Help a newbe

Hi all,

Had my tank running for a while now (about 6 weeks) and introduced some corals over the weekend.

Only problem is I think one is dieing and one is going to be a big problem to keep.

Any advice on how to look after them?

Pics attached

First one is the brand new one, (fell victim to the LFS tellign me it was a good buy)

Second one I think I dieing

Third I think will be a problem to keep, any advice on how to look after it properly (and for the others as well)

post-6-1142349612.jpg

to be honest I dont know what any of the corals are, the first one is supposed to be a leather one, but I really dont know... Sorry the pics are so bad, not got used to the camera yet :)

The tank is 24 inches length, 18 inches high (water to abt 14 inches) width 12 inches

Lighting, ummm not too sure, the shop I got the tank from said it was "perfect" for marine.

No skimmer or chiller, but some fancy fan that actually drops the water temp to abt 26-27 c

Oh man... u bought 2 pieces of corals that are not recommended for newbies (and new tanks). They will die... how long have you been keeping them? If not too long, check for any damage. If not much, sell it to fellow reefers at the Pasar Malam section. Don't stress yourself and your tank. You can always buy them when you and your tank are ready... just my 2 cents... anyway I am a newbie too and no way I'm gonna buy those beautiful corals... they are very costly too. Hope this helps. :D

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

I had a feeling they were difficult to keep. The pink one seems to be doing well. But the other one, the purple one seems to be dieing. Would love to try to keep them alive, if someone can tell me what I should be doing.

Ive had them both since the weekend. So not long.

The first one should be Leather or Colt Coral if i am not wrong... Cant see clearly...

Mostly non-photosynthetic... One of the hardiest soft coral... Place them in Moderate flow and feeding of phytoplankton, coral food and trace elements is requires...

THe second if not wrong should be Star Polyps... They are closed now... Cant remember photosynthetic anot... :angel: But i have mine under lighting and growing well.. Dun let algae grow over them if not they will die... Require high flow, but dun place too near to the powerhead, the tissue will fly away...

The last one is Cauliflower coral, not a easy coral but if the condition is right... They thrive very well... Require high flow and a lot of phyto and coral food... Btw they are normally found hanging upside down in the wild... Place upright also can...

Give them some time to settle down... Normally corals will take some time to regain their full health...

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

• SRC Member

bro, trick is to have high flow. the star polyps and the cauliflowers u got there will not open properly unless u got high flow. get a decent wave maker, and blow over them, not directly at them. should do the trick.

Thanks all.

dnutz : Yup check it regularly, last check all were well within the clear. I'll check again tomorrow and see if anythign has changed. Hope not! Tank was cycling just over 6 weeks before adding corals.

Thanks Terryz, colinsoon, I'll be patient :angel: and wait for them to settle. I'll give them a few more days before I panic :)

Can someone recommend a good (for a small tank like mine) wave maker, and where to get it from... Im in the east, so somewhere this side would be good! I'll try to pick one up this weekend. Oh an whats the going price for one?

• SRC Member

Haiz.. Dun know what to say. :D You buy what also dun know... :blink:

There u go:

1. Cauliflower Colt Coral (Soft Coral) - Moderate to high Light, strong flow. Phytoplankton will be good, but not total necessary.

2. Starburst Polpy Coral (colony coral) - Moderate to high Light, strong flow. Phytoplankton will be good, but not total necessary.

3. Red/Pink Cauliflower Coral (Soft Coral) - Little light, strong flow. Phytoplankton is a must.

Dosage of additive is necessary - Calcium, Magnesium, Idoine Strontium...

Coral 1 quite difficult to kill. Just it will not look too healthy.

Coral 2 also quite difficult to kill. Even if it does not open for 2 weeks, it will regenerate on day, given the condition to be right. Your pix shows not opening but definitely not dead. Dead star burst I think is a little brownish not purple...

Coral 3 will be tough to survive in your tank consider your condition and knowledge.

Dun know what LFS you went to but I think it sucks. Consider if they recommend coral for your just cycled tank and says ur lights is perfect is totally baseless. If your tank and lights is less than 200 dollars, chances is that they lied. Coral 3 worst, they just want you to kill it.

You have a long way to go, my friend, come SRC more often to learn lah. :D

Equipment:

30G Corner Tank with 10G Sump, 2 x 24W artinic T5, 1 x 24W 10K, 1x 24W 20K, 3" Grade 0 sand & Live rocks, Activated Carbon, Bio-home, 2 x Seio M620, Hailea 1/2HP Chiller, Redsea Pro Skimmer

Live Stock:

Turbo Snail x 1, Green Mandarin Dragonet X 2, Blue Tang X 2, True percular x 2, 1 x Algae Bleenie, Clarke clown x 2

Reef:

1 x 2" Blue maxima, Red/Brown/Purple Mushroom (Discosoma), Pink Ricordea yuma, A little colony Brown/Green common Zoanthus, Red/Pink/Green US Zoanthus, Eagle-eye Zoathus, 14 Branch Goniopora Pandoraensis, 1 Starburst Polyps, 3 + 2 Branch Frogspawn, 4 Blasto, palythoa, Cheato

RIPs (Since June 2005):

1. Sabae clown (KO by Clarke clown) 2. 1 branch melted frogspawn 4 branch 3. Golden maxima (Ripe the base off rock by me) 4. Algae Bleenie x 2 (Starvation) 5. Blue Maxima x 1, 2 x Maxima, 1 x frogspawn, rics (Overtemp...)

Old 30G Corner Tank.

Restarted 30G Corner Tank.

• SRC Member

For wave maker, u can get a SEIO 620 for ur 2-feet tank size (15 gal). Equipment wise, i would recommend Pasir Ris (Lor Halus area) since u stay in the sunny-EAST; when u enter pasir ris farmway2, turn left, find the shop with a parrot outside (its their feng-shui watch-bird). Very well-stock marine equipment store with knowledgeable staff and good service.

Likewise, u can also try Reborn (@ Lavender) or Aqua Marin (Jalan Kayu).

Coral 3 is NOT for ur tank yet. Remove asap before u kill it. Good luck and reef onz~

dancing_girl2.gifSpirit.gif

Someone selling SEIO 610 at the Pasar Malam section. Go quick!

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica