green algae on the glass

• SRC Member

Most snails sold at LFS will eat the powdery kind but never totally clean the glass of it. To get algae free glass you'll have to scrub. No way around it.

Mag-float and Tetra blade are good for the job.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

phosphates in your water are fueling the growth of the algae. The light is just a catalyst.

It is rather difficult to get phosphates out of your system. The quickest way is probably a phosphate absorbing filter media like rowaphos.

• SRC Member

The fast way out is to scrub off the algae with a an object like credit cards...But that 's not the root to the problem.Maybe u should pay more attention on cutting down lighting hours and also PO4 level

2ft cube with 2.5 sump

400w MH with 6 x 24w blue T5

Hydor wavemaker controller

Aquatronica controller

Daikin compressor with double coil

RM CR

H&S out sump skimmer

• SRC Member
The fast way out is to scrub off the algae with a an object like credit cards...But that 's not the root to the problem.Maybe u should pay more attention on cutting down lighting hours and also PO4 level

if u scrub off the algae using with object....it will scare the fishes :D

if u scrub off the algae using with object....it will scare the fishes :D

haha....I guess its tru...my frenz used to say....my fish will wonder why there the giant octapus appears every few days....puzzled...its actually my itchy hand and fingers...get it? :lol::lol::lol:

now, my tangs can't be bothered with my hand in the tank...the damsel and bicolor blenny protects their turf valiantly...take shots at my arm relentlessly though.... :D:P:D

Anyway...its true phos. does fuels the algae..so beside having 2 blennies, a skimmer, the phos absorb medium, my card scrapping habit still goes on.... <_<

• SRC Member

I am not aware of a skimmer that is capable of that yet :huh:

Phosphate

In a Jaubert system one may employ aeration, algae harvest, protein skimming, and or kalkwasser dosing to manage the phosphate level. The spontaneous precipitation of calcium phosphate in marine aquariums that are maintained at natural seawater pH helps to lower the dissolved phosphate level, given adequate supply of calcium. However, this process is easily overwhelmed with high inputs of phosphate from the makeup water or from the food added for a large population of fish. In addition, dissolved organically bound phosphate can persist in the water, and particulate organic phosphate accumulates in the substrate. As I mentioned, protein skimming helps to remove dissolved phosphate. The bubbling action of airstones can also lower the dissolved phosphate level in the water by ejecting phosphate as an aerosol (see Spotte). Dosing the aquarium with kalkwasser (calcium hydroxide solution) causes rapid precipitation of dissolved phosphate due to the supply of calcium ions and the increase in pH caused by the hydroxide ions. The precipitated phosphate is insoluble at natural seawater pH, so while it accumulates in the aquarium in the bottom substrate, it is generally not available to the water column. Algae growing on the substrate may be able to obtain the phosphate by secreting special enzymes that digest it. Algae may also employ the activities of symbiotic bacteria that secrete enzymes to liberate phosphate bound to the gravel or tied up in organic detritus. Harvesting and removing algae such as Caulerpa spp. from the aquarium is a way to export phosphate. Particulate phosphate (organic and inorganic) can also be exported via protein skimming, and siphoning to remove it during water changes.

Quote from:

Advanced Aquarists Online Magazine

• 2 weeks later...