2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

bro,

imo red sea salt is one of the not so good choice of sea salt. use marine environment brand which already contains dechlorinator.

it dissolves readily in tap water and would do quite well for a just starting tank. but price is a bit ex.

You guys may want to consider this... TAP WATER IS BAD FOR YOUR TANK... I LEARNED THE HARD WAY ;)

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

NO3 is present in tap water ?!?!? wth .. btw i use tap water also .. :paiseh: DI water in the long run is alittle exp.. i will leave the tap water to stand over nite add alittle anti chlorine and it goes into the sump the next day ... diatom bloom ... or aglae .. the same old scrubbing ...

• SRC Member
Hi

It is going to be expensive if we use DI water for long term use. I understand that the cartridges need to be changed after every 1000 litres of tap water. Can a protein skimmer remove the Phosphate and NO3 which is present in the tap water ?

DI used to be costly but it is much cheaper now. The changing of catridge really depends you tap water quality and of course the amount of water that runs through it. 1000L is an understatement, it should last longer then that.

The protein skimmer can only reduce NO3 before they turn into this form. It can't remove. PO4 requires PO4/Silicate removers. However P04 removers are not cheap , so it may be cheaper to use DI to remove NO3, phosphate, silicate, etc in the tap water then to rely entirely on PO4 removers.

If you don't have too large a tank you can get a distiller for about 150 SGD, about 1 liter per hour output.

Slow I know, but hey you can enjoy a cool clean drink from the water produced. I use it after seeing whats left behind... I feel queasy drinking tap water if offered :sick:

• SRC Member
If you don't have too large a tank you can get a distiller for about 150 SGD, about 1 liter per hour output.

Slow I know, but hey you can enjoy a cool clean drink from the water produced. I use it after seeing whats left behind... I feel queasy drinking tap water if offered :sick:

i tot the taste of distilled water is flat ?

Hi

It is going to be expensive if we use DI water for long term use. I understand that the cartridges need to be changed after every 1000 litres of tap water. Can a protein skimmer remove the Phosphate and NO3 which is present in the tap water ?

Hi everyone. Newbie to salt water aqua here. What if mix half distilled water and half tap water? It'll cost lesser but will it prevent algae? :unsure:

Strongly advise against using water straight from the tap. You gonna have one hell of a algae problem. I know I did. :blink: Try to get distilled water or DI water if possible.

Is distilled water the mineral water we buy in NTUC like Ice Mountain and Evian?

What is DI water?

DI used to be costly but it is much cheaper now. The changing of catridge really depends you tap water quality and of course the amount of water that runs through it. 1000L is an understatement, it should last longer then that.

The protein skimmer can only reduce NO3 before they turn into this form. It can't remove. PO4 requires PO4/Silicate removers. However P04 removers are not cheap , so it may be cheaper to use DI to remove NO3, phosphate, silicate, etc in the tap water then to rely entirely on PO4 removers.

What is the changing of cartridges?

can anyone advise me?

• SRC Member

What is the changing of cartridges?

can anyone advise me?

The DI unit contains resin that needs to be replaced in order to treat the water from tap... :lol:

view my 2ft tank thread update here!!

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=36399

Tank Dimension: 24'x15'x19' with black silicon. All round 8mm.

Equipments:

Return Pump : Hailea HX6540

Skimmer/Chiller : Sicce 2500lph

Skimmer : Weipro 2011

Lightings: 4xT5s HO..2 20,000k & 2 Blue Pro(Aquaz) Retrofits

Chiller : Resun CL280

Auto Water Top Up

Life Stock:

More then 35kg of figi rocks

Blue Tang, Powder Blue Tang, Bristletooth tang, Clown Tang, Yellow Tang, Purple Tang, Flame Angel, Six Line Wrasse, Sunrise Dottyback. 2 Cleaner Shrimp

Green Bubble, Orange Yuma, Hammer, True Octopus, Acans,

Frogspawn, Green/Orange Cyannaria, Red Prata, Red Open Brain, Star Polyp, Acan Enchinata

• 4 months later...
  • SRC Member
Car battery is distilled water. DI water is water which has gone through purification process using DI resin.

So is it harmful to use the distilled water for car battery in the tank? Is it better than using tap water? :P Cause I got lobang to get distilled water for car battery.