sump

RMX

• SRC Member

May I suggest and overflow? An overflow lets you skim surface water from your main tank into your sump.

You can get an hang-on overflow or if possible, the best way is to drill the tank, but this is difficult.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

That's a pretty good idea!

Alternatively, you don't need a corner overflow, you only need to drill a hole near the top corner of your tank and fit a bulkhead with screen.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member
I got a 2ft tank hooked to a 2ft sump using a DIY overflow... maybe these pics can give you guys some ideas... :)

How exactly does this thing suck water up? Using water pressure or pump?

Any schematics, i am still deciding on a filtration system for my 2ft tank. I got a spare 1.5ft tank tt i am using to mix water.

• SRC Member

Just plain difference in water level... look at the side view pic... the water level in the overflow box is much higher than the water level at the back collection box.. thing to note is that the c-siphon must always be filled with water at all times....

to get it started, you must submerse the whole thing into water and rid the c-siphon of any air.... but after this initial once and only once pain, its self starting....

• SRC Member

i see, is there any such device selling commercially?

also what are the 2 tubes at the external overflow compartment for? Does the water flow down to a bottom sump tank?

Any more pics of ur tanks to view? Sorrys for asking so much but i am in the midst of setting up a 15 gallon 2ft tank. Having a hang on filter now.

• SRC Member

Seen a few US Sites selling professional overflow boxes but its > US$100++. Crazy to spend this kind of money!

Take a look at - http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/diyoverflows. It will give you some ideas. I tried doing on previously and it does work. Look around those S$1 shops for suitable plastic boxes. The difficult part to find is the U-shape pipings. Eheim has u-shaped pipes that you cut but its quite pricy.

• SRC Member
i see, is there any such device selling commercially?

also what are the 2 tubes at the external overflow compartment for? Does the water flow down to a bottom sump tank?

Any more pics of ur tanks to view? Sorrys for asking so much but i am in the midst of setting up a 15 gallon 2ft tank. Having a hang on filter now.

Yes it is connected to a sump....actually you can only have one tube, but for mine the outflow rate of the overflow is too small, so i added one more....

Ok i guess you are more interested in the sump... here's it.... any comments? Was wondering if the "everywhere sand" concept helps in reducing nitrates or not....

post-6-1039283604.jpg

• SRC Member
Yes it is connected to a sump....actually you can only have one tube, but for mine the outflow rate of the overflow is too small, so i added one more....

Ok i guess you are more interested in the sump... here's it.... any comments? Was wondering if the "everywhere sand" concept helps in reducing nitrates or not....

Y not have 6" DSB through out? ;)

see tt you sectioned the sump... a bigger surface area improves the

de-nitratification better rite??

Mine is also something like tt, but me more on budget, so using a huge plastic tub instead :rolleyes:

• SRC Member

RMX, the tube are for my skimmer...

zerocool... u r indeed observant... What actually happened was that i underestimated the amount of sand that i need thats why at one side its only 3 inch....

a plastic tube and a 2ft five plan.. price difference only about $10 right? save on 2 mac meal and get soemthing presentable la... heh heh

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

I am thinking of customising a 1ft x 0.5 x 1.5ft glass refugium for my 2 ft tank. it will provide me a place to put my heater + protein skimmer. It will be 1.5ft high as it will be side by side with my main tank, it will have a overflow piping for the water to return to the tank.

Is this idea economical? Is it also advised to put a DSB in my refugium? Will this lower nitrates?

• SRC Member
Just curious,

Why do u need another box on the outside of the tank? I thought the u shaped tube can suck all the water from the internal box all the way into the sump below? Thanks.

TTboy

U definitely need the external box because it is needed to maintain the water level of the internal overflow box so as not to let it fall below the C-siphon inlet... else it will not be self starting...

Blueterror

i think the dimensions that you are going to have is too small and it might not be worth the effort.. imagine throwing sand in, u'll not be increasing the water vol by a significant amt, furthermore, even though you can have a mini DSB, but the surface area maybe too small to see any effects.. .. idea is that i feel its just too small for the whole effort.. is there a typo?? HEATER???!!!!

Watch out for siphon overflows as you might end up with a flooded floor. Unless you have a perfectly balanced overflow these things will give you problems.

What I did the last time is have a glass store cut some glass around 6 inches x the lenght and depth of the tank and stuck them around the tank to raised the tank height. On the back leave out a gap where you can make a glass box with a drilled hole for the drain. The principle is to use it as an overflow box but mounted behind the tank.

• SRC Member

Tanks in aircon room need heaters or else once the lights go off, the water temperature can get very low.

post-36-1093875548.jpg