Marine salt

fisher

I started with Coralife (free gift that come together with my tank) and it will be the last option that i will use. It is so damn difficult to dissolve them! I have to keep stirring and after much effort, there will still be some residue that sink at the bottom after a while. As for the content comparison wise, i will leave it to some expert to comment.. But so far the feedback that i gather lean towards instant ocean and Tropic Marin. Seem to contain a optimal list of trace elements/minerals.

• SRC Member

I've used Instant O, Reef crystals, Coraldeath and Tropic before. Not much difference in the tank only the dissolvability is different. Maybe because I don't change water very much, at the most three times a year. Using Tropic Marin now.

Coraldeath gives you a nice T-shirt and a bucket. B)

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

Ya, I've heard lotsa bad stuff about Red Sea salt. I think it's because it's dehydrated sea salt and some of the ions have precipitated out as insoluble salts. Other brands are chemically constituted salts where the mixture contains only soluble salts.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member
I've used Instant O, Reef crystals, Coraldeath and Tropic before. Not much difference in the tank only the dissolvability is different. Maybe because I don't change water very much, at the most three times a year. Using Tropic Marin now.

Coraldeath gives you a nice T-shirt and a bucket.

The T-shirt is to replace the one that you rip to bits in frustration at seeing your tank crash and the bucket is to put all the dead slimy bits of animals to be sent to the rubbish dump.

Kwang's salt is rather old don't u think? Downtown East (Superstar) has newer stuff but might be more pricey. But they can't keep marine tanks (all their CLOWNFISH are sick)

• SRC Member

red sea hard to dissolve! meeee toooooo

thought it was me only getting the cloudy water- i only used it twice when i ran out of salt & an emergency purchase from my walking distance LFS (K&K@Tampines)- its crap & expensive salt.

err...i have always used coralife leh(went KL & got nothin to buy so bought 4kg hmmm......or was it 8kg??) otherwise i buy from pac marine if they got it. dissolves ok if u leave overnite with an airpump or powerhead in it.It is a little lacking in elements so I dose with some basic elements 1 hour before water change(same time i chill water with ice to abt 23/24c) its economical for a monthly water change.

• SRC Member

I don't take much note on marine salt. Been using Coralife all these while and I don't get problem with them. I like the t-shirt thou, bright colour and fit me well. :lol:

After wearing sometime, it become my delicated aquarium rug :blink:

Redsea salt is value for money since they are more salty than the other brand of salt. You need lesser amount to get the same salinity.

I don't understand why you have problem dissolving these 2 brand of salt.

If your salt is fresh, as in they are smooth and powdery like "Johnson baby powder", they are so easily dissolved when mixed.

But if your salt lumps into big or small pieces of rock like structure, due to contact with atmoshperic moisture, you have a hard time dissolving them.

FYI, any salt mix that comes in contact with moisture in the air will start to lump up and form "rock-salt". Those are really hard to dissolve. :ph34r:

I've used CoraLife (dun really like it...felt that corals did better using TM), Tropic Marin (not too bad but decided to hop to BioSal...Alice's reccomendation...)b4....and now...BioSal.

BioSal is not too bad....fishes n corals seem to do well....could be because I used this brand after I upgraded my tank's size.

* BioSal has a slight cloudy look when fresh SW is made. This lasts for like a couple of minutes only.

I'm gonna break the cycle

I'm gonna shake up the system

I'm gonna destroy my ego

I'm gonna close my body now

• SRC Member

so far.... coralife is my best choice..... not because the quality but at least it is cheap...... i know i will get flame for saying this but come on, 6.6kg for $18!!!! last me for less than 2 months.... if i were to use other brand.... which is around $30++..... i would have broke.... some might ask why would i use so much salt??? answer is nitrate.... for my fish only tank, not much problem, but my reeftank, in terms to maintain nitrate beow 5ppm, i need to change 10% of water (1 gallon) every 3 days.... so 1 month 1 will need to change around 10 gallon of water (around 3.5kg of salt mix).....

• SRC Member

Water change every 3 days! You must be real fit or disciplined to do that! I'll stick to 3 months.

Found the comparison link at last! The Composition Of Several Synthetic Seawater Mixes . Now everyone can look at the data and come to their own conclusion.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

I used Corallife, redsea, Kent, IO and marinemix over the last 4 years.

The only time you have problems dissolving the salt is when its old and has lumps. You'll get calcium precipitation. IO is notorious probably because the stocks they bring in are old.

Redsea for me is okay as well as Kent no problem with my corals

• SRC Member
Water change every 3 days! You must be real fit or disciplined to do that! I'll stick to 3 months.

Found the comparison link at last! The Composition Of Several Synthetic Seawater Mixes . Now everyone can look at the data and come to their own conclusion.

well.... no choice.... most of my coral are pretty hardy.... before i bought my nitrate tester.... my nitrate level shot up to 80ppm level (during the very first test) my shrimps died..... but my coral is fine..... unless i find what is the contribution of the high nitrate level, or else, i have to stick to the frequent water changing methods.... :(