Do you have problem keeping them?

• SRC Member

I had 2 red firefish and 3 spotted cardinalfish once. The firefish no problems, just provide places in the live rock where they can hide in else when chased or frightened, they will jump out of tank.

The spotted cardinalfish is also chased, then they hide. Unfortunately, 1 died due to lack of ability to get food after 2 weeks. Now the remainder 2 has not problems. They co-exist happily with my Blue Tang, Foxface, Rusty Angel, 2 clownfish, 2 gobies.

I guess if you have bigger fishes, they will chase the smaller ones.

I have 2 red firefish in my tank too and they been surviving for more than 2 months. They like to hang out at the top corner of my tank. But they do tend to get chased by my gamma. Once, one of them leaped out of my tank while being chased eventhough my tank is mostly covered. Luckily i saw it on my floor and managed to put it back. So once you managed to keep them alive, Make sure they dun kamikaze.. :)

• SRC Member
:angry: These two types of fish survive less than two week in my 4ft tank. My water parameter is alright and my BT, YT and other fishes are all right too.

I have lost a total of 15 firefish and cardinal! :angry::angry::angry:

Is this fish very difficult to keep?

Help! :paiseh: THANKS :bow:

Hrmz, do you have enough hiding places in the LRS for them? They are very timid fishes and not really suitable to keep with aggressive fishes. And oh, they have a reputation for jumping out of the tank too. Did yours jump out or died in the tank?

My Newbie Tank Thread

My Blog

All pics taken with CanoN!~

• SRC Member

Maybe show a pic of your tank (a full tank shot). I know there was once I did a re-scape by rearranging the rocks, then the firefish of course hide into the rocks. And then after 2 days, I did not see it. So I panic and have to physically take out most of the rocks, just to discover that they are hiding under the rocks. They can really really hide.

There was this one other situation where I went to a fellow reefer house to collect corals because he is closing hsi tank due to house-shifting. I wanted 2 of his firefish. He then proceed to take out his tonga branches and live rocks, managed to catch the 1st, but cannot find the 2nd. His tank is only a 2ft, after taking out all the rocks, still cannot find the firefish - it appears to have vanish into the thin air.

Just to ask, is the fish hiding somewhere, or you have some other livestcok that catches and eats small fishes? :lol::lol:

• SRC Member

he's asking purple firefish aka flame goby.. these go for $12-15 each :(

bought like 10 liao.. 10% survival rate though.. but 60% death was my fault.. too eager to add fishes etcetc..

got 1 fine specimen now for 1/2 year liao.. thinking of getting another one

aquatronica7na.gif

• SRC Member

:cry2: Sad Sad Sad :cry2: just after taking this picture in the morning, I went away for half an hour, and came back to find this firefish on the floor. Of course I picked it up and only to discover its body floating in the water. :cry::cry:

It has been in this 1ft pico tank in my office with the dottyback, been chasing and having a "fight" every day when they appear for food.

Yes, the price of a Purple firefish is about $8-$10 each while a normal firefish is only $4-$6.

It is sad to see such beautiful fishes jump out and die. Yes, of course I know that they can jump, that's why I have a plastic cover. I also give a little gap so that there is some ventilation - keeps the temperature down. So this fella must have "aim" accurately then it jumped out and flopped around a bit before landing on the floor. Poor Thing!!!

post-6-1145405630.jpg

• SRC Member

I had a 2 orange firefish that jumped out snd as purple one that vanished. Even my scissor-tail dartfish jumped out. my conclusion is that all those streamlined gobies will jump out. Even after addin eggcrate covering. So noe I just don't buy those anymore.

But my 2 cardinals one bangai and one pyjama have been with me close 10 mths now and growing bigger day by day.

Just bought a pair yesteday... wish me luck :P

post-6-1145714911.jpg

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

mine were horribly shy (purple firefish), so shy that the other fishes probably bullied them to extinction...

Yeah the smaller specimen is very shy... and now missing in action :(

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member
Maybe show a pic of your tank (a full tank shot). I know there was once I did a re-scape by rearranging the rocks, then the firefish of course hide into the rocks. And then after 2 days, I did not see it. So I panic and have to physically take out most of the rocks, just to discover that they are hiding under the rocks. They can really really hide.

There was this one other situation where I went to a fellow reefer house to collect corals because he is closing hsi tank due to house-shifting. I wanted 2 of his firefish. He then proceed to take out his tonga branches and live rocks, managed to catch the 1st, but cannot find the 2nd. His tank is only a 2ft, after taking out all the rocks, still cannot find the firefish - it appears to have vanish into the thin air.

Just to ask, is the fish hiding somewhere, or you have some other livestcok that catches and eats small fishes? :lol::lol:

pic of my tank. 4*2*2.5ft, temp 27.8 - 28.3 Oc, age = 6 month.

post-6-1145785656.jpg

You 3 bengais are so pretty... such a waste :unsure:

• SRC Member

used to have a rocket fish( part of the dartfish family), "fired" itself out of the tank...twice in two different nights....lucky i heard the water sound even when im slping :D

the 3rd time...cant hear :fear: ....died in the end :cry2:

also have a colored cardinal.....been in my tank for months....competing with my tangs and wrasses for food.... :)

IMO....if u intend to keep any dartfishes....juz make sure u cover well the hood....that should be ok le :peace: