Removing laminate and pasting new one?

taylapong

Hey guys,

I was wondering if any of you have had any experience removing laminates from cabinets and pasting on new one? I'm thinking of doing that to change the look of a cabinet but want to find out if its possible. Of, if pasting a new laminate over the old formica one will work? Or, maybe, if i paint?

what are your opinions?

Or, should i try and find a carpenter? hehe... not so fun already...

thanks!

• SRC Member

i think removing it shouldn't be much of a problem, I think cutting it into the right sizes is the more difficult task. That's why I used those sticker type laminate instead :paiseh: and since you have formica as a base, then it should look guite smooth :D

1. Via-Aqua MultiSkimmer - $25.00

2. DIY Kalk Reactor - $25.00

3. Atman Protein Skimmer - $25.00

PM Me if interested.

So should i stick another laminate over the previous, or remove and stick?

can anyone enlighten me to the advantages and disadvantages?

Do any of you know where i can get those laminates? Maybe i shouldn't use wood veneers, but those laminates with wood grain pattern...

I didn't want to paste the sticker kind cos i thought it may come off after awhile.. it's not so permanent...

• SRC Member

Are you sure you want to use laminate? It comes in minimum 4' x 8' or 5' x 10' or 5' x 12'. There are many brands available like Formica, Nevamar, etc.... Price also varies. Cutting it is like using the cutter for plastic. Thickness varies from 0.5mm or 0.6mm to 1.2mm. Glue used will be those so called laminate glue eg. Elephant Glue (sniff already can get high type).

Unless your local hardware shop can cut and sell them in small pieces, else it's difficult to handle. There is one shop along Geylang called Evershine that sell cheaper grade range of laminates too. But such shop sell in big sizes.

If the area of contact is big, it's not quite easy to remove them unless you are used to it. If the old laminate is ok, then you can juz paste over it. Laminate basicall it's like plastic - juz a different kind.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, the old laminate is pretty much ok... i thought laminate would be better cos wood veneers would be prone to rotting etc etc... so i thought it would last longer... I'll go check out the shop at Geylang... :)

my main fear is getting everything EXACTLY to fit... i used to do badly in art and craft... haha

Thanks!!

another question guys, if you don't mind :)

Do you know where i can get laminate trimming knives? THe kind with a curved blade? I went online to check on laminate pasting etc.. they all suggested that i cut the laminate a little bigger, paste on, then trim later. but, the all suggest the use of a router, which i don't have. Some suggested using this special curved blade, so i was wondering if anywhere in singapore had it :)

thanks guys!

• SRC Member
another question guys, if you don't mind :)

Do you know where i can get laminate trimming knives? THe kind with a curved blade? I went online to check on laminate pasting etc.. they all suggested that i cut the laminate a little bigger, paste on, then trim later. but, the all suggest the use of a router, which i don't have. Some suggested using this special curved blade, so i was wondering if anywhere in singapore had it :)

thanks guys!

You may use the same cutter as those used for acrylic... this may be purchased from most bookshops, popular or bras basah artshop.

It's easier to work on 0.7mm or 0.8mm thickness laminate. 1mm or thicker is more difficult to work on for DIY and of course cost you more.

Remember to buy those elephant glue from the shop you buy laminate. You need a 'blade like' tool (similar or look like a scraper) to apply the glue. You may cut a smaller piece of laminate to use as a glue applicator instead (most contractor do that). Spread it thin.

Thanks Chris :)

The webbies i've read up on suggested i use "contact cement"... is that the same as elephant glue? Their suggestion was to apply a thin layer to both the laminate and the cupboard, then let it dry. Then, put them together... apparently, they'll bond on contact. is that how elephant glue works too?

• SRC Member
Thanks Chris :)

The webbies i've read up on suggested i use "contact cement"... is that the same as elephant glue? Their suggestion was to apply a thin layer to both the laminate and the cupboard, then let it dry. Then, put them together... apparently, they'll bond on contact. is that how elephant glue works too?

It's the same as elephant glue. YOu may tell them you want glue for the laminate and the shop keeper will know - don't use the term contact cement here (they will stare at you as most don't know what is it). :P