Cheap T5 Light set at Aquarama

reef2

• SRC Member

Check it out at Aquarama, I got my 2 ft T5 set (1 white 12KK + 1 Blue with full casing) for only $45. I think 3 feet going for $58 only. I was told that they come with E-Ballest too. Both this set for my mushroom + fish tank. I must say that it is not as bright as Deltec or ATI, but it good enough for mushroom :D

Bro,

You sure it is T5.The tube itself cost more than that.

Regards

Sherman

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

• SRC Member
Check it out at Aquarama, I got my 2 ft T5 set (1 white 12KK + 1 Blue with full casing) for only $45. I think 3 feet going for $58 only. I was told that they come with E-Ballest too. Both this set for my mushroom + fish tank. I must say that it is not as bright as Deltec or ATI, but it good enough for mushroom :D

I think the T5 is not the same as those ATI or Arcardia, as this is the lowere watts type.

the 3ft is 21Watts instead of the 39Watts.

:huh:

• SRC Member

It is true, I have their catalog at home. The brightness is not that great because of the wattage. 2ft is 20 watts, 3ft is 30W. The white tubes are rated at 12,000k and the blue tubes are rated at 17,000K.

Previously when I was using T5 tubes, I tried using Osram's T5 rated at 6000K although claimed to be useless by many, surprisingly possesses the same color temperature rating as ATI Sun Pro. This balanced with deltec's aquablue, gave me good overall whitish blue lighting over my tank. In terms of coralline algae, growth was good.

Anyway, since the light set is so cheap, just try it out and see how it goes, no harm right? Let us know the results in a few month's time.

• SRC Member

Those T5 they are selling are "True" in their diameter, but as in how the performance of the tube compare to the ATI or Deltec, I think in term of the wattage they produce, is already not a match at all. Here is more detail of Dymax being offer at Aquarama, the information can be found in their catalog

2ft 20Wx2

3ft 30Wx2

4ft 40Wx2

5ft 20Wx2 + 30Wx2

6ft 30Wx4

what I can think as a potentail is their casing, buy it as a second and remodify everything. I think the ballast inside cannot drive those ATI/Deltec tubes.

For your info on ATI/Deltec tubes only

2ft 24W

3ft 39W

4ft 54W

5ft 80W

• SRC Member
Those T5 they are selling are "True" in their diameter, but as in how the performance of the tube compare to the ATI or Deltec, I think in term of the wattage they produce, is already not a match at all. Here is more detail of Dymax being offer at Aquarama, the information can be found in their catalog

2ft 20Wx2

3ft 30Wx2

4ft 40Wx2

5ft 20Wx2 + 30Wx2

6ft 30Wx4

what I can think as a potentail is their casing, buy it as a second and remodify everything. I think the ballast inside cannot drive those ATI/Deltec tubes.

For your info on ATI/Deltec tubes only

2ft 24W

3ft 39W

4ft 54W

5ft 80W

I've tried using the normal type of T5 for 3ft (rated 21W) and install a Arcardia T5 39W. it works.

Only concern is whether the 39W tube is underdrive....that is not use at the full brightness...need those electronic guru to explain.

:D

• SRC Member

I've tried using the normal type of T5 for 3ft (rated 21W) and install a Arcardia T5 39W. it works.

Only concern is whether the 39W tube is underdrive....that is not use at the full brightness...need those electronic guru to explain.

depends on the eballast..

• SRC Member

Unscrew the casing and see the e-ballast inside.

It will print whether the ballast can support up to 39W for each side. If not, just change to a better e-ballast. :D

By the way, how much u paid for the arcadia t5 tubes? I was quoted $50 for the marine white in Aquarama.

• SRC Member

If I'm not mistaken, I saw the 2 feet set sold at $35 at Luo Han shop at Upper Boon Keng Road. I think it is white & pink T5. But they don't sell white & actinic.

Probably white & actinic is $10 more.

Those using T5s should be able to tell that its a lot dimmer than the established T5 tubes which are properly driven.

If I remember correctly, look into the brochure for the 3ft set, and it actually stated that it uses a 55w OSRAM QuickTronic eBallast, which technically means that its actually underdriving the 02 x30w tubes

IMHO, it is at most, a good buy for the casing, but you'll have to replace to eballast, tubes and reflector (if you intend to get the most out of the T5s)

I believe its just a matter of rewiring, follow the electrical diagrams stated on the eballast casing to the detail.

To make it scalable, consider getting as close to the tube wattage as you can. Overdriving it a little is fine as long as its minute, otherwise the lifespan of the tubes will be reduced.

• SRC Member

yap look like normal FL even after a close up look at the pic! and output doesn't seem any difference frm normal FL lights... the actinic is producing a similar brightness as my $10 FL actinic for my fish only. dun think it's worthy but the ARCADIA LUMINAIRE should be much better!

• SRC Member

forgive me, i have to disagree with the comments here. currently i am placing my Dymax T5 next to my FL (Coralife 6500K). its much brighter ! FL tube for 2 ft is just 15W and this T5 is 20W. so, its good for 2 footer actually.