Reef Aquarium

trenyce

Hi,

I'm actually new to reef aquarium.

My husband and I saw this reef aquarium set that was displayed in the basement of Tampines Mall and we fell in love with it and would like to own one. :)

It is quite a small set (compared to those we've seen) and they are selling it at $850. They said that for a set like this, it does not require those complicated filtration/oxygen system, etc and it's low maintenance. Just need to check the salt level once a month and change the filter cotton just hv to change every week for the first few weeks and after that once a mth.

Any advice on where I can find similar system like that? Also, any advice or any "warnings" before we purchase a set?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Trenyce

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

hi,glad that you have come to consult on this issue,for $850 for the small tank,its a killer price...for this price you can get a 2ft -3ft tank with cabinet and sump tank...dont go back to that shop...i am sure other reefers on SRC would be glad to hel you out

Hi,

I'm actually new to reef aquarium.

My husband and I saw this reef aquarium set that was displayed in the basement of Tampines Mall and we fell in love with it and would like to own one. :)

It is quite a small set (compared to those we've seen) and they are selling it at $850. They said that for a set like this, it does not require those complicated filtration/oxygen system, etc and it's low maintenance. Just need to check the salt level once a month and change the filter cotton just hv to change every week for the first few weeks and after that once a mth.

Any advice on where I can find similar system like that? Also, any advice or any "warnings" before we purchase a set?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Trenyce

with 850 dollars , u can own not just that set , but a beautiful cabinet tank and decent skimmer and lighting . drop that idea from buying there

that tank is very restricted

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

• SRC Member

Hrmz, have to agree with the reefers here that the shop is abit overpriced. If you really like a nano, get one and set it up yourself....At most 2/3 of the price? If you can, get a conventional tank, it'll let you upgrade and install equipments much easier than the nanocube... :)

My Newbie Tank Thread

My Blog

All pics taken with CanoN!~

• SRC Member

Hmm .. i think u r refering to the nanocube.

I actually visited this farm at pasir ris .. n the owner revealed that the tampines mll tank was actually done by him as an entire set n that the shop owner doesnt know anything abt marine aquariums.

Btw the farm charged the shop arnd $600 (if i rmb correctly) for the entire set with LS. Thats $200 for doing NOTHING!

Oh yea .. n i think the farm does overstock the LS in the tank.

Its good that u found out abt this forum .. i was once like u n wanted to buy that set too .. *phew* ... n there's a lot to learn too ..

• SRC Member

The fun of reef tank, is doing something that works for the reef. YOURSELF.

Not to say that they lied but if you need bros here can help you set up not having to charge you anything!!!!!! All advise for free, maybe a couple of beer will do the job.

Equipment:

30G Corner Tank with 10G Sump, 2 x 24W artinic T5, 1 x 24W 10K, 1x 24W 20K, 3" Grade 0 sand & Live rocks, Activated Carbon, Bio-home, 2 x Seio M620, Hailea 1/2HP Chiller, Redsea Pro Skimmer

Live Stock:

Turbo Snail x 1, Green Mandarin Dragonet X 2, Blue Tang X 2, True percular x 2, 1 x Algae Bleenie, Clarke clown x 2

Reef:

1 x 2" Blue maxima, Red/Brown/Purple Mushroom (Discosoma), Pink Ricordea yuma, A little colony Brown/Green common Zoanthus, Red/Pink/Green US Zoanthus, Eagle-eye Zoathus, 14 Branch Goniopora Pandoraensis, 1 Starburst Polyps, 3 + 2 Branch Frogspawn, 4 Blasto, palythoa, Cheato

RIPs (Since June 2005):

1. Sabae clown (KO by Clarke clown) 2. 1 branch melted frogspawn 4 branch 3. Golden maxima (Ripe the base off rock by me) 4. Algae Bleenie x 2 (Starvation) 5. Blue Maxima x 1, 2 x Maxima, 1 x frogspawn, rics (Overtemp...)

Old 30G Corner Tank.

Restarted 30G Corner Tank.

• SRC Member

Thats true....you'll learn much more about the hobby if you start from scratch and DIY. Sometimes it can be backbreaking, heart-breaking and sometimes pure frustrating. But trust me, its a process you'll enjoy and you'll look on with pride as your reef grows from nothing to a beautiful centerpiece in your house.... :)

My Newbie Tank Thread

My Blog

All pics taken with CanoN!~

• SRC Member

LOL, I am glad you did some home work and coming here to check out the situation before buying that $850 tank. Or else, you would become the 2nd famous Chai Tao with the $850 tank in the east side! :lol:

Check out this poll first. :lol:

Poll on TM basement fishshop Prices

with $850, you CAN DO MUCH MORE than that little Nano Cube. The fun is in the setting up. just like when u buy a little puppy and it grows up with u; not just buy an adult dog one shot. Come here, often, we guys are more than willing to give u advise for free.

There are lotsa experts around here (like Iantoh for e.g.) with much much bigger and nicer tank than all the little tanks combined that you saw at TM basement. Most of the fishes that fishshop at TM basement keep are all cheapo-hard-to-die fishes (Damsels). Post more questions here, and we can show u the way to the cheapest, more interesting marine fish shops in Pasir Ris, Jalan Kayu (all the east sides) , Lavender, etc. , or even the west side (CCk, LCK). The guys around here will be more than glad to give u advise on how to setup ur tank!

Welcome to SRC.

dancing_girl2.gifSpirit.gif

• SRC Member

super sun roughly ard correct px

Main Tank : 48 inch by 36 inch by 28 inch (2 sides starphire glass)
Sump Tank :
Return Pump :
Chiller : Starmax Compressor 1 HP Drop coil
Chiller Return Pump
Protein Skimmer :
Wave Maker :
Fluidised Reactor :

• SRC Member

Yea .. my tank has since became my baby! .. i look at it at least twice a day (btw its still cycling with nothing but LR n sand inside) .. Its like suddenly i start to feel a strong responsibilty to the tank..

Its a great hobby i must say .. esp when we start up from the drawing board .. still rmb'ed the numerous ideas i had .. i m sure some of u guys rmb helping me out abt a month ago ..

Now i m happy starting up with the most economical set up i can afford .. though its not a big one .. i still take pride in it!

Yea .. i strongly encourage u to do lots of reading up in this forum .. start of from this section where lots of questions had been asked n answered. Hav to agree with most guys that with $850 .. there's a whole lot of better setup available with a lot of better equipments like a good skimmer, chiller.

I hope i didnt discourage u in any sense n if i did .. i offer my apologies.

Once again .. i must say that researching on this hobby hav also made me alot more knowledgable n its fun as well .. plus i met so many great ppl out there all ready to offer help. N thats only the appetizer .. there's the main course yet to come! .. All de best in this hobby n whenever ur in doubt juz post a topic on it n i m sure there will b reefers out there willing to help .. count me in too! Yea .. most importantly Have FUn!

• SRC Member
  • SRC Member

The price tag for the setup is really too much. First of all, owning a marine tank is an investment for your time and money. YOu will need to have time to check the state of the tank (especially the early stages), and yes there are alot of diff equipment available for you to choose, according to your budget and whether you intend to Upgrade etc.

The best would be to read up on about our fellow reefers' tanks and setup first before you get one yourself. From what the rest have said, it is indeed fun and good way to culture patience hahah!

• SRC Member
Hmm .. i think u r refering to the nanocube.

I actually visited this farm at pasir ris .. n the owner revealed that the tampines mll tank was actually done by him as an entire set n that the shop owner doesnt know anything abt marine aquariums.

Btw the farm charged the shop arnd $600 (if i rmb correctly) for the entire set with LS. Thats $200 for doing NOTHING!

Oh yea .. n i think the farm does overstock the LS in the tank.

Its good that u found out abt this forum .. i was once like u n wanted to buy that set too .. *phew* ... n there's a lot to learn too ..

Hi,

Yeah I can vouch for that. I bought my nano from the Pasir Ris farm with stand for $350. I nearly got suckered into that Tampines mall package.

Instead of paying the farm $200 for the setup, they persuaded me to do it on my own. I have no regrets, there is nothing like a customised tank that you can call your baby...

But of course, I wouldnt be able to do it without the good advise from all the professional reefers on this forum.

Thanks alot guys! :D

• SRC Member

Thanks for seconding my account :)

YEa .. i was tempted by the nanocube .. but yea .. i decided on a slightly bigger set up which provids me more freedom to choose my equipments .. yea .. it doesnt look any much presentable .. in fact i m finding it a little messy.

Hmm .. there's a bro with a really neat nanocube modification set up .. with really cool equips .. mayb u can check out his topic .. btw he is new here also n juz set up.

Jervis' NC I hope jervis is ok with me linking his topic :)

Phew!!!! Good thing that we decided to check out the Net and finally found this forum before committing to get the NC. Thank you very much for providing all these invaluable feedback.

After all the readings ... our eyes are now :shock: pretty much crossed with so much info!!! :lol:

Hmm ... we'll check out the Pasir Ris farmway again ...we went there last Sunday but didn't see many shops that sells marine reefs.

Any recommendations of which shops to go? What about the areas some of you mentioned earlier like Lavender? Are you able to advise the shop's name and address? Appreciate this!

If in the end of the day we are still "hopeless" .. we'll get a carton of beer for you all 'experts' to help set our aquarium can?!? Snacks included as well! haha ...

• SRC Member

Heres a link (from one of the brothers around here).

ALL THE MARINE SHOPS IN SPORE

Hmm ... we'll check out the Pasir Ris farmway again ...we went there last Sunday but didn't see many shops that sells marine reefs.

There are at least 7 shops selling Marine fishes and equipment at Pasir Ris Farmway area. U didn't search properly?

I personally only go to Ah-Bengs's (Pasir Ris), the auntie (opposite ah-engs') and Aqua Marin (Jalan Kayu).

Lavender has nice nice REBORN.

dancing_girl2.gifSpirit.gif

• SRC Member

Yup .. so far been to those at pasir ris, aqua marine, reborn n marine life at clementi...

Personally i find the nicest display tank which gives the most inspiration would b the one at marine life. Henry's 2ft cube really rocks .. mayb u can check the place out .. he's a really nice guy too ..

There's also aquamarine 2by1 ft display tank for a nano set up idea .. n its doing really well.. can go down n hav a look .. for add. can check out the sponsors forum.

yo bro, I was the one who did'nt do my homework and got my blood sucked. My nanocube is now 3 1/2 monts old and is still going strong. But you'll have to change your water weekly instead of monthly. This advised was given to me by a worker in one of the fishfarm in pasir ris who actually supply the tank and the fishes to TM shop. True the nanocube got this build in fan but it is actualy useless. the fan cannot maintain a temp of 25deg. so i have to on my home aircon just to maitained the temp. what to do bro, you have to take care of your tank even if it means more utilities bill. so my advise to you is to follow all the bros here and go for a diy tank. I'll post a pic of my nanocube later.