my newbie tank

chercm

• SRC Member

hmm... well you can keep the clam shell as a deco item! :P

thats what i did last time when my first clam died... :lol:

hmmm.... your other coral seems much better compared to the earlier pics...

A man with a reef tank is a man with an empty wallet...

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• SRC Member

I agree with bro nakazoru:

1) Ur Tang's a bit too big for your tank.

2) U are stocking corals too fast. (did u mentioned ur tank is only 26 days old?)

3) Clams need better lighting - 2 x T5-HO not enuf. At least 3-4 T5 then suffice.

my own opinion:

a) That cleaner wrasse - hope its eating the food u are feeding (frozen shrimps / pellets /flakes), or else its probably gonna starve to dead. Cleaner wrasse in captivity usually wun last long becuz their main diet is un-replicatable. (someone correct me if i m wrong on this ^^ )

B) that SEAFAN (blue sakura-lookalike) is placed at the wrong place with regards to ur SEIO water flow pump. Seafans need very good (strong) water flow. So try to place it at a place on the sandbed where its "petals" are swaying violently in the current. this will ensure that the buds (aka. flowers) open up beautifully. do bury the seafan deep enuf in the sand ya? dun let the flow uproot it. Feed it with live Phytoplanktons.

c) the newer rockscaping is nicer. Do take note to avoid buying too much liverocks at a go to add on (if u still intend to add, that is), cuz adding more liverocks will stir up a mini ANN cycle. As for the behind or the tank, Go buy some dark blue / black "OYAMA" PAPER to paste behind the tank, this will cover up the ugly wirings behind. Ur tank will also look more contrasting infront of the dark background. Basically, it helps improves focus.

d) Ur wirings... danger. keep them neat ya?

e) U sure its a glass tank? Cuz from wat I see on ur first few pictures, esp. the side view, the front of ur tank at the length, seems expanded at the middle portion; like its gonna snap and burst thru the centre (from pressure). Hope its really glass.

f) the clam... ITS DEAD~!!!!!???? NooooooOooOooo

dancing_girl2.gifSpirit.gif

will they sea fan die?

Humble tank :

Size: 4x2.5x2 ft - Display 

Equipment :

Return 1 : Ecotech marine L1

Return 2 : Ecotech marine M1

CR : Skimz CM122 - Caribsea extra course media with Grotech magnesium

Light : ATI 8x54W

• SRC Member

erm... i haven not experience / seen a dying sea fan before... they are suppose to be relatively hardy, and ur tank looks nice to house one.

well, should those 'petals' drop until the whole fan is botak... i guess its considered dead lor...

dancing_girl2.gifSpirit.gif

there is a worm with feeler living in the sand bed

how ?

Humble tank :

Equipment :

• SRC Member

courtesy pictures from monster1975 (*dude, sorry to use ur pic to enlighten chercm)

This is how it shld look like when BLOOM... ;) hope it helps!

Reefz onz!

post-34-1141730479.jpg

thanks wil for the advices

but concerning the QT tank , what to leave inside it ?

Humble tank :

Equipment :

does this look ok ?

dsc_0363.jpg

Humble tank :

Equipment :

• SRC Member
does this look ok ?

dsc_0363.jpg

It seems to be very slightly better. But still got a long way from being a stressless one.

Equipment:

30G Corner Tank with 10G Sump, 2 x 24W artinic T5, 1 x 24W 10K, 1x 24W 20K, 3" Grade 0 sand & Live rocks, Activated Carbon, Bio-home, 2 x Seio M620, Hailea 1/2HP Chiller, Redsea Pro Skimmer

Live Stock:

Turbo Snail x 1, Green Mandarin Dragonet X 2, Blue Tang X 2, True percular x 2, 1 x Algae Bleenie, Clarke clown x 2

Reef:

1 x 2" Blue maxima, Red/Brown/Purple Mushroom (Discosoma), Pink Ricordea yuma, A little colony Brown/Green common Zoanthus, Red/Pink/Green US Zoanthus, Eagle-eye Zoathus, 14 Branch Goniopora Pandoraensis, 1 Starburst Polyps, 3 + 2 Branch Frogspawn, 4 Blasto, palythoa, Cheato

RIPs (Since June 2005):

1. Sabae clown (KO by Clarke clown) 2. 1 branch melted frogspawn 4 branch 3. Golden maxima (Ripe the base off rock by me) 4. Algae Bleenie x 2 (Starvation) 5. Blue Maxima x 1, 2 x Maxima, 1 x frogspawn, rics (Overtemp...)

Old 30G Corner Tank.

Restarted 30G Corner Tank.

• SRC Member

chercm,

U are like me when i started.

Slow down please. The water condition is not

stable yet. I have the same sea fan as U but i

think my placement doesn't have strong enuff

current.

Half year to a year down the road U most prob.

tell urself how much U could have saved (livestock & $$$)

if U had gone slower. :lol:

Cool tank btw !

Cheers !!! :D

• SRC Member

leave the cyannaria alone and dun shift it further bcos the more u shift the stresser it gets...

view my 2ft tank thread update here!!

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=36399

Tank Dimension: 24'x15'x19' with black silicon. All round 8mm.

Equipments:

Return Pump : Hailea HX6540

Skimmer/Chiller : Sicce 2500lph

Skimmer : Weipro 2011

Lightings: 4xT5s HO..2 20,000k & 2 Blue Pro(Aquaz) Retrofits

Chiller : Resun CL280

Auto Water Top Up

Life Stock:

More then 35kg of figi rocks

Blue Tang, Powder Blue Tang, Bristletooth tang, Clown Tang, Yellow Tang, Purple Tang, Flame Angel, Six Line Wrasse, Sunrise Dottyback. 2 Cleaner Shrimp

Green Bubble, Orange Yuma, Hammer, True Octopus, Acans,

Frogspawn, Green/Orange Cyannaria, Red Prata, Red Open Brain, Star Polyp, Acan Enchinata

yupz yupz maxstar81, i agree with ya on that...

i am already starting to feel guilty for all the lives i haf snuffed out cos of my haste and impatience...

It happens... I think being impatient is one thing, getting to know the requirements of the specimens is another thing. To me, most importantly is to have prior knowledge of the specimens before purchase. Any honest LFS would tell you your tank is not ready for that beautiful clam... how much you paid for it btw? Just curious only la, not that I can get one atm.

:peace:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

but to me most important , how to place my wave maker correctly?

it is driving me nuts

Humble tank :

Equipment :

Worst case, put on timer lo... every 5 min interval, run for 5 min. Those analog (old fashion) timer can do that. Don't go nutz... not gonna help your poor coral. Maybe you wanna do a swift relocation, maybe under the SEIO. That will work I think, at least your other corals can still enjoy the SEIO (some rely on it).

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

of course cleaner is eating

Humble tank :

Equipment :

dsc_0367.jpg

dsc_0368.jpg

Humble tank :

Equipment :

• SRC Member

maybe what i can assit u...

leave the wave maker blowing the back. Also, rem...dun shift ur cyn and other corals...btw dude, did u check ur water parameters???? Do u have all the testkits?

sorry for begin blunt...and hope that u can give us ur water parameters to advise u...:D

cheer mate and reefz onz..:D

thank wil

Humble tank :

Equipment :

Actually the mushrooms don't look too well too. Did you just on the light before the photo shoot? Or the mushrooms have been like that for days? Just trying to figure out what is wrong with you setup... coz I might be facing it soon :eyeblur: