Contraphos

bawater

• SRC Member

In marine aquariums, the optimum phosphate concentration should be kept below 0.015mg/l

A rise in phosphate levels leads to unwanted algae growth and can inhabit lime synthesis in certain specialized organisms, such as calcareous algae and stony corals. To solve these phosphate-induced problems it is recommended to keep PO4 levels always below 0.1-0.3mg/l.

There are various chemical media on the market that are made to absorb this particular nutrient, but it is what they are made of that we should be concern about when we deal with sensitive life forms such as the various corals that we keep.

Aluminum based media can have disastrous side effects if use in big quantities….or maybe even in regular usage. (Studies and experiments are still going on but the recent findings is an eye opener) and you can read about them here

Aluminum and Aluminum-based phosphate binders: Likely a Problem

I am not saying they don’t work, they do but it’s the side effects of their usage, which turned me away. When you finally manage to stock a reef tank full of your favorite corals its better to be safe then sorry.

So far, base on the results of absorption rates and safety use the iron-based (FE) media’s have come out on top. I have used Rowaphos for a while and it does what it’s suppose to do very well. No doubts about it.

But Rowaphos is not cheap, at $60 for a 500ml tub (or $20 for a 100ml bottle) its like controlling phosphate on an installment plan. My usage is pretty high and I can go through a big tub in 2-3 months. Hence in came into my life CONTRAPHOS, which at the same volume was half the price of Rowa.

So I can still continue to bomb my tank with foods but without the consequences.

Contraphos is basically the same as Rowaphos except that contra has more light colored granules, they both use the same recipe in production and are made in Germany (if you use German products or equipment before, you know the quality that these products have). It was hard getting information (in English) on Contraphos because they did not cure a lake of greenwater before so they are not very well know, what I got was in German and since I was not born in Germany or speak German it wasn’t any use to me.

contraphos_packet.JPG

I did do a search on Reef Central and it turned up some research results done in Germany on the absorption rate of FE based products against aluminum based products. All the tests were done using Contraphos and they skipped Rowaphos (because they said that it was identical to Rowaphos). That was enough for me.

contraphos_close_up_loose.JPG

Contraphos is currently only available in 500ml packets and inside (at the side) there is a media bag and instructions…. in German. Well, just follow the same usage of Rowaphos or use 1.5times Contraphos amount. I use the same amount.

contraphos_in_bag.JPG

100ml or 150ml Contraphos for 100-200L seawater

250ml or 375ml Contraphos for 250-500L seawater

500ml or 750ml Contraphos for 500-1000L seawater

1000ml or 1500ml Contraphos for 2000-4000L seawater

The lifetime of the media depends on the PO4 concentration in the tank (and don’t forget you add more and more in the foods you feed). However, regular phosphate tests will show the effectiveness of this product.

When the phosphate levels begin to rise, you know its time to change media.

Contraphos can work for several months depending on your initial phosphate levels. It doesn’t do miracles overnight, so I suggest you get a reliable phosphate test kit and test your water in the first place before running out and using another product without knowing what you want to achieve.

In my case I employ various methods and media in my filtration

I split the required amount of Contraphos into 3 bags place in different locations to maximize the efficiency of flow through rate. I also use Polyfilter pads (cut into strips) and I employ 2 skimmers along with a refugium filled with a variety of macro algae, live rock and the odd mangrove. My PO4 level hovers between 0 and 0.03mg/l and when it creeps up to 0.05mg/l, I know I need to replace the media.

contraphos_in_sump.JPGcontraphos_in_sump1.JPG

I use 1x 500ml packet to filter my 120gal (4ftx2x2) + the 30gal water in the sump…and I don’t compromise on feeding. A note to add is that you should rinse the bag/product in running water first to get rid of the dust particles which will turn the water into a rust colored, just give it a rinse or two just to wash off the dust sizes. There’s no need to wash till it’s clear otherwise you may compromise on its effectiveness (since its an absorption media). Any rust color that is in the tank will settle in about 15-20mins.

tank_right_reef.JPG

tank_left_angle.JPG

At the moment Contraphos is only available in 500ml packets as far as I know, but at $30 why would you need something smaller?

Contraphos can be found at a Paradise Reef near you.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• SRC Member
Does this stuff adsorb the same amount of phosphate per gram of its mass?

I mean, what I want to know is what is the amount of phosphate adsorbed per dollar vs. Rowa.

i can't answer the first question of per gram of its mass. that's beyond my calculations man :blink: i think its on RC, as they did a few tests in germany on various medias.

i think its in here: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.p...ight=contraphos

As for the working wise, if you maintain very low levels of PO4 in the first place (& i mean 0.01-0.05)..you should get zero readings just the same as using rowa. If your levels are above 0.1 then just the same as rowa u will need more media or more frequent changes of new media to lower levels.

I can tell u that it works twice as good as phosguard and for longer periods.

• SRC Member

thanx bawater for the insights

i've read that phospates and nitrates to some extend are actually good for clams. they need nutrients.

i've a friend who managed to keep 5 clams in a med sized tub with lots of algae all over the place. looks a little ugly but the clams are doing well man (i was surprised! :lol: I bet other corals or fishes will not tolerate that condition.

the problem is that some clams lack such nutrients in a clean system and are living on borrowed time, utilising all the stored energy till they go.

where's the balance? what's your take on this subject?

• SRC Member

if it was a clam only tank then fine....but how many of us just keep a tank with only clams? (maybe a tank of green hair algae doesn't look as bad as a tank covered in cyano)Hair algae may habour tiny microscopic animals, and release spore that may become a food source. (as depicted in algae turf scrubbers)

High Phosphate in reefs is not good for anything. Just do a search on any search engine on the www

High phosphate/nutrients in the wild leads to algae blooms e.g red tide

High nutrients from land run offs is one of the major reef killers. You can check an example of this from the outbreak of caulerpa in the Mediterranean sea choking the local coral reef.

They use phytoplankton as a food source when they are young & lack zooanthellae but once zooanthellae algae establish they become mostly self sufficient by using the sun's energy.(except the uptake of calcium & carbonate to build their shells). i still believe they will feed on phyto, just not as much.(everything that has a mouth & stomach/digestive track will feed on something won't it?)

Clean nutrient void systems (which mainly refer to SPS keepers) don't have problems with clams-mainly because of the amont of light provided (which is a major key role in sps keeping)

Our Home test kits are not really accurate for testing levels below 0.05ppm, so zero readings may not be zero after all and the clams will still have something to use.

• SRC Member
sorry tanzy but whats the price? Pr has ar? okie.. :D  nice review u got there!

Bawater, not me! <_<

I think it's about $30 or there abouts.

Contraphos compared to Seachem Phosguard and Matrix carbon.

post-14-1065876269.jpg

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Hi to all Rowaphos & Contraphos users,

I have used 1L of contraphos for abt 2mths. I find that it has exhausted as my PO4 value start to climb.

Previously, I use 500ml of rowaphos & it last me ard 3-4mths.

Need to know if anyone is experiencing this.

Does yr Contrapos last longer or shorter than rowaphos????

Wei :)

• SRC Member
Hi to all Rowaphos & Contraphos users,

I have used 1L of contraphos for abt 2mths. I find that it has exhausted as my PO4 value start to climb.

Previously, I use 500ml of rowaphos & it last me ard 3-4mths.

Need to know if anyone is experiencing this.

Does yr Contrapos last longer or shorter than rowaphos????

Wei :)

Same here ... :(

• SRC Member

Bawater is on holiday I think so it will be a while before he gets back to answering this.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

Do they still add active carbon to ContraPhos (I think I can see some on the picture posted before) ?

If yes it will explain why it is cheaper and not as powerfull as RowaPhos. After all the same volume only comes with 1/2 amount of phosphate remover.

I personally will stick to RowaPhos and RowaCarbon :yeah: !

I did ask if Rowa anf Contra were exactly the same and I was informed yes.

Upon inspection of the contents... Rowa is completely black... Contra is mixed black with brown... if they are really the same... why is this so? :huh:

• SRC Member
I did ask if Rowa anf Contra were exactly the same and I was informed yes.

Upon inspection of the contents... Rowa is completely black... Contra is mixed black with brown... if they are really the same... why is this so? :huh:

the brown looks like mud... dissolves in water....

rem rinsing alot of times as i dun feel safe bout the 'brown mud'... :huh:

anyone has some ways to verify wat sort of thing issit? :blink:

The brown muck looks like oxidised iron in clay? Thank goodness I washed it before putting it into my canister...Imagine what could have happened if I did'nt wash it... :blink:

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/