racism? what do you think?

loster

• SRC Member

for me, i travel a lot to china past 2-3 years. i traveled to many parts of china and i still have not complete it all (wonder when :unsure: )

for tibet, racism is there but not as strong as in xinjiang. we have a good uygur driver who drove us around at the southen part of xinjiang. we stop over for lunch at one of the small eating house. at first our uygur drive didn't want to sit with us for the meal. anyway, we managed to get him to sit with us to have our meal together. we were so earger to learn uygur language and our driver taught us a few words... we have fun and have much laughter. across the table, one of the big size han chinese shouted at us and scolded us and said, "why are you chinese RELATE and eat at the same table with dirty uygur?" we were shocked. not so much of he shouted at us... was shock at the statement that he made. our uygur driver kept very quiet.

one of my friend shouted back and said, "we are singaporean". the chinese man shouted angrily and said, "singapore is also china". we were very shock to hear that. our driver told us to keep quiet and don't say anymore because so many people (chinese) were looking at us. so, we just ate our meal quietly. however, this chinese man couldn't stand it anymore and he just left his table without even finish his meal. poor man :erm:

we met a few uygur and they bought us to their uygur market because i was looking for silk... those place where they sell life, horse, camal, sheep, cow, goat and lamb, beeautiful carpet and silk material. on our way there, so many chinese people were lookming at us. the way they look at us was like, we did something wrong. after a while, i began to understand why was there a "look". becasue we were walking and talking with our uygur friends.

on the street, there are no interaction between chinese and uygur. chinese don't stay at the same district with the uygur. u can tell the different. on the other side of the street, you see all chinese hourse... across the other street, you will see uygur houses. i was told by our friend that uygur hate han chinese and chinese think they are more superior than the uygur.

not just the different race problem. even in other part of china, the same skin colour also have their problem. i have a lot of non-han chinese friends in all over china. but they were chinese and without them telling me that they are non-han, i can't even tell the different. they speak the same language and their culture almost like han. and the only different is their ID. once the official look at their ID, they were treated differently.

so, if we value each other and respect each other and help each other as a fellow human being, i guess the world won't have so much problem :lol:

age.png

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

aiyo... not all ang mo are smart lah... :P some thing i really can't stand the way they work. don't know why our local like to look up at them so much and like to "copy" them. can't we have our own style? why copy them? they are still the same like us, a human being.

although, we bought up in different background and different culture and no way we can speak like them. one of my han chinese friend said to me that she thought singaporean speak english and why can't i speak like ang mo?" "my goodness" i said. " i am sinagporean chinese and i like to speak english my style. as long as i speak it right, why should i copy the ang-mo way of speaking?" doesn't sound and look real lah :P hahaha... she have a hard time trying to understand me.

anyway, i have a very good ang-mo friend here also. so not all ang-mo are like that. they are just the same like us :P

age.png

• SRC Member

we met a few uygur and they bought us to their uygur market because i was looking for silk... those place where they sell life, horse, camal, sheep, cow, goat and lamb, beeautiful

Shock me for a moment there.

so, if we value each other and respect each other and help each other as a fellow human being, i guess the world won't have so much problem

I hope I can live to see this happen.

dogdogsrd20060608_18_Elric%20is%20.png

bunbunsdb20071225_-8_Elroi%20is.png

webster1973%20player%20555.png

• SRC Member

The Ang Mo are not the issue. My Ang Mo friends are really nice and fun. It's those Chinese who 'worship' Ang Mo that I don't understand. Even in China, they think that only Ang Mo can speak and teach English well. They want to look for 'Caucasian native speaker of the language'. That's why some many Chinese try to fake an accent even though if they were not brought up in America or UK. Incidently, Ang Mo find it more unbearable when we try to fake their accent then we speak our usual clear English.

Some people have American, British and Aussie accent all 'rojak'!

I think (marine) therefore I am

• SRC Member
we met a few uygur and they bought us to their uygur market because i was looking for silk... those place where they sell life, horse, camal, sheep, cow, goat and lamb, beeautiful

Shock me for a moment there.

so, if we value each other and respect each other and help each other as a fellow human being, i guess the world won't have so much problem

I hope I can live to see this happen.

one life horse cost between RMB2000-4000 depending on age and gender :P for camel is much more expensive... i think about RMB 5000 and above.

it is not a joke if your ride a horse for 3 hours non-stop... (for those non-regular rider like me)... i can't even walk purposely for a day :lol::lol::lol:

age.png

• SRC Member
:off: loster, will like to know more about the inner western parts of China like XinJiang etc as I am looking forward to travel there and have at look at the culture. Maybe one of these days when meet you at LFS, have to seek you out and find out more details and contacts.

• SRC Member
:off: loster, will like to know more about the inner western parts of China like XinJiang etc as I am looking forward to travel there and have at look at the culture. Maybe one of these days when meet you at LFS, have to seek you out and find out more details and contacts.

no problem... i am glad to share my experiences on those places. and can save you a lot of $$$ also. i go as a bagpacker type. so, stay at the safe but cheap inn. those two places (tibet and xinjiang) must go in your life time. there are so much rich in their culture and so much of different world view. it is an eye opener :P

sorry :off:

age.png

As they saying goes..if you can't beat them, join them. Since they are racist towards you, you have all the right to be racist against them. Just wear a T-shirt bearing the words "Nazis are retards". If they continue being racist to you, what does it imply? :lol:

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member

Most Ang Mo's english are not really that good if one is to consider the english language itself - i am talking about the average Ang Mo in their native country, it is just that they have that perculiar accent that somehow impresses foreigners and that accented english became the English foreigners are impressed with - original English.

When me and wife domicile in England many years back - she taught the Ang Mo English :P:lol:

But i must say, speaking English with some of the accent does give it the flavour, for instance the Chinese's chinese does sound better and original (as it is meant to be spoken that way) so is Nihon-jin's Japanese etc. Different city's English back in the UK are interesting as the English accent varies eg, Welsh, Liverpool, Blackpool, London, Peak District areas, Scotts all very flavourful but the original accent as in London's accent (British) tends to criticise the rest.

SO, i do feel that although we do not need to speak like the heavily accented English (British, the American's English are crap), but we do need to speak English properly so that it will sound like "English" per say.

Guten tag Jaslyn - understand your experience of racism, just to share, my Chinese friend (classmate) who stayed back in UK lost his newly procured car. He lodged a report to the "scotland yard" and his car was later found in the river :lol:

But in a word of fairness, usually the outskirts as in the rural people are much nicer people compared to the city people - and the city, most of the people who are not that nice comprises of 2 types; the less educated and the people who think they are superior. The former feels this way because of migrants moving to their land took opportunities aplenty away from them, just as the now SG we are experiencing, but Singaporeans are more tolerant of the bangledeshi, china people, expats etc. but it will reach a stage when Singaporeans will give that racist back to the foreigners eg. many employer feels that for the same Sing dollar they would rather employ eg Malaysian than the locals even for managerial levels.

I do not feel racism as much as my counterparts did but do however experienced graciousness not even seen in my fellow SG.

My Beautiful ANGEL - Matsushima Nanako

Equipment List for 4x2x2 Tank & 3x1.5x1.5 Sump

Hagen 802 x 2, Tunze 6060, Arcadia T5 (54W x 8), Eheim 1260 (return) Eheim 1250 (Chiller), Aquabee 300 x 2 (Feed)

H&S 150-F2001 (850l Skimmer), H&S A110-F2000 (400l Skimmer), H&S 110-F1000 (1000l Sulphur/Nitrate Filter), H&S 150-F2000IA (800l Calcium Reactor)

Coralife 3X (UV Steriliser), I-Aquatic IF 312 (Fluidised Reactor), Kent Kalk Delivery, Resun CL650, Pinpoint ORP & PH Meters & Wireless Thermometer

4x2x2 Tank Thread

• SRC Member
But in a word of fairness, usually the outskirts as in the rural people are much nicer people compared to the city people - and the city, most of the people who are not that nice comprises of 2 types; the less educated and the people who think they are superior. The former feels this way because of migrants moving to their land took opportunities aplenty away from them, just as the now SG we are experiencing, but Singaporeans are more tolerant of the bangledeshi, china people, expats etc. but it will reach a stage when Singaporeans will give that racist back to the foreigners eg. many employer feels that for the same Sing dollar they would rather employ eg Malaysian than the locals even for managerial levels.

I do not feel racism as much as my counterparts did but do however experienced graciousness not even seen in my fellow SG.

although I experienced lots racism in Germany.I have to agree with what you say.Yes the people in the city are more racist than those living in the country area.Its ironic as usually people living in the city area are those who exposed to foreigners more.And if I have to mention this,they can easily accepted the African black than the asian.I cant explain this.

To me,human are human.Regardless the colour and the gender

• SRC Member

racism will always be present. racial stereotypes will always be unknowingly passed down from parent to child. the goevrnment always plays on people's fears of racial riots that make us feel scared or afraid to voice our racism loudly. instead of going out and understand different races, we are confined within our own comfort zone, criticising other races secretly in the comfort of our abodes.

• SRC Member

Aiyah even in singapore I am experiencing the same thing. I am a malay chinese (mixed blood or rojak i call it) I got to this particular lfs with a chinese friend of mine. Nobody attend to me at all. As for my friend you guys get the picture. When ask for the price. They just say and walk away dun ask whether I want to buy or not.

The other incident was during my previous job. A malaysian indian just came in. My manager is a chinese (a very kind hearted and flexible person). This indian man told me that he hated chinese and never like them, then I told him off, if one day you are in trouble a chinese man come and help you want would you do? Still hate chinese people?

A few of my friend also said the same thing. Chinese is Chinese Malay is Malay cannot mix! Verse like this really pissed me off. Tell them off but their mind set is still the same. Idiots I must say.

But what to do different people have different ways of looking at things. As for me the attitude of being a racist have never cross my mind before and I think that it never will.

• SRC Member

The government leads the way yet again.

Pls count how many malays or for that fact, muslims, who are in the Air Force or Navy?

Army-wise, pls count the number in Artillery/Armour/Combat Engineers/Commandos and then compare it to the number of Malays in the Infantry.

I dunt think there is any other reason apart from race/religion. Cheers!

Before you talk about that... look at the biggest picture, there are certain reasons.

What is the ratio of chinese to Indians and Malays and other races?

If you talk about the low numbers of Malays and Indian in the Arm forces then what about the Eurasian? Even more rare??

In the navy there is a particular reasons why you have almost zero malays, that is because they have special requirement for their food, you certainly can't cater a muslim kitchen and muslin cook just for the muslims on-board the ship. In this case better to exclude them on ship postings.

You do see quite a lot of Indians in the Navy if you're not aware. This is again taking into account the ratio of Chinese vs Indians.

Regulars make up bigger part of the Navy and Air force as well, you go ask how many Malays or Indians are willing to sign-on?

• SRC Member

No discrimination to anyone in particular but if you ask me why there are few malays in the Airforce and especially those flying fighters, the reason is very clear. Our neighbours are muslim countries and the 'garment' does not want to compromise if a war really breaks out and they need the fighter to protect the air space. In the air, one can have only that limited number of fighters at one time and a compromise is out of the question as 1 fighter=1 pilot in control whereas on land, the deployment is in the region of thousands and quite difficult to create a situation of compromise as command can be easily override.

• SRC Member
Before you talk about that... look at the biggest picture, there are certain reasons.

What is the ratio of chinese to Indians and Malays and other races?

If you talk about the low numbers of Malays and Indian in the Arm forces then what about the Eurasian? Even more rare??

In the navy there is a particular reasons why you have almost zero malays, that is because they have special requirement for their food, you certainly can't cater a muslim kitchen and muslin cook just for the muslims on-board the ship. In this case better to exclude them on ship postings.

You do see quite a lot of Indians in the Navy if you're not aware. This is again taking into account the ratio of Chinese vs Indians.

Regulars make up bigger part of the Navy and Air force as well, you go ask how many Malays or Indians are willing to sign-on?

Ratio is 4:1?

In the air-force, there is 0 to a max of 2 Malays/muslim and a few thousand chinese. Same as for the Navy.

Im not talking about pilots/on-board personnel, Im talking about ground staff/techs/admins

How about the Army? Apart from infantry, Armour/Artillery/Commandoes/Combat Engineers have 0 muslims and its stock-full of NSFs.

• SRC Member

Thats why deployment in critical combat units will have less Malays. At the end of the day, its just that the 'garment' does not want a compromise in the event of any outbreak, be it in the Airofrce, Army or Navy. Agreed with Alfa and thats why one see so many Malays in the Police Force as they are considered less critical units.

On the other hand, to think in the 'garment' side, it is quite difficult to test/guage one's patriotism especially where the Musilm brothers strong bond to its religion. Muslim brother please do not flame me for saying out loud. Which religion is able to conviince its followers to die for the cause of its teachings? 'Peace :peace:

• SRC Member
Thats why deployment in critical combat units will have less Malays. At the end of the day, its just that the 'garment' does not want a compromise in the event of any outbreak, be it in the Airofrce, Army or Navy. Agreed with Alfa and thats why one see so many Malays in the Police Force as they are considered less critical units.

On the other hand, to think in the 'garment' side, it is quite difficult to test/guage one's patriotism especially where the Musilm brothers strong bond to its religion. Muslim brother please do not flame me for saying out loud. Which religion is able to conviince its followers to die for the cause of its teachings? 'Peace :peace:

Bro, wont kena flame lah. Very civil discussion without name calling etc etc mah. Facts are facts. We are right smack in the middle of a sea of muslim countries anyway so its better for the garment to be more conservative when it comes to defense. :)

Ratio is 4:1?

In the air-force, there is 0 to a max of 2 Malays/muslim and a few thousand chinese. Same as for the Navy.

Im not talking about pilots/on-board personnel, Im talking about ground staff/techs/admins

How about the Army? Apart from infantry, Armour/Artillery/Commandoes/Combat Engineers have 0 muslims and its stock-full of NSFs.

Like I said, the Navy and air forice is made up so 90% for more regulars.

How many Malays are willing to sign-on as regulars?

If you work in the navy before you will know how many Indians there are in the navy. I already explain the reasons why no Muslims are posted onboard ships as the space is limited there and not possible to have two separate galley (Naval Term for Kitchen).

I bet with you out of 10 naval service man onboard ship you get more than 3 Indians :P So I don't see how racist can come into play???

By ethical population ratio in the year 2000 we have chinese with 76.8%, Malay 13.9% and Indian 7.9%, the rest 1.4%

Taken off this site.

http://www.singstat.gov.sg/keystats/c2000/indicators.pdf

It's not so much about racist like what weisoon has explained.

• SRC Member

Like I said, the Navy and air forice is made up so 90% for more regulars.

How many Malays are willing to sign-on as regulars?

If you work in the navy before you will know how many Indians there are in the navy. I already explain the reasons why no Muslims are posted onboard ships as the space is limited there and not possible to have two separate galley (Naval Term for Kitchen).

I bet with you out of 10 naval service man onboard ship you get more than 3 Indians :P So I don't see how racist can come into play???

By ethical population ratio in the year 2000 we have chinese with 76.8%, Malay 13.9% and Indian 7.9%, the rest 1.4%

Taken off this site.

http://www.singstat.gov.sg/keystats/c2000/indicators.pdf

It's not so much about racist like what weisoon has explained.

Yup. I already agreed with Weisoon's reasoning before this post. Cheers! :)