Algae

jackal

• SRC Member

Why is sandbed infested with brown algae? I tried phrosphate remover, change water regularly, suck out the affected sand n decrease my feeding.

N03 is about 30-40ppm, SG 1.025, Ph 8.5, dKH 7, CA 430ppm, MG 1230ppm.

Blue Light 11hrs, MH 6hrs.

Other corals and fishes doing well.

Plse give advice. Thank you :peace:

post-7-1151577357.jpg

my solution, get reef helpers

1) black sea cucumber, turbo snails, blue legged hermit crabs

2) divert your water flow to "blow" gently on your sand bed without disturbing your corals!!

3) if you are using tap water for your salt mix, use a filteration....R/O is best ( I am using 3 cannister filters to exclude silicates and some phosphates

vipersig.jpg

i bought a watchman goby and it eats and spits out sand, so now not so bad.very fun to watch. like construction worker like that. haha.

but my glass sometimes got this brown thing also. have to use those magnetic cleaner to swipe here and there..sianz..

my PO4 measurement is 0 leh.

You might have a problem with your tank silicate levels :)

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

phosphate, silicate and nitrate lor ..

fertilizer for pasky algae.

increase the flow.

some turbo snail may help :)

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

• SRC Member

Wave water flow no problem,strong enough. Cant blow towards the sand cuz tank will be cloudy wz sand. Got 1 sea cucumber n 2 turbo sails doing OT.

Dont hv silicate test kit. If that the problem,what the solution???

Glass also got it growing. Mayb its the light.

What is cannister filter tat help to exclude silicates and some phosphates? Name brands and where to get. I got a water treatment system but is for drinking.

Plse give more help :peace:

You can lower silicate levels by doing regular water changes with DI water and running silicate absorbing media.

If all goes well, the diatoms will deplete the silicate levels in your tank and then die off.

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

• SRC Member
Why is sandbed infested with brown algae? I tried phrosphate remover, change water regularly, suck out the affected sand n decrease my feeding.

Not sure if i remember correctly. The sand turns brown due to bacteria activity. As to y it happens can't really remember.

My sand was like that in the initial stages but after that it becomes less n less.

I think the best sand shifters to get is the sand stars. grey in colour.

Really hard working. Won't shift yr rocks.

hi, blueheaven,

what do u mean by silicate absorbing media?

i have a Skimz FR running with SORB-4. does that mean i need another FR to run the silicate absorbing media or can i dump the silicate absorbing media together with current SORB-4?

thanks.

• SRC Member

my tank used to have quite a bit of diatoms. they slowly disappeared, though they still appear on the glass and sand.. but still bearable la.

anyway now i got even more pesky green algae growth. those type that very hard to come off one.

any suggestions as to how to rid them? or prevent their growth???

Nice ! jackal....I get those green algae growth at my water edge, I scrape those , I ran a refugium full of chaeto's and some grapes, and a rowaphos fluidised reactor...guess it is the light and my over feeding conditons that promote such growth.My starfishes and turbo snails seems to enjoy them though...so I left it as it is! In my refugium I find that allowing it to run without my hands disturbing them , the macro algaes grows nicely!!!

vipersig.jpg

got a weird qns here. does snails eat coralline aglae? i don't think so right?

Haha... fortunately nope :P

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

Wow! Nice Anemone and Pair Clown :)

Ok here's what I think:

1) Your NO3 a tad high... although nothing to do with your current problem... try to bring it down to <10ppm

2) dKH also a tad low

3) Magnesium is nice!!! Haiz... mine very sad lor... that's why I need a CR soon.

4) If you are using TAP WATER (just like me, although I used domestic water filter)... dun thing changing water regularly will help much... coz in the process we are introducing back the depleted nutrients and silicate... to feed the algaes ;)

5) Some Silicate removing media is good... I am also planning to run some... at least to remove the silicate from the freshwater bucket (for top up and salt mixing). Any particular brand to go for? IS it healthy to run it 24/7 in the main tank just like Rowaphos/Activated Carbon?

Bros with experience... appreciate your help and recommendations.

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

I think lighting plays a strong part in algae! For my tank, even though NO3 and PO4 is almost undectectable, I can still see algae forming on the tank walls and LR!

Juz my 2 cents!