Marine plant/algae in a fowler's tank

eDen

Thinking of adding some marine plant/algae to my tank because live rock without corals looks abit boring, so thinking of adding some colour to the tank. At the same time, could be food to some of the fishes. Is this recommended? Have anybody tried it?

• SRC Member

Any form of algae or plant is welcomed in a marine tank. Turtleweed and "red bamboo" algae is a good choice.

But if you think again, actually corals are also good in a FOWLR tank. But just that you are feeding your fishes very expensive food!

*translated from Hokkien*

"If say no bang wall, this idiot will never ripen" - Mr Quah Siew Kow.

• SRC Member
  • 2 weeks later...

Nope, red plants and green plants are both able to survive well in a reef or FOWLR aquarium. Please do place any corals in a FOWLR tank. As you already intend to keep fishes only, meaning you do not wish to focus much on water parameters, please don't place corals. Corals are not meant to be food for fishes. Fishes can survive well without corals as diet. If you keep fishes like tang, you can try out fern caulerpa, they are less likely to be eaten by herbivores fishes, and they suck up nutrients fast. Don't get red bamboo or red grapes, tangs/fox face or some other herbivore fishes can finish one whole rock in one day. But of course, if your do not have herbivore fishes, then any plants are wlcome to your tank. Make sure you give them enough light, if you are using T8, make sure they don't turn brown. Best is to provide them with T5s or MH.

• 4 weeks later...
  • SRC Member
Thinking of adding some marine plant/algae to my tank because live rock without corals looks abit boring, so thinking of adding some colour to the tank. At the same time, could be food to some of the fishes. Is this recommended? Have anybody tried it?

In my MOST honest opinion, if you just want some colour, just buy some plastic plants. There are some plastic plants that do look like the algae/corals that is like real. Think about it.

If you have other fishes, then red bamboo lokks great, and if your water parameters is okay, they will grow well. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member
Bro, is CO2 needed for marine plants?

as with all plants, and the process of photosynthesis, CO2 is definitely required. The question is how much is required ?

CO2 is only part of the equation to keeping good plants, there is lights and there is also the amount of nurients and the trave elements that plants need.

Having said that, the variety of fresh greenery for salt water is very limited, not like fresh water.

I have attached my turkeyweed.. this have been thriving in my tank for around 1 weeks already.. but I can also see that its turning slightly brown... I have placed it under strong currents and also just below my T4 lighting.

Someone mentioned about adding plastic plants. I know, I get the same feelings too, that its not real. ;) BUT.. what he said is totally true.. if its color you want, plastic plants are really the best way to go, besides, plastic is super tolerant on water parameters and no need feeding and no need nutrients.. :lol:

Good luck in your search! :)

post-8-1165287830.jpg

• SRC Member
How dose a fern caulerpa look like ??? Any one got a pic ????

http://www.nature.com/news/2005/050321/images/algae.jpg

this is a fern caulerpa. Give you a tip, next time got any name don't know. just GOOGLE for the images! hahahahahha!

Hey i'm thinking of putting this fern in my tank too!

--------------------------------------------------

The Deep Blue Sea in my HDB

http://myfishyroomates.blogspot.com

---------------------------------------------

The Deep Blue Sea in My HDB!

http://myfishyroomates.blogspot.com

• SRC Member

Irwana selling these ferns, 3 rocks for $10... but gotta let you guys know.. these ferns turn yellow very fast, so you need to provide all the necessary stuff like CO2 and adequate lighting.. as I am told.. this type of fern, people usually put in the refugium.

You can try putting some kelp.. these are easy to grow too.