Should I get a marine tank with centre overflow?

achillies

Hi,

I am currently using a 4x2x2 main tank with 3x12x1.5 sump for my mixed SPS and LPS for about 2 years. As rust is attacking the base of the supporting stand which is made of powered coated iron, there is need for me to change the stand. Also, the Chiller is in my bomb shelter thus not beri efficient. my electrical bill for 2 adult and a baby without aircon was $270 last month! :( my wife want to smash the tank with a hammer. :sick:

Thus using this apportunity to change to a bigger tank (against my CEO wishes) Since i am changing to another location, the space allows a 4 sided view, 120cm by 110 cm and 2 feet height. The issue now is whether should i put the overflow in the middle or at one of the corner? Any pros and cons?

all comments are welcome. :thanks:

achillies

• SRC Member

I have yet to see one with a centre over-flow. However, an interesting tank which I saw while browsing online. The water overflows from the top and around the base of the tank has a 'collection' tray which flows into the sump.

I'm trying to find the link. I can't remember whether I saw it in SRC or RC website. :pinch:

Very innovative idea though. ;)

• SRC Member

I have seen a square 3 footer tank with a centre "cylinder" overflow some 2 years back when I was looking for tank maker but i can't remember the name of the shop. (something like rainbow xxxx ... can't remember liao).

I think the centred round overflow look very nice, I believe the overflow is made from acrylic tube...

CHEERS!

• SRC Member

hmm...

bros... i'm thinking that he might be referring to centre overflow, as centre of the behind, so instead of it being at the corner of the tank, its at the back, but in the middle.

that would be like those at aquarama, those 3 ft tanks with the overflow at the centre. don't think he meant middle, as in right in the middle of the tank lahz. or would he?? =)

Hi Bros,

:thanks:

Thanks for all the replies. i have seen the one at LCK but will definitely go and have a look again...but need my wife approval leh. :paiseh:

i am thinking of internal overflow in the middle of the tank since my future tank is around 4ft x 110cm near 4 ft) x 2ft. if i put the overflow at the corner like my current tank then i will not have 4 sided view. However, if in the middle, i will need to hide the overflow which is in the middle of the tank and not have a elongated view.

my other concern is the central eurobracing placement...can i put it slightly to the side of the overflow?

thanks in advance.

achillies.

• SRC Member

If I read your post correctly, you are planning to make a (almost) 4 x 4 x 2ft tank. If your overflow is in the centre of the tank, you may have problem reaching it for maintenance. One other point you might want to consider is your light positioning, which may end up directly above your overflow, which you may not want that to happen.

• SRC Member

There's also a possibility that the dirty\oily water surface hard to flow into the overflow, as most powerhead\return water will pushed back the water surface toward the glass.

I have similar problem, although its not center+middle overflow, I setup up my tank intended for 3 sides view, 4' x 1.5' x 1.5' D. a single overflow is at the small side (center) near the wall, I see many more than half of the water surface is oily+dirty, and spining around at 1 side, being pushed back the water circulation intended at surface agitation from the overflow side.

HTH

• SRC Member
There's also a possibility that the dirty\oily water surface hard to flow into the overflow, as most powerhead\return water will pushed back the water surface toward the glass.

actually...the return pipe water dosent get in contact with the centre overflow box ma...it works the same as the right/left overflow box wad...the piping for the return jus go throught the overflow box but the return water dosent get in contact with the water flowing down....

anyway....can put a sponge on top to collect dirt and if dere is oily water...get a surface skimmer to do the job lors.. :D

my 2 cents

view my 2ft tank thread update here!!

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=36399

Tank Dimension: 24'x15'x19' with black silicon. All round 8mm.

Equipments:

Return Pump : Hailea HX6540

Skimmer/Chiller : Sicce 2500lph

Skimmer : Weipro 2011

Lightings: 4xT5s HO..2 20,000k & 2 Blue Pro(Aquaz) Retrofits

Chiller : Resun CL280

Auto Water Top Up

Life Stock:

More then 35kg of figi rocks

Blue Tang, Powder Blue Tang, Bristletooth tang, Clown Tang, Yellow Tang, Purple Tang, Flame Angel, Six Line Wrasse, Sunrise Dottyback. 2 Cleaner Shrimp

Green Bubble, Orange Yuma, Hammer, True Octopus, Acans,

Frogspawn, Green/Orange Cyannaria, Red Prata, Red Open Brain, Star Polyp, Acan Enchinata

I think both Kelman and Alvin are right in a way. I have noticed the water are pushed to the sides of the glass, not sure is it becos of the placement of the seios. Though the return pipes and the Durso pipes will be in the same overflow, the return water unlikely will affect the water flowing into the overflow...think depend on where i placed the return outlets.

Hi Guys,

thanks for the info. have spoken to the tanker maker from kelantan lane today and was told that a 110cmx120cmx2ft will cost a lot lot lot. thus will abort the idea. instead will either do a 5x2.5x2 9 (original plan), 4.5x3x2 (most likely will do this) or 4x3x2ft configuration. i like to have more depth, unfortunately cannot afford a 5ftx3x2 tank...

anyway, thanks again. will keep you guys posted.

:thanks: