racism? what do you think?

loster

• SRC Member

are s'porean racism? hmmm...

i am chinese and i grew up with chinese, malay, indian, eurasian friends. in fact i have many good friends are malay. most of the time i find it hard to see them as different races, i see them as fellow singaporean. in fact, after i had my experienced in other country (the REAL racism. not the normal remark type that we always make fun of since young in school to our other race friend), i treasure and appreciate what our government have done all these years to bring us together regardless of race and religion. and to live in harmony together despite of our differences in our language, culture and tradition.

in fact, you look at other countries around, the racism is always real. you are treated as 2nd or 3rd class citizen just becasue of your skin colour, different background, culture and language. it is real out there and i am not talking about 3rd world countries. i am also talking about developed and well civilize countries.

the real world is real out there. sometime we are so confide in this small island and well protect. moreover, we find it hard to imagine and understand what is the racism mean :P

you may share your experience what is racism mean to you :) i guess may be we are able share this experiences when we travel a lot to other country. you may have seem it or experienced it yourself.

please be sensitive on your commend here and also be sensitive to our international friends in overseas who read this thread :) be thoughtful to others :) and be responsible of what you say here :)

anyway, relax and have fun. today is friday. weekend is near to our door :P

age.png

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

well,I lived in Jakarta for 4.5 yrs but have never come across any problem about racism BUT living 2 yrs in Germany showed me what it means.

Here is my experience,

We were in Germany when our daughter was only 2 yrs old. We were living in our own apartment on the 12th floor.Above was a very racist German family and they would stomp on their floor anytime to show us their dissatisfactory with us.They claimed our daughter runs around and that caused their floor to tremor (mind you,they live a floor above us,even if my child is running,she is definitely not running on our ceiling to cause the tremor according to them)..they insisted the noise came from us even the family next to us held a party...when we happened to cook curry....they complained we are causing smell....they can even stomp and complain for every little bit of things unreasonably.

Thats one incident.Next one,when I went supermarket wanting to buy some meat.The butcher asked to show him I have enough money to pay before attending to me.The cashier would deliberately push my items to the side to allow their fellow people to pay first.....

Next,when we were enrolling our child into a so called INTERNATIONAL playgroup so I can attend German classes.After a long 2 weeks of waiting,my husband called in to check about the status,were told that when they stated INTERNATIONAL school,they mean pure WHITE kids like American....British....Canadian....etc.

At the airport,My daughter and I were told to go Q at the non EU lane even we have German PR status.

One most ridiculos case was, our child was playing in the playground in the beer garden.2 German kids came along and they poured a whole bucket of sand over my daughter's head and told her to get lost just cos she is not pure German! I questioned the kids and pulled them to their parents.To my horror,their parent think the same way too.

My father in law too is racist.He was so against our marriage as he was very convinced that asian people are out for their nationality and money.When our child was borned.He even forbids me to speak chinese or even English with her cos he only wants her to speak German.And insisted that my husband apply German citizenship for my daughter so he can throw me out of the country without my daughter.

Phew...finally a thread for me to vent all my unhappiness regarding about racism.

Hope I m not provoking anyone with my posting.

• SRC Member

Can I rate this thread as M18. ( Just my point of view , I know I got no right to give rating :)

For those matured.

Otherwise I can see flame going on. going on and going on.

Well I belong to miniority group in Singapore. For those ppl known me.

However, I feel a lot better compared to other countries.

Life is like a peice of Uncured Live Rock [ from LFS ], you never know what you gonna get.........

Ocean Gump

• SRC Member
Well I belong to miniority group in Singapore. For those ppl known me.

However, I feel a lot better compared to other countries.

Bro, you belong to the minority meh? I tot you were chinese!.. Err, at least you looked like one.. haha..

• SRC Member

Jaslyn, i understand the feeling. and i know it is not easy for you and your daughter for being treated that way. it is even harder to teach and explain to your girl why she were being treated this way :huh:

after all the travels, i always feel so much at home when my plane landed on our pride - changi airport :)

age.png

• SRC Member
after all the travels, i always feel so much at home when my plane landed on our pride - changi airport :)

I agree.One trip to Germany onboard a plane full of passenger from vietnam.The plane did not park at where it was supposed to be but all passengers were told to Q up for passport inspection.When the officer saw the singapore logo on our bright red passport,they let us pass without even checking.I had that sense of PROUDNESS during that time.

• SRC Member
To experience racism, you will need to belong in the minority race. Its true anywhere in the world including SG. Its just the way it works. :)

i guess in the sense, it is true but not all.

what i see is superior race over less superior race. which mean, i see my own race is more superior than your race. this apply to not just on different in skin colour. it also appys on different ethic group. if not then we will not have rwanda civil war in 1994. and this is always the problem. since the begining of our civilization, we already have this problem or racisim.

we are made in such a way that human need each other and help each other. if we continue to live on our own selfish way and selfish ambitious, i just wonder, how long our world will last?

age.png

• SRC Member
we are made in such a way that human need each other and help each other. if we continue to live on our own selfish way and selfish ambitious, i just wonder, how long our world will last?

eerrr....can I say this is how and why we have the word "WAR" in the dictionary?

• SRC Member

ALIENS!! I first came across this word when we were filling up some forms in America about a decade ago...I guess every country has their own way to announce non citizens.

My personal experience tells me that I have no problems living in the USA.Maybe its different to judge in the position of a tourist or a resident.

• SRC Member

Err.. Just FYI, most countries put Citizens and Aliens..

Japan immigration also have two sections, citizens and aliens.

As for racism, Japan is quite racist against koreans and china people..

However, If you speak American english well, thats a different thing. They will look up to you.

• SRC Member

same things goes to our Jurong Birdpark lor...

The cafe at flamingo lodge.A chinese family were in front of us asking for a table of 4 in the aircon place.The waitress told her its fully booked even there were vacant seats inside.I thought those were reserved for tour groups...then when we asked them for 5 seats inside,they actually brought us to a table near to the window with nice view.

I cant explain the treatment.You tell me.

• SRC Member

Sometimes, its the homeland people's mind set that needs to be changed, else we can throw out of the window the present push for ' service '. Does it mean that ' service ' is only extended to foreigners? Does it mean they will pay more or give more tips? It can be seen everywhere even in the office the behaviour of our own countrymen. The way they speak ( tone and body language ) is way different between the local singaporeans and the expats. Really sad. But I always tell myself, this guy must still have in him the carried on genes of his fore fathers. Genes of being colonised.

• SRC Member

Ang Mo thinks Ang Mo is better Chinese (ie Jaslyn's case in Germany) = bo pian

Chinese thinks Ang Mo is better (many cases in restaurants) = imperialism??

I have no issue with people with cross-cultural marriages, that's a result of love. But really can't stand some examples like.....restaurant says no shorts and T-shirts allowed and can see Ang Mo in bermudas eating away.

I think (marine) therefore I am

• SRC Member

Imperialism or being colonised means the same. The olden days Ang Mo really did a good job of putting across " I am the superior breed " deep right into the genes. Hands down to them I must say.

But I must also say...the Ang Mo are really good at " wayang ". Meaning acting. They can really sweet talk and nearly turn white into black. As for the locals...we are more direct and more often than not results in getting into trouble.

As for skills level.....I can tell you this much: Not all are good, some are so bad that one wonders how the hell they got into the job. I am saying this as my job requires a certain level of skills in respect to hands/legs/eyes coordiantions during critical phases.

• SRC Member
Imperialism or being colonised means the same. The olden days Ang Mo really did a good job of putting across " I am the superior breed " deep right into the genes. Hands down to them I must say.

But I must also say...the Ang Mo are really good at " wayang ". Meaning acting. They can really sweet talk and nearly turn white into black. As for the locals...we are more direct and more often than not results in getting into trouble.

As for skills level.....I can tell you this much: Not all are good, some are so bad that one wonders how the hell they got into the job. I am saying this as my job requires a certain level of skills in respect to hands/legs/eyes coordiantions during critical phases.

Well said. Couldn't agree more.

WS ~ grounded again? That's not too good.

dogdogsrd20060608_18_Elric%20is%20.png

bunbunsdb20071225_-8_Elroi%20is.png

webster1973%20player%20555.png

• SRC Member

I used to have 2 Ang Mo under my charge and I was their reporting officer. Both did a good enough job as like the other locals. However, their pay is even more than mine cos they are employed under expat terms with housing and other allowance. Sigh...

So, is discrimination the greatest form of racism?

I think (marine) therefore I am

• SRC Member
I used to have 2 Ang Mo under my charge and I was their reporting officer.  Both did a good enough job as like the other locals.  However, their pay is even more than mine cos they are employed under expat terms with housing and other allowance.  Sigh...

So, is discrimination the greatest form of racism?

Well, you don't have to Ang Mo to get expats pay. I know of pple whom are local but they migrated overseas and got send back by their parent company to head the AP section. :P:P

Anyway, it’s a fine line between discrimination and racism? One can't really tell them apart. Maybe someone whom is more knowledgable would like to draw the line. At least I know, I wouldn't be the one. :ph34r::ph34r:

dogdogsrd20060608_18_Elric%20is%20.png

bunbunsdb20071225_-8_Elroi%20is.png

webster1973%20player%20555.png