Water circulation Reef tank

cyclop

• SRC Member

I need advice on how to maximise the water circulation in my

L-2ft x W- 2ft x Ht - 2.5 ft reef tank.

I have no problems with another FOWLR tank, but, somehow, the reef tank does not seem right. The fishes are ok, but even mushrooms do not seem to thrive well. I have a feeling that it could due to it's depth.

• SRC Member

Use a return pump that will turn over the water in your tank 10 times per hour. Your tank is roughly 250 litres so use a pump with at least 2500L/hour capacity.

How many powerheads are you using? If not two, try two...Rio seems pretty good!

Real reefs don't have glass bottoms....(...think about it)

• SRC Member
I need advice on how to maximise the water circulation in my

L-2ft x W- 2ft x Ht - 2.5 ft reef tank.

I have no problems with another FOWLR tank, but, somehow, the reef tank does not seem right. The fishes are ok, but even mushrooms do not seem to thrive well. I have a feeling that it could due to it's depth.

it could be the depth.. 2.5ft is pretty deep esp if you are not using MHs... are you?

Basically, try to aquascape using as little rocks as possible if you are not into Berlin system

And do not pack your rocks together, leave large holes and crannies for fish to swim through and or water flow

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

• SRC Member

May&Bruce,

I'm using 2 power heads - SEO M620 and Jebao-JB1500. These are in addition to the return pump (quite powerful but not too sure of the capacity)

Ervine,

I was using a MH which came together with the tank as a package, together with two Coral Star YDW24-H Blue Moon Actinic lights (all in one set). I also had an Atman chiller.

Blueheaven,

Mine is an "overflow system". Yes, I think I'll need to redo the aquascaping like you suggested. My other 3 ft tank's flow seems to be fine although I do not have any extra powerheads.

Perhaps, I should try to switch - keeping corals in the elongated 3ft tank, and FOWLR in the 2.5ft deep tank. I just tried putting some mushrooms in the 3ft tank and they seem alright so far.

Thanks alot guys. I'll check it out and try things out based on your advices & see if things can improve.

:thanks:

• SRC Member

Mushies does not really need very high flow. If lights is problem, check if it is expanding to get lights, normally it is these symtoms. If water no good or disturbed, it will string to become very small...

Equipment:

30G Corner Tank with 10G Sump, 2 x 24W artinic T5, 1 x 24W 10K, 1x 24W 20K, 3" Grade 0 sand & Live rocks, Activated Carbon, Bio-home, 2 x Seio M620, Hailea 1/2HP Chiller, Redsea Pro Skimmer

Live Stock:

Turbo Snail x 1, Green Mandarin Dragonet X 2, Blue Tang X 2, True percular x 2, 1 x Algae Bleenie, Clarke clown x 2

Reef:

1 x 2" Blue maxima, Red/Brown/Purple Mushroom (Discosoma), Pink Ricordea yuma, A little colony Brown/Green common Zoanthus, Red/Pink/Green US Zoanthus, Eagle-eye Zoathus, 14 Branch Goniopora Pandoraensis, 1 Starburst Polyps, 3 + 2 Branch Frogspawn, 4 Blasto, palythoa, Cheato

RIPs (Since June 2005):

1. Sabae clown (KO by Clarke clown) 2. 1 branch melted frogspawn 4 branch 3. Golden maxima (Ripe the base off rock by me) 4. Algae Bleenie x 2 (Starvation) 5. Blue Maxima x 1, 2 x Maxima, 1 x frogspawn, rics (Overtemp...)

Old 30G Corner Tank.

Restarted 30G Corner Tank.

• SRC Member
Mushies does not really need very high flow. If lights is problem, check if it is expanding to get lights, normally it is these symtoms. If water no good or disturbed, it will string to become very small...

Thanks nakaroku,

That's what stumped me - "even mushies don't thrive well". As far as I know, mushies are very easy to upkeep. All my fishes are doing very well in this tank.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks nakaroku,

That's what stumped me - "even mushies don't thrive well". As far as I know, mushies are very easy to upkeep. All my fishes are doing very well in this tank.

Have you ever dose iodine?

I dun think lighting and water flow is much concerns when comes to mushies, except if you have too high flow or too much lights. Which to your case it isn't.

I believe it could be due to the lack of iodine. Try a drop of Tropic Marine Lugol Solution in your tank per day for the next three days and see whether they react better.

HTH ;)

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member

I have tried most of those suggested by fellow reefers, but things does not seem to improve much. I removed much rocks to enhance circulation

Could it be due to the depth of this "tall tank - 2.2ft deep" that i am encountering problems? I have another 3 ft tank (with overflow compartment and return pump) and things are better.

In both tanks the fishes are fine.