Vege food for fish

• SRC Member

Hi bro,

Can anyone share what vege food you give to your tangs and angels?

I saw some marine algae green, red and brown from Ocean nutrition in the LFS. Anyone use them? I am using the green ones and my yellow tangs loves it, just curious if anyone has tried the red and brown ones.

What other food can we give for these herbivores? Lettuce? :rolleyes:

• SRC Member
use Nori from the jap section in NTUC.....

Hi bro tineng,

I saw them in NTUC too @ Punggol Plaza but not too sure which one as I cannot read Japanese and the packaging does not say too much in English. Can help on this? Thanks. :o:thanks:

• SRC Member

I also tried those "purple" vegi, probably what Noddy described. But only my hermit take them.

I'm still looking for "green" dried seaweed. Those used for sushi skin one all got spiced or seasoned one.

Is there really got pure green dried seaweed? Mind to post a picture?

• SRC Member

get those nori sold in supermarket under jap section .. it should say roasted and its a big pack use for handroll... should cost 2.75++ per pack.

Don't get the seasoned ones...

and for veg that we eat i don't recommend it cuz it contain lots of water which doesn't help in the fishes diet...and i believe they contain a lot of nutrients which is bad...

• SRC Member
I also tried those "purple" vegi, probably what Noddy described. But only my hermit take them.

I'm still looking for "green" dried seaweed. Those used for sushi skin one all got spiced or seasoned one.

Is there really got pure green dried seaweed? Mind to post a picture?

not home at the moment or i would post a pix. been using NTUC nori for months now, tangs can't get enough :D you must check the ingredients carefully. the ones they bring in are covered with Jap words, but the ingredients are translated into english. you should see "roasted seaweed" or something like that, but without "salt, seasoning" etc etc. Can definitely find non seasoned type if you go to the larger NTUCs or Cold Storage, Giant, etc

Be teachable always, nobody has a monopoly on wisdom. But learn to distinguish "fact" from "opinion".

• SRC Member

The cheapest is those seaweeds sold in markets or chinese medical shops - 70cts for a big round piece, $2.00 for 3 pcs. My tangs and angels love them. I cut the seaweeds into reasonably small pieces (Ideal size would depend on the size of your fish and observation when you feed them). I mixed the seaweeds with garlic juice, vitamin or some other fish food. Sometimes I just sprinkle dry seaweed bits on top of the water and the fishes would simply snap them up. I tried tying the seaweeds to rocks, etc, but the amount they could eat was limited. Hence my latest way of feeding which ensures alot of veg in their diet.

• SRC Member
The cheapest is those seaweeds sold in markets or chinese medical shops - 70cts for a big round piece, $2.00 for 3 pcs. My tangs and angels love them. I cut the seaweeds into reasonably small pieces (Ideal size would depend on the size of your fish and observation when you feed them). I mixed the seaweeds with garlic juice, vitamin or some other fish food. Sometimes I just sprinkle dry seaweed bits on top of the water and the fishes would simply snap them up. I tried tying the seaweeds to rocks, etc, but the amount they could eat was limited. Hence my latest way of feeding which ensures alot of veg in their diet.

My tangs love it. :lol:

dscf00768aq.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member
I thought Ocean Formula 2 pellets would have enough "vege" materials for angels & tangs.

Is it really necessary to supplement with seaweed or other forms of fresh vegs?

Pls advise

I was thinking about that too then later I thought to myself:

No doubt cereal and milk is very nutritous and can probably use me all the energy to start the day but sometimes I will want to eat roti prata, fried bee hoon and nasi lemak too!

:lol:

BTW, I guess it is just to give a variety to them, so as not to bore them :lol::lol:

• SRC Member
Hi bro,

Can anyone share what vege food you give to your tangs and angels?

I saw some marine algae green, red and brown from Ocean nutrition in the LFS. Anyone use them? I am using the green ones and my yellow tangs loves it, just curious if anyone has tried the red and brown ones.

What other food can we give for these herbivores? Lettuce? :rolleyes:

Hi kokhui,

Using the Ocean Nutrition brown marine algae. My YT loves it, as do my percs who take the occasional nip at it and my coral beauty (wierd huh...the greedy pigs!). :D

48x30x27' Tank. Beckett Skimmer. Deltec PF600s. RM FR Pro. DE 250Wx2. DE T5 39Wx4. Tunze 7095+6000x2. Sequence DART pumps x2 (1 return+1chiller)

• SRC Member
Hi kokhui,

Using the Ocean Nutrition brown marine algae. My YT loves it, as do my percs who take the occasional nip at it and my coral beauty (wierd huh...the greedy pigs!). 

Thanks daimy086,

Yah bought the brown one and as what you said, my tangs and angels love them!

I also tried the NTUC type but they "dissolve" too fast and not too suitable.

Also tried the purple type and the small pieces float away from my clip and pvc tube too fast.

Looks like I will stick to the ocean nutrition types.

Anyone tried some live algae like red algae that I saw selling in LFS?