Jervis' Percula 90

jervismun

The back compartments... I think I might have been influenced by my Nano Cube... :look:

post-34-1144163858.jpg

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

nice tank!

love the sleek look, any plans for adding a hood(to prevent carpet surfers)?

with your enthusiasm, in 1 year, your tank should be TOTM quality

what u plan to keep? SPS or LPS?

:bow:

I have not decided on a hood yet... hehe TOTM quality? Em... I'll be crossing my fingers all the way... I think I will explore a bit more different kinds of LS before deciding whether to go SPS or LPS... again, it can always be a combination of both. Actually, I have this dream of having a really natural looking reef... where things grow everywhere, not arranged deliberately... oh I have many plans... so just need to choose one and stick to it :)

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

Great setup and a great fan of aquamedic and tunze .

Thanks bro... still trying to put pieces of equipments together... will have to get some rubber tubes after work today to continue...

Will get Sg level to 1.022 tonight. Will also transfer some water from my Nanocube to the main tank (vice versa) to start the cycle. Will add in some starter bacterias too. Also, planning to transfer a few pieces of small LR from my NC's back compartments into the new tank's back compartment.

Need to speed things up coz need to collect LR from a bro this Saturday... sorry bro to keep u waiting :paiseh:

nice nice tank!!! go on and be TOTM!!!

Thanks bro... definitely TOTM... for May 2020!!! :P

Another "Brokeback Fishtank" day :heh:

Sg is now 1.021 (using Aqua Media Reef Salt)

Will do basic parameter testings later.

Moved the following from my Nano to Perc90:

1. 1-month old Chemipure (will throw in a new bag back into Nano tomorrow)

2. Sponges

3. 3 pieces of LR

4. Tiny bit of sand

5. Chaetomorpha (into the right compartment aka refugium)

I hope this will help transfer some bacteria over to the new tank... speeding the cycle.

Added some Aquapharm Bacteria Starter (I used this for my nano). Let the cycle begins :eyebrow:

post-34-1144249105.jpg

My refugium... temporarily hanging a 1ft PL outside the tank (vertically) as lighting for my Chaeto. The PL will run 24 hours for the next few days. Again, I hope this will help introduce some extra bacteria and get rid of some undesirable nutrients in the water.

post-34-1144249337.jpg

Full tank view :) The Tunze Magnetic Cleaner is there to remove the bubbles accumulated on the glass panel. The lower left corner is the control panel for Tunze Osmolator (water top-up device). Starting to look at wiring also coz there are so many wires and cables around :ooh:

post-34-1144249525.jpg

jervis, is the tunze magnet strong? i m currently using magfloat, kinda weak to me. sori, off topic.

Bro Tigger, Tunze has a stronger version (for thicker glass) if u wanna consider. For me, can't really tell as my glass is still very clean right now, have not try removing tough algae. Bought this some time ago, can't use it on my NC coz it is too strong. It's hard to move the magnet without shaking the whole NC. Hope this helps.

Just finish transferring 15% of my Nano's water to Perc90.

Parameters:

Sg: 1.022

pH: 8.0

Ammonia: <0.3

Will get 2 pieces of medium size uncured rock from LFS after work tomorrow to kick-start the ANN cycle. Let it rot for 3 days, then introduce a large amount of cured LR this Saturday (must collect from bro already, his deal confirmed last weekend).

Will look at other parameters like Nitrates and Nitrites on Friday.

Pix: My Pico tank, lol!!!

post-34-1144255499.jpg

• SRC Member

dear jervismun...

your tank's looking good. congrats...

just a few things wanted to point out. I don;t want to get into the complex subject of DSB or plenum. but it just looks like you have chosen to have have a rather shallow substrate. Its either that or there is a recess below the tank where the rest of the sand is hidden.

a shallow substrate can give problems as collecting deritus. However if a DSB doesn't turn you on...(personally i think the deeper parts can look ugly over time) try to put at least a depth of 2 inches.

With at least 2 inches you can achieve oxygen poor areas of the sandbed under the rocks. I believe you would be able to achieve a more stable water chemistry with this.

jon

Great to se(a) that you are coming some where

I winder what uncured rock cost overthere

Here in sweden 1kg cost from 120Skr-200Skr (24SGD-40SGD)

So here is a expensive hobby to fill upp the tank with rock and corals :cry2:

dear jervismun...

just a few things wanted to point out. I don;t want to get into the complex subject of DSB or plenum. but it just looks like you have chosen to have have a rather shallow substrate. Its either that or there is a recess below the tank where the rest of the sand is hidden.

a shallow substrate can give problems as collecting deritus. However if a DSB doesn't turn you on...(personally i think the deeper parts can look ugly over time) try to put at least a depth of 2 inches.

With at least 2 inches you can achieve oxygen poor areas of the sandbed under the rocks. I believe you would be able to achieve a more stable water chemistry with this.

jon

Bro thanks for your suggestion... yes the bottom of the tank is wrapped by a plastic skirting. So there are more sand hidden from view (which I like). Definitely more than 2" thick.

So here is a expensive hobby to fill upp the tank with rock and corals  :cry2:

Yeah Wrang... under the se(a) lol!

The last time I asked was about $3 to $4/kg. We are not talking about high quality ones of course. Yeah extremely expensive over your side... one thing I don't quite understand really... I downloaded Tunze's catalogue (with Euro pricing) and the listed selling price in Singapore is around 30% cheaper after the currency conversion. You can check out www.reefdepot.com.sg

Probably the standard of living in most parts of Europe is so much higher... yeah don't remind how much I paid for a bottle of coke in London :ooh: I can buy half a dozen here!!!

dear jervismun...

jon

my tank only has 1 inch to create the look . but the sandbed is still okie . with no3 and po4 under control , the algae and deritus should not be a prob .

with 2 powerful skimmer , i think the above 2 parameter can be under control .

i know DSB work , but if it is in main tank , overtime it will become a bit ugly with the sulphite build up .

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

So here is a expensive hobby to fill upp the tank with rock and corals :cry2:

that is so so ex.

normal LR here cost aroung 5-8 dollars per kg

tonga around 18 dollars .

. :)

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

Thanks bro Hammy, yeah with both Aqua Medic and Tunze skimmers running, I think extra nutrients shouldn't pose too much of a threat (with proper hunsbandry of course). Combined, the 2 skimmers can comfortably handle 300 gallons, that is more than 3 times my current setup. Over skimming can be a concern too... so most probably will have periodic skimming for one of the skimmers instead (especially at the initial stages).

• SRC Member

think there is no need to skim during cycling. idea is to let as much things rot in there as possible...

heard from a someone the best way is to throw all leftovers from dinner in... :idea::idea::idea:

haha juz kidding..

think there is no need to skim during cycling. idea is to let as much things rot in there as possible...

heard from a someone the best way is to throw all leftovers from dinner in... :idea::idea::idea:

haha juz kidding..

Just switched on the AM skimmer last night for setting/testing the water level... yeah will not run the skimmer or else no matter how many market prawns I throw in... it will end up stinking in the collection cup. Also, skimming will also extract the bacterias I dosed in...

Yes! 15 minutes more... will drop by RB/PR after work... need to buy 2 pieces of uncured LR and a pack of carbon in case the smell is too unbearable... update u guys tonight :rolleyes:

• SRC Member

bro!

u placed in the chaeto during your cycling stage to get rid of nutrients?

find it funny as during the cycling stage you would want to kick start the cycle of the ANN

just found it pretty wierd