ATI Twister M Protein Skimmer

jervismun

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member
Bro, every moving part will wear out one day.

EDIT: Anyway, bro lyz, WHY ARE WE WAITING!? :evil::evil::P

get bubble king then..hehe the nw make of some special material

I am just an average FR (fish reefing) writer. If you like my FRs, please upz my points.

• SRC Member

Bro Loster

Perhaps I have not been in the hobby long enough... but I've came across a few cases where the reefers accidentally broken some pins while dismantling/washing/assembling during their scheduled maintenance... so I take it as Needle Wheel will "break" if handled improperly. And of course, some impellers are better than others... that I can be certain of.

Here's something I read previously that suggests to me... Needle Wheel impeller does need replacement even for the superior Deltec brand.

Here's an extraction from their website: http://www.deltecaquariumsolutions.com/skimmers.php

If anyone has a pinwheel impellor that has become damaged due to them standing on it or to long term wear from grit in the pump then we will provide them with a replacement at a reduced price on an exchange basis.

Details are as follows:

Exchange price for Aquabee models - £35.00 - (normally £45).

Exchange price for Eheim - £55.00 - (normally £75)

As for the ATI Thread Wheel... I am not denying the maintenance/replacement part... but the chances of a reefer accidentally damaged/break the "wire mesh" is pretty remote... I got a feeling the impeller will not be affected if a reefer is to accidentally drop the impeller or step on it... unlike Needle Wheel (as suggested by Deltec).

Perhaps I didn't make it very clear the last time round... sorry for the confusion :)

ok... i know that any mechanical parts will wear and tear after sometime of usage. and deltec does give a good support for wear and tear part :) i am sure you have see your NW urself on your deltec skimmer that you are using. have you "feel" the pinwheel? do you think it will break easy if you use it properly?

we can make any statement we want but we must take responsiblility of the words we said :) but beside hearing what people say this and that... can you provd above statement you made? the attach you link does not prove anything...

age.png

ok... i know that any mechanical parts will wear and tear after sometime of usage. and deltec does give a good support for wear and tear part :) i am sure you have see your NW urself on your deltec skimmer that you are using. have you "feel" the pinwheel? do you think it will break easy if you use it properly?

we can make any statement we want but we must take responsiblility of the words we said :) but beside hearing what people say this and that... can you provd above statement you made? the attach you link does not prove anything...

Repeating the same message extracted from Deltec's website:

If anyone has a pinwheel impellor that has become damaged due to them standing on it or to long term wear from grit in the pump then we will provide them with a replacement at a reduced price on an exchange basis.

From the statement above... it shows that the Deltec Pinwheel is indeed NOT invincible... it will break due to reefers unproper handling (most of the time).

In my previous statement:

As for the ATI Thread Wheel... I am not denying the maintenance/replacement part... but the chances of a reefer accidentally damaged/break the "wire mesh" is pretty remote... I got a feeling the impeller will not be affected if a reefer is to accidentally drop the impeller or step on it... unlike Needle Wheel (as suggested by Deltec).

So there I made it clear that based on my observation of the "wire mesh" construction of the ATI Threadwheel... it is not made of a molded plastic material therefore will not break due to the brittleness of the material. I also believe that the "wire mesh" will not break if a reefer is to accidentally step on it as it is just a pile of "wire mesh"... probably if the weight is too much, it may break the entire impeller, but not specifically on the "wire mesh".

For Deltec to mention "due to them stepping on it" in their website shows that it happens (if not in multiple cases in Deltec's history.

I think I am clear enough and I don't think I am making any wrong/unfair remarks to Deltec. As I have continuously mentioned... due to accidents normally caused by reefers themselves... you can say what you want bro Loster, but I believe I've made my claim clear and justified.

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

Ok... here are the long-awaited updates... have to rewind back to last Sunday morning...

Here's how my Baby looks like inside bro Lyz77's sump tank :lol:

To better test my Baby, bro Lyz77 sacrificed by disconnecting his existing protein skimmer :bow:

post-14-1154534773.jpg

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

We have elevated the skimmer by a few centimetres using a big piece of thick black sponge as the water in the sump tank is too high. Best kept betwee 20 to 25cm from floor up. We initially switched on the skimmer (without the sponge) and the pump rattles loudly as the sump water exceeds the mouth of the water outlet (the grey PVC part).

post-14-1154535074.jpg

Bubbles :) forcing through the perforated plate... honestly both of us expect the bubbles to be more abundant... but again... what to expect from a 11W pump? Let's observe a little longer before jumping into conclusions... :lol:

(Note: To really appreciate the 11W power consumption, it is nice to know that this skimmer will only costs me $1.50/month to run)

post-14-1154535343.jpg

The so-called "ice cream" effect... not too bad for an initial start up... :)

post-14-1154535441.jpg

After I took the previous shot... I put back the collection cup and moved the skimmer so that it doesn't take up too much of bro Lyz77's sump space... before I left his place... I managed to capture his cute little BT... sleeping :snore::snore::snore:

post-14-1154535660.jpg

Bro Lyz77 kept me informed of the progress at least 3 times via sms that day :bow: and we were both surprised by the fact that there isn't any visible skimmate :shock: I guess taking a couple of hours to kick-in is kinda acceptable... so we waited for the next day :)

Will continue this review tomorrow... stay tuned :thanks:

• SRC Member

Repeating the same message extracted from Deltec's website:

From the statement above... it shows that the Deltec Pinwheel is indeed NOT invincible... it will break due to reefers unproper handling (most of the time).

In my previous statement:

So there I made it clear that based on my observation of the "wire mesh" construction of the ATI Threadwheel... it is not made of a molded plastic material therefore will not break due to the brittleness of the material. I also believe that the "wire mesh" will not break if a reefer is to accidentally step on it as it is just a pile of "wire mesh"... probably if the weight is too much, it may break the entire impeller, but not specifically on the "wire mesh".

For Deltec to mention "due to them stepping on it" in their website shows that it happens (if not in multiple cases in Deltec's history.

I think I am clear enough and I don't think I am making any wrong/unfair remarks to Deltec. As I have continuously mentioned... due to accidents normally caused by reefers themselves... you can say what you want bro Loster, but I believe I've made my claim clear and justified.

ok... so, your observation and perception on the NW is base on the statement that made by the deltec website :)

i agree with you, any of the part break usually cos by mishandling :) so far, i have been using NW for 2 over yr and i hardly take it out and clean it cos i don't have to :P and i will see how long the NW can go on :P hope that i will be the 1st person in the forum to report that my NW has finally wear and tear due to the long time of service :lol:

anyway, interesting review of the low power consumption threadwheel pump. $1.50 per month is really :yeah: more pic coming kie :lol:

age.png

ok... so, your observation and perception on the NW is base on the statement that made by the deltec website :)

i agree with you, any of the part break usually cos by mishandling :) so far, i have been using NW for 2 over yr and i hardly take it out and clean it cos i don't have to :P and i will see how long the NW can go on :P hope that i will be the 1st person in the forum to report that my NW has finally wear and tear due to the long time of service :lol:

anyway, interesting review of the low power consumption threadwheel pump. $1.50 per month is really :yeah: more pic coming kie :lol:

Hi bro Loster, I also based my observation on comments by overseas reefers previously using NW (not necessarily Deltec) switched to the ATI Threadwheel. These comments can be found at both www.riffaquaristikforum.de and www.zeovit.com under ATI sponsor section. And I've also heard of local reefers accidentally broke their needlewheels and looking for replacements (which can be very costly most of the time).

Yes the power consumption for this skimmer is exceptionally low... that is the main draw for me... however as observed by both bro Lyz77 and me... the bubbles produced do not seem abundant... perhaps the pump is underpowered, perhaps I installed it incorrectly... will update you guys more tonight :)

hi Jervis

the reason that this ATI's pump is drawing such low wattage is due to the fact that there is very low to almost no resistance. there is basically no paddles for it to push against. rotation of this unit is also universal, both ways unless there's a catch to ensure that it rotates the same direction. could u check on the impeller's Jervis??

if not then it's a symentrically designed for either direction of flow during startup. the material used in this ???? impeller is quite stiff and is most likely a construction material, known as EN???? Mat. replacment of this twister impellers bristtle are available in Singapore. it only uses cable ties to secure in place right?? pls correct me if i'm wrong

hi Jervis

the reason that this ATI's pump is drawing such low wattage is due to the fact that there is very low to almost no resistance. there is basically no paddles for it to push against. rotation of this unit is also universal, both ways unless there's a catch to ensure that it rotates the same direction. could u check on the impeller's Jervis??

if not then it's a symentrically designed for either direction of flow during startup. the material used in this ???? impeller is quite stiff and is most likely a construction material, known as EN???? Mat. replacment of this twister impellers bristtle are available in Singapore. it only uses cable ties to secure in place right?? pls correct me if i'm wrong

Emm... bro Acontia... you are right about the "non resistance/friction" design that ATI's boss Oliver Pritzer mentioned in one of his posts in www.riffaquaristikforum.de. As the Twister is not with me right now, I can only confirm some of your questions at a later stage. Some of your questions are way too technical for me to answer but if I come across any technical information... I will share with you guys :)

One thing for sure, yes cable ties... you can see it in a close up pix of the Thread Wheel I posted last week :)

jervis, can post a link to the ATI website in english version?

thanks.

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

6X2.5X2.5 FT Tank : 4x2x2 ft sump : 2x1x2 ft refugim

Skimmer: Deltec AP851

Calcium Reactor:

Lightings: Aqualight T5 Retrofit, 150 watt MH X2

Chiller: Hailea HC-500A model w/ Aquabee 2000

Ozonizer: Hailea HLO-300 Digital ozonizer

Wavemaker: Tunze 6080, Tunze 6060

Return Pumps: Aquabee 5000 x2

Other equipments: Aquabee 2000, Quietone 1200, 5L Co2 Cylinder w/ Dupla regulator

American Marine Wireless Thermometer

Reefing is a dedication, not a competition.

• SRC Member
To better test my Baby, bro Lyz77 sacrificed by disconnecting his existing protein skimmer :bow:

Bro Lyz77 should be awarded more for his sacrifice...a cup of skimmate or leave the skimmer at his place.....4ever...

I am just an average FR (fish reefing) writer. If you like my FRs, please upz my points.

jervis, can post a link to the ATI website in english version?

thanks.

Bro there isn't a English version (and don't ask me why ;)) but you can go to search using G or Y, and use their translation function to translate the entire German site (roughly lah)...

Best is still translate the www.riffaquaristikforum.de under ATI sponsor section... over there you can read Oliver Pritzer (ATI's boss) introduce his own product and Q&A :lol:

Bro Lyz77 should be awarded more for his sacrifice...a cup of skimmate or leave the skimmer at his place.....4ever...

I know... he really sacrificed lor... wait till you see tonight's update... a disaster (almost)... shall not reveal too much at the moment :(

Oh dear! So what happened, it is the next morning liao?????

Haha... your morning is really morning lor!!! Bro you wake up so early? ;)

Ok here's the update... It's quite an embarassing one actually, that's the reason I was (and still am) a bit reluctant to share with you guys...

Rewind ---> 5 minutes before I left bro Lyz77's place last Sunday:

Becaused I try not to block his sump tank too much, I moved the skimmer more to the right and I clumsily disconnected the air tube from the top part (the part where they put the cotton wool). The tube dropped and stay within the grey PVC outlet (so didn't notice it). Of course, I didn't know at that time and left his place happily...

So when I received Lyz77 sms "no foam yet"... I was puzzled by it. Of course I didn't ask bro Lyz77 to check the connections as I was pretty confident then. He was also pretty busy last weekend... so we decided to let it run for another day (or two)... the so-called kick-in period.

I think it will be a lot clearer if I show you a pix tonight (in home's computer)... will update again tonight.

:paiseh: Really paiseh leh :paiseh: