suntec tank condition

Rocky99

I've got a few reefers whom I know are willing to help out including myself

Since our goal is to promote "responsible reefkeeping", I thought why not extend it to the public as well :lol:

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ya saw today Blue tang have ich, saw 1 which go near the that feather duster worm (sorry not sure name). Hmm it can help with ick ?

the tank got 3 part, main tank in centre then 2 smaller ones at both sides.

Got 3 fellow having a nice chit chat on the right side tank, def blocking anyone who wants to have a view.

Really dun understand !

But inside dun have any shrimps.

• SRC Member

er.... do not mean to be a wet blanket.... but do you think this is viable in the long run?? as we all should jolly well know.... reef tank is a black hole.... it will be soon before all this money will get finished soon... then we gonna get money from??

how many ppl here will volunteer? how many of these volunteers will stay at this thing long? and the best question of all, who wants to start? you got to consider... if all this do not work out in the end, and with a SRC label there.. it might all backfire in the end....

but it is a good suggestion nonetheless....

sorry for being a pompus pessimistic @ss... just stating my points... then again... maybe i am trying to challenge anyone here to prove me wrong, take up the challenge and start the whole ball rolling..

Agreed with mUar cHEe on his view.

I've got a few reefers whom I know are willing to help out including myself

Since our goal is to promote "responsible reefkeeping", I thought why not extend it to the public as well :lol:

bluehaven, there is a great difference in the real world compared to the idealistic world, especially where money is concerned. You will learn as you age along. ;)

However, if you are committed, please go all the way as stopping halfway will give a bad taste to the forum especially if you use the forum as a vehicle to promote responsible reef keeping through suntec's tank.

• SRC Member

I have to say this.

Blueheaven, what if the help you and your friend extend back fired? Could it be that why they changed the maintenance crew was due to cost? They might know the cost of setting a tank but the hidden cost may not have been known until the tank was started or something bad happened. In my opinion, the Suntec management may not have any idea what are the cost to keep that tank running eg salt mix, electricity consumption, maintenance cycle etc,etc. And it happen that you and your friend approach them and recommend more stuff to be changed in the name of improvement. The cost from their earlier estimate might have doubled or more! They might blame you for the escalating cost and ultimately this forum might be caught up in the fiasco.

I would humbly suggest not to get involved until things have settled. But if you really want to help the Suntec management, maybe ask them what do they want from the current setup. Do not wet your hand unti lyou have ascertain what is happening in the background. Try to get the full story 1st.

• SRC Member

2 ways IMHO.

1) Involve personally or as a group. but once involved, can u get out

as easily? as mentioned, its not abt hobby suntec is toking here. its

abt advert, $$$, more customer etc etc etc ... do u think suntec give a

damn??? NO ... most likely, their marketing dept had a beer drinking

session and some a$$hole said ... "hey lets have a marine tank in

suntec, those parents sure to bring their children to see nemo and

possibly buy some stuff for x'mas :P"

how long can u provide the assisstance?? FOC?? wat, or r u gonna

charge them consultant fee?

2) go thro the media or proper channel to pressure them to either shut

down the tank or seriously "pump" $$$ in for proper maintainence.

fr wat we see in the NKF case, i'll voke for (2). mass and media is

power. and being suntec, they wouldnt want to be in the "bad" light :evil:

coz they got eye to see wat happen to NKF

• SRC Member
2 ways IMHO.

1) Involve personally or as a group. but once involved, can u get out

as easily? as mentioned, its not abt hobby suntec is toking here. its

abt advert, $$$, more customer etc etc etc ... do u think suntec give a

damn??? NO ... most likely, their marketing dept had a beer drinking

session and some a$$hole said ... "hey lets have a marine tank in

suntec, those parents sure to bring their children to see nemo and

possibly buy some stuff for x'mas :P"

how long can u provide the assisstance?? FOC?? wat, or r u gonna

charge them consultant fee?

2) go thro the media or proper channel to pressure them to either shut

down the tank or seriously "pump" $$$ in for proper maintainence.

fr wat we see in the NKF case, i'll voke for (2). mass and media is

power. and being suntec, they wouldnt want to be in the "bad" light :evil:

coz they got eye to see wat happen to NKF

Agreed with wat zephyroas said get the media to interview them saying the tank condition was so bad or LS are dying everday......get the management to answer tis n tat.............remember tat there is tis snr minister said media r very powerful. :evil:

So anyone here can send a mail to Straits Times Forum ??? :bow:

Sorry me english not good so need someone who are more capable to do it. :thanks:

Cheers

Hmm maybe you guys misunderstood my post

I am not going to lend a hand in the tank and neither am I going to invest cash in it

I will most likely give the management some basic knowledge of what it takes to run a reef tank and probably extend my help into looking at their stuff and give them advise on what to do next.

I'm not going to pull SRC in but just that me and my circle of friends are willing to help in any way we can. I know my limits and I hope my age doesn't affect the way you guys judge my posts ;)

I have already done that

• SRC Member

BH,

I can understand your sentiments about the Suntec marine tank. Your intention to be involved and promote reefing is laudable. It truly reflects your passion and love for thye hobby. In fact, as you had mentioned before, it's your dream to be a marine biologist. Based on what I gathered and understand about your knowledge and skills in Reefing I do not doubt your capabilities about doing something good for those poor fishes and corals in the giant tank.

As many of our SRC bros had mentioned, the Suntec tank is about business by certain advertising company. I do feel it's a "bad decision" and a gross under-projection of budget by someone with a "great and novel" idea. The long term maintenance and management of this tank will be very very costly.

Your and your friend may volunteer your services if you are keen. Do find out more about the background info about the giant tanks before committing yourself in any way. Definitely, $$$$wise it's a deep dark and bottomless hole. If the company concerned is willing to foot the bill of whatever $$$$incurred (services FOC, by you and your friends) maybe you can give it a try - with due consideration of your time & long term commitment. You need to be very sure that you and your friend can cope with this massive project.

Hi all reefers,

To begin with, I would like to clarify a few questions from this thread.

Firstly, this tank at Suntec City Mall is fully owned by Aquarium Media Singapore and not Suntec City Development. Aquarium Media Singapore is a fully owned subsidiery of Coral Reef Aquarium Manufacturer Pte Ltd, Yek Fong Aquarium Accessories SDN BHD, and Bao Fong Aquarium Manufacturer.

Secondly, the set up of the tank was done by Harlequin Marine.

Thirdly, this set up was completed and opened for public viewing on 15 nov 2005.

I would like to highlight to some of you reefers out there that the maintenance is done by our own in-house team from Coral Reef Aquarium Manufacturer Pte Ltd. We view your comments and feedback seriously and welcome all your ideas and comments. We are also in the process of fine tuning to make this tank as attractive as possible to the public. It will be great if all you experienced reefers can advice and contribute to this tank display.

Kindly forward all your ideas and comments to alfiegan@craquarium.com.sg so that we can improve the display on this tank.

You may also contact me at HP:91066699 should you need further clarification on this matter.

We would appreciate if those of you experienced reefers out there can input some advice and ideas for us to improve and hope that all these advice can be forwarded to us as soon as possible.

As we are not a member of the reef society, we will not be logging in here frequently. Your comments will be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Alfie Gan

Regional Business Manager

Head Office:

Aquarium Media Singapore

100 Beach Road, #27-04

Shaw Tower

S(189702)

Tel: (65) 6297 9006

Fax:(65) 6297 9008

Singapore:

Coral Reef Aquarium Manufacturer Pte Ltd

218 Tagore Lane

S(787599)

Tel: (65) 6841 7357 Fax: (65) 6842 6861

Malaysia:

Yek Fong Aquarium Accessories SDN. BHD.

45, Jalan SR 1/9, Seksyen 9,

Jalan Serdang Raya

Taman Serdang Raya,

43300 Seri Kembangan,

Selangor Darul Ehsan

Tel: 603-8941 1452

Fax: 603-8941 3544

China:

Bao Fong Aquarium Manufacturer

No. 42, Xianlong Road, Haizhou Gu Town, ZhongShan City

GuangDong, China

Tel: 86-760-2361580

Fax: 86-760-2361500

BH,

I can understand your sentiments about the Suntec marine tank. Your intention to be involved and promote reefing is laudable. It truly reflects your passion and love for thye hobby. In fact, as you had mentioned before, it's your dream to be a marine biologist. Based on what I gathered and understand about your knowledge and skills in Reefing I do not doubt your capabilities about doing something good for those poor fishes and corals in the giant tank.

As many of our SRC bros had mentioned, the Suntec tank is about business by certain advertising company. I do feel it's a "bad decision" and a gross under-projection of budget by someone with a "great and novel" idea. The long term maintenance and management of this tank will be very very costly.

Your and your friend may volunteer your services if you are keen. Do find out more about the background info about the giant tanks before committing yourself in any way. Definitely, $$$$wise it's a deep dark and bottomless hole. If the company concerned is willing to foot the bill of whatever $$$$incurred (services FOC, by you and your friends) maybe you can give it a try - with due consideration of your time & long term commitment. You need to be very sure that you and your friend can cope with this massive project.

Thanks for the encouragement, I know what I can do and I'll not step over the line :thanks:

And to Coral Reef Aquarium, feel free to PM me if you guys need any help and suggestions :D

• SRC Member

Hi BH,

Since Coral Reef Aquarium has come forward to clear the air about certain concerns by SRC members and are positive about suggestions and assistance, it looks like a very good opportunity for you to put your knowledge to good use, and at the same time learning from a well established company.

Ok, since Coral Reef Aquarium had clarified things, I'll tell ST about it

Finally, a happy ending :D

• SRC Member

I just came back from Suntec. I was there on Wednesday evening and there was 3 Emperor Angels (1 was already lying on the sandbed, gasping for air). Today, there was only 1 left. :( I saw a bleached brain too.

And I saw clams too! *ARGH* They don't even have adequate lighting for clams. :( Will try to load some pics later.

• SRC Member

Great to hear that Coral Reef Aquarium is coming forward to explain their position. I guess it is not uncommon that some companies want to perform the maintenance themsselves after the equipment is commissioned.

However, reef tank is not something that can be handled by just any unexperienced staff. So I would urge Coral Reef Aquarium that while they plan to build up their expertise to maintain the reef tank, at the same time, they should consider outsourcing the maintenance work for the first few months to a year to some experience LFS like Harlequin to maintain for them.

It is actually cheaper and less heartache to pay the outsource fees for the first few months than to pay the money for the replacement stock.

• SRC Member

my pt of view ... wat is the relationship of the tank (Coral Reef Aq) and

suntec. or rather, wat is the purpose of the tank in suntec? Obviously

IT IS suntec's idea to have a marine tank there right? so can suntec

stomach the idea to close down the tank to cycle the tank thro the

ANN stage of at least a month? or close to catch out all the tangs when

there is a ich outbreak? who can give the go ahead? suntec or

Coral Reef Aq? This is not like having a tank at home whereby u can

happy happy shutdown for maintainence.

All still comes back to business lah. when the contact is signed to have

the tank commissioned at Nov 15, no matter whether u r ready or not,

the fish and coral better be inside. if they die on the way, so be it, spend

more $$$ and get new fish and coral. that's real life in the business

world. to them its $$$ and not hobby. hobby dun make $$$. suntec

dun have a repution to uphold saying they had a x years old marine

tank and no-one in suntec mgmt will feel proud even if the tank is a

success. its just another piece of advisting equipement and strategry.

wat i'm saying is that, unless Coral Reef CAN make decision

on the running of the tank (such as shutdown for pro-long period for

maintainence), if not better stay with FOWLR tank lah.

for a start, if coral reef is really interested in the well being of the tank.

do NOT add new LS into it. get the tank condition to be stable 1st, where

BH and frens can help out too. close up the gap for any equipement

needed to substain watever LS intended to keep.

Of coz i dun think suntec's would like to see a empty tank :evil:

• SRC Member

If i not wrong their using the tank to make $ , cos u see the info from the TV inside the tank it ask company to advertise there as u can see there is playing a few advertisment. :lol:

6x2.5x2.5 (GEO AQUATIC)

Aquamedic Turboflotor 5000Baby

Aquamedic NR1000

Aquamedic KR1000

Aquamedic Niveaumat

Aquamedic Ozone

RM Fluidised Reactor

Tunze 6060x3

Resun C1000

Aqualight 2x250w + 150w MH

Hi all,

I would like to keep the moderators and members of Singapore Reef Club informed that after seeking legal advice from our consultants, We will consider to pursue this case legally.

As we have posted in this forum earlier, to forward all comments, complaints, allegations and remarks to our said representatives, We appreciate that all these requests are being taken seriously. Unfortunately, We have received official complaints to Suntec City and Straits Times, as mentioned in this forum by members who intend to do so. We view these actions and allegations seriously which is damaging to the businesses and reputations of the companies involved.

I would like to highlight the following:

As Singapore Reef Club is providing the platform for members to post slanderous remarks, allegations and comments on the stated issue in public, Singapore Reef Club will also be held responsible in this case.

Members, who posted slanderous remarks, allegations and comments in this forum, damaging to the reputation and businesses of the represented companies will be held responsible for these comments made in public.

Companies in the aquarium industry, who have registered in Singapore Reef Club as members, who have also posted slanderous remarks, allegations and comments in this forum, damaging to the reputation and businesses of the represented companies will also be held responsible.

We will demand all explanations, compensations and losses incurred from all the involved parties. We urge Singapore Reef Club and its members, to unconditionally discontinue any contributions to this topic pending investigations.

We will reserve the rights to pursue this case legally after our investigations are completed.

Kindly contact me should there be any clarifications required.

Best Regards,

Alfie Gan

Regional Business Manager

Mobile: 91066699

alfiegan@aquarium-media.com

Head Office:

Aquarium Media Singapore

100 Beach Road, #27-04

Shaw Tower

S(189702)

Tel: (65) 6297 9006

Fax:(65) 6297 9008