hongqixian

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

coral life is ok, nice and cheap.

most ppl uses this brand.

I only change my water when nitrate level is over 120ppm.

ammonia and nitrite is not a problem in my tank. remain 0ppm even when I previously have no LR! and with a large magnificent anemone and some fishes.

I'm using Marine Environment Coral Marine now as it really dissolves very well with water. pH is maintained at 8.3 - 8.4. I'm impressed so far with the quality of this brand.

Used to switch between Instant Ocean and CoralLife for the last three years. My observation --> Instant Ocean: Very good but water appears a bit cloudy after water change but it does not affect LS. Cloudiness clears up after 1 or 2 days. CoralLife: the salt is coarser than IO but quite ok, CHEAP and safe for FOWLR tank. Plus you get a pail and Coralife T-shirt for free if you buy the larger package :P

Heard that Tropic Marine is very good but too bad, its too expensive in comparison to competing ones.

• SRC Member

around 29 dollars (50 gallons/6.8kg).

that means its same price as Tropic marin, like that nxt time i buy Marine Environment, pet mart got sell ?

SBS_Transit

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

It seems like most of the salt here is evaluated based on the soluability. For example, good salt means mix well and clear faster, and bad salt means the reverse.

Other than this, is there another way to measure the good and bad of salt mix?

The reason I ask is that I'm planning to setup a new 5x3x2.5 tank, and the water will add up to be about 1 ton. This will be around 260gal of water. Meaning I have to add about 40kg of salt mix. I think that will mean 6-7 bags of 50gal salt mix.

I realized that Kent salt is selling at S**L*** at about $28 and you can get Coralife at P**M*** for $20.

That's a difference of about 30-40% in price. The question is, is the salt quality of kent so much better that it justifies for the 30% difference? Or is it a simple reaon that the salt are equal in quality but SL is selling more expensive then PM?

I'm not trying to discrimate the different LFS here, but just want to make a intelligent decision before I go buy the salt.

Thanks,

Patrick

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Member

Have used both coralife and coral marine .. But rather happy with the coralife cos it dissolve faster and left no residue as compared to coral marine...

Have used the coralife for months before i discover a packet of trace minerals and vitamins 15cc !

Anyone have use it before ? Cos it say i packet of it for a bag of coralife salt.

No instructions given... How to mix ?

• SRC Member
It seems like most of the salt here is evaluated based on the soluability. For example, good salt means mix well and clear faster, and bad salt means the reverse.

Other than this, is there another way to measure the good and bad of salt mix?

The reason I ask is that I'm planning to setup a new 5x3x2.5 tank, and the water will add up to be about 1 ton. This will be around 260gal of water. Meaning I have to add about 40kg of salt mix. I think that will mean 6-7 bags of 50gal salt mix.

I realized that Kent salt is selling at S**L*** at about $28 and you can get Coralife at P**M*** for $20.

That's a difference of about 30-40% in price. The question is, is the salt quality of kent so much better that it justifies for the 30% difference? Or is it a simple reaon that the salt are equal in quality but SL is selling more expensive then PM?

I'm not trying to discrimate the different LFS here, but just want to make a intelligent decision before I go buy the salt.

Thanks,

Patrick

you cant compare salt just base on pricing..

if not how u going to say some salt selling at 30-40 plus while some at just 10 plus...

so far if u r talking about kent salt along, SeaLife selling the cheapest for kent salt.

and if u r talking about corallife salt then PM sell the cheapest... both salt r diff but price not more then 10 dollars diff... it's up to you which salt u prefer.

I think they mistaken CoralMarine ($29) and MarineEnvironment ($35~$39). Both brands are from the same manufacturer. ;)

I think I can get ME at $14 and CM at $10... If it is the one selling at ML....(ML not selling at the price).... I need to check the price again...

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

• SRC Member

IMO, dont use salt! use natural seawater! :off:

IMO, i think ME is still good as any other brand though the price is quite steep but guys, i dont change water everyday! lolx.. more likely to change like once a month? <_< and the water parameters still constant more or less.. lolx.. :) Seriously it depends more on the type of things you keep in your tank that will force you to change water. Dont change water unnecessarily unless you have like a 2ft filled of sps or a hell lots of lps then you can start considering doing water changes or your tank is overflowing with anthias, tangs etc. then I SERIOUSLY urge you to change the water once a week or else keeping small fishes and lightly stocked corals dont require monthly water change.. thats my opinion..

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I never understood why people rate a good salt, cause it mix easy.

So what if it mix easy? Does it make it good?

Salt should be good if it gives ya good trace elements, calcium levels, PH, and buffer, and be out of the bad "guys" phosphate , nitrates etc.

I use Seachem reef salt, it gives 23.7 Kg to make 600 liters at 1.022 while most other brands gives ya only 20.00 Kg for the same.

No need to think much, the Seachem will not dissolve as fast as most other brands.

But for obvious reasons.

For the Red Sea salt, I saw somebody posting earlier that it made only outta sea water.

It is impossible.

What Red Sea Fish Pharm are doing, is taking dried salt from dehydrated Red Sea water, then adding their own mixture to it.

If one was able to make a salt mix out of sea water only, I dont think there were so many synthetic sea salt companies......sea water is FREE.

• SRC Member

started my tank with Meersalz from Aquamedic. bought the 20 kg X 2 mixed with DI water. Calcium, alkalinity and salinity is almost as per requirement and don't need to add any additives.

Am happy with it and no complains. Dissolves quite well too with no residues.