just bought a bunch of sea grape for my fishes as im going to malaysia for a week ard june..now testing to see if the fish will eat them..will they?...

me only 16..no budget yet..so asking experts or retired reefers who have spare equipments wheter can pass on to me?..thanks..

-Jeremy

Jurong West

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member
hi there..is there anyone out there who has free equipments,tanks,test kits,sand,lights to give away?..

i just set up my 2 feet tank a week ago...now its doing beutifully..added a few common clowns to kick start the cycle when i know im suppose to use prawn or something..haha..but tempted to buy ar..so cute..now they are doin so well...just bought a bunch of sea grape for my fishes as im going to malaysia for a week ard june..now testing to see if the fish will eat them..will they?...

me only 16..no budget yet..so asking experts or retired reefers who have spare equipments wheter can pass on to me?..thanks..

-Jeremy

Jurong West

well, if you put in some efforts to learn, maybe we would. :D

but you are being too modest kid... your clown cost min. $1 each, my market prawn average out 60 cents max. only.

• SRC Member

be patience and think twice man. those are Live stock

i started at 16 too. but i do it slowly.

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

Genesis 1:20

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||

nobody cream u yet for your sudden impulse to go into marine..?

Hi Mark! That's because you have been missing for so long! :lol:

Nowadays people just play it safe by being Mr. and Ms Nice Guy/Gal.

Anyway, I dun think you are the rotan guy, just that I really missed those days where by you will speak your minds when you see somethings are wrong. Welcome back Mark! :D

As for Jem, if you are really serious in picking up this hobby and you dun have a budget? Get a mentor, atleast he will loan you some basic equipments and assist you with the proper husbandry. PM me if you need my help. ;)

If this is just a passing interest? Stop right now!

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

Hi Mark! That's because you have been missing for so long! :lol:

Nowadays people just play it safe by being Mr. and Ms Nice Guy/Gal.

Anyway, I dun think you are the rotan guy, just that I really missed those days where by you will speak your minds when you see somethings are wrong. Welcome back Mark! :D

As for Jem, if you are really serious in picking up this hobby and you dun have a budget? Get a mentor, atleast he will loan you some basic equipments and assist you with the proper husbandry. PM me if you need my help. ;)

If this is just a passing interest? Stop right now!

for once, I thought the nemo craze has gone..

ppl going to marine now should be into serious reefing..

checking out the stuffs, reading books, calculate finance abit before jumping in..

look like its not..

for some time was sian of the cheapos who dun do their work n ask for free stuffs.. n its like you owe it to them in previous life..

It seem like the tide never stop.. :lol:

• SRC Member

for once, I thought the nemo craze has gone..

ppl going to marine now should be into serious reefing..

checking out the stuffs, reading books, calculate finance abit before jumping in..

look like its not..

for some time was sian of the cheapos who dun do their work n ask for free stuffs.. n its like you owe it to them in previous life..

It seem like the tide never stop.. :lol:

Madagascar is coming. I wonder wat will happen????? :heh::heh:

neh..........., you cant keep a tiger anyway :upsidedown:

Plan first and do extensive reading first before going into this hobby.

Plan your budget and try not to add any LS until you are ready.

I am also 16 and I have no problems with my tank, got to eat bread and butter everyday to save cash though :lol:

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

• SRC Member

I agree with blue heaven... I did my read up on the marine hobby for well over 4years... (No money to set up one mah... Parents insist i dig my own pocket for my own hobby...)

After awhile u will, more or less, know what u r doing and roughly whats to do should do if any minor problem arises.

Anyway... WELCOME to the world of the marine hobby!!!

My Tank

Save A Horse, Ride A Cowboy

• SRC Member

haha..of course im interested..my parents agreed to "fish" out some cash for me to get all the necessary equipments..im planning to save to get another 3 ft set-up..

Btw the clowns are doing ok!!..in fact i can tell they are happy..haha..now im waiting for another month for my water to fully cycled..so far conditions in tank are acceptable..been checking the parameters..addind ph solution slowly to raise the ph lvl to acceptable condition...have also been monitoring the fish..my dad bought a doctor fish(cleaner wrasse),bannerfish,tube/fan worm and sea grapes without telling me..he didn't know that it may affect the water parameter..but anyway..i just put them in..im monitoring them closely...yups..but i think their ok lah...so far no signs of appetite loss,rapid gill movement or any other symptoms..in fact can see the banner fish feeding on the sea grapes..i tried to feed it brine shrimps but its rather hard as the clowns devour the shrimps before the banner could get them..

anyway my tank runs on a overhead filter..i don't have a sump or a skimmer...is it really important to have them?..please enlighten me more!..thanks!

• SRC Member

seem that u did abit of reading, but not enough. read more!

alrite, its better, better and better to have a skimmer running to have a healthy reef tank.

sump is advisable to have as it able to provide more water volume(so that ur tank wont crush easily when something goes wrong) and u are able to hide ur equipments into it.

overhead filter? if im you, i will change the filter wool or wash it like once or twice every 2 weeks.

and if u are using bio-sponge or bioballs in ur filter, u will find nitrate and stuck dentris problems sooner or later.

good luck man and have fun setting one up.

just shoot this forum with questions if u are in doubts.

happy reefing.

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||

• SRC Member

library have some marine setup books. Go through them, there's where i learn. ;) and no no to overhead filter. Useful only for fresh water, like luo han. Marine, u need a sump or internal over flow.

Everything's sold. Back in 2yrs time.

ga051025.gif

If it's a WRX, it gotta be STI.

av-24.gif

• SRC Member

hey thanks alot mans..i was kinda wondering wheter i should get a sump..ill go read up more on it!..ok here are some pics of my tanks..if some things u guys see don't seem right pls tell me yea!?..im setting up a 3ft in june..haha..but i plan to get a sump tank first and "steady" my 2ft first..any specific req. for a sump for a 2ft tank?

fishtank.JPG

skimmer a must lah..

look at the junk it can churn out, u wonder how u ever do w/o one..

anyway there's two school of thoughts on this.

but its a must for me..

Agree with that.

You see what my beckett can churn out and imagine leaving those in your water :sick:

you may need to change the water frequently.

Its a challenge maintaining a 2ft marine tank.

I first started two a two feet, then 3feet, now 4feet.

Water parameters is important.

For tank your size, got to monitor closely.

Any fish behave funny better take it out, if not the rest will

be more likely affected.

do reduce feeding, abt twice a day. enuff liao.

You can try those cheap air bubble skimmer if your budget is tight.

blueheaven636@hotmail.com

• SRC Member

the name is Lawrence.

at ur service :phone:

lost_law@hotmail.com

• SRC Member

thanks so much guys!! really appreciate all of your help!..im saving now to get a hybrid sump...in the mean time ill still use my overhead filter...but gotta monitor it closely like bwilly said...all my fish eating healtily up to today...no signs of disease...i don't know if my eyes are deceiving me but my live rocks seems to have red patches on it which i didn't notice when i bought it...haha..