Mh And Actinic In Box

CalciumReef

• SRC Member
Thanks to Calciumreef for doing up my DIY light nicely...

Neat Job done... :thanks:

BlV light itself is alreadi shield from UV...

So no worries about that

keke :lol:

Never heard of DE bulbs having good UV shield, since you only have liverocks at the moment so you wont know. If you got corals then you can find out.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never Heard doesn't mean dun have...

I have checked it out from the website itself..

It says

Benefits

Attractive lighting with light colours warm white (ww), brilliant white (bw), neutral white (nw), and daylight white (dw)

• Economic due to long life

• High colour stability over the entire life

• Less fade effect on textiles and

embrittlement of plastics (UV-P)

• Average life1 6,000 hours*

• Good colour rendering and colour balance

• High light efficacy – 80 lm/W

• Hot re-ignition possible

• UV protection (UV-P) :lol::D

• Relatively indifferent to temperature changes

Dun belive check it out urself b4 making any comments..

BLV Bulb Website

• SRC Member

Actually I really do not believe a DE bulb can be sufficiently UV protected.

I have used BLV with a UV glass added to the hood. It still manages to burn my corals...especially LPS. For SPS the flourescent green effect basically means its trying to shield itself from UV burn....and it happened to my SPS frags.

And I was using 150W DE BLV with UV glass added. If you are using 250W DE BLV 10000k.....good luck. I will guarantee UV burns without an EXTRA thick UV shield.

Can check with Hon on his costly experience. But I must say BLV has good PAR but poor on SPS colouration. It just doesn't have the spectrum needed to colour SPS. But is great for SPS growth.

on the issue of DE bulbs, just wondering if we get those floodlight style casing with the DE bulbs inside, will the UV burn the corals as well from these setups???

I noticed quite a few reefers having this kind of setup as well....

• SRC Member

Some of the floodlight fixtures are meant for overhead fitting which is hang high up on the ceiling. At such height, UV is not much of a issue provided that a suitable glass diffuser is installed. As for aquarium purpose, the UV might be too strong for some sensitive corals hence the bleaching or damage.

As I said earlier on, DE without UV shield is a risk to yr corals and yrself.

• SRC Supporter
A short extract from BLV bulb manufacturor

"BLV offers metal- halide lamps with integrated UV protection (UV-P). The TOPSPOT E27/26 may be operated in fittings without cover lens because of the integrated burst protection"

The E 27/26 seems to refers to the single ended bulb....

The outer envelope glass casing does provide some UV reduction....

The DE bulb version dosen't.......

Spend some time readin previous threads.... I think there were a few incidents of corals going downhill due to their DE bulbs not being shielded.....

And I would recommend that you get the actual facts right first before proceeding..... don't need to risk your livestock..... ;)

Oh okie guys... juz called victron up to confirm again.... They say 10k bulbs dun have much UV protection.... Onli the 20K bulbs have....

So in that case.... better to add the UV tempered glass protection...

Better for my future corals and of coz to prevent water from getting into the bulb... :)

Thanks for all ur comments... Anwyway adding a tempered glass is not much of a problem... :heh:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

nice diy... :bow: but there has been advice earlier that the optimum orientation for the bulb during operation should be with the nipple on the bulb pointing upwards (ie. towards the sky away from your water surface). in this case the nipple will be facing to the side.

but to think of it mh lights are also used as building floodlights and arepointing in all sorts of directions, so there must be times when this orientation cannot be adopted...

wonder what is the effect???

• 3 months later...

Hi Kelvin (CalciumReef),

This is my compliment to you for the great works that you have done for my tank. The MH + compact lights are really superb (phase 1 of upgrading) and the installation work for my new Ehiem 1262 + protein skimmer (phase 2) are truly a piece of excellent workmanship considering the reasonable cost and the amount of work involved.

Another bravos to you is the diligence as well as honesty that you show when my MH bulb broke down due to some unforseen circumstances within a 2 months period. You have replaced it with a new one without any costs or charges. This is indeed value and good services for money spent.

On top of this, I am really amazed by the knowledge and expertise that you have shown in this marine stuff . Must give you the due credit for giving my tank a brand new look after keeping a simple FOWLR tank for almost coming to the past 2 years. I am really happy to engage yr services in SRC for the great works done since early May 04.

Will count on yr support in the future should I need to upgrade to a bigger tank after this major upgrading.

Glad to know you as a new friend & supplier in this marine fish hobby.

All My Best Wishes !

:thanks:

KC Tan (Marine_Tank)